Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Dicky Tummy Advice

Hugo Brambles, 7 of September of 2008 at 11:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I've had a upset tummy since Friday, yesterday after a bad bout in the morning I went all day without 'going' despite rumblings and what not! However I woke up twice in the night (probably not helped as I went out for a meal last night believing I was on the road to recovery) and I've had bad cramps and and bad bout this morning. Is it normal these things last so long? I've never had an upset tummy before so its all rather a new experience for me! I've just taken some tablets which claim to help although I imagine they just mask the effects rather than address the actual cause.

7 replies

Latest activity by Anosh, 9 of December of 2023 at 15:12
  • alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

I get this with antibiotics, and as I'm taking some now I have pretty recent experience of it too ?

When I started taking this course I had bad stomach cramps on and off, but getting gradually closer together (think contractions), for about 1 1/2 - 2 days, and then very very suddenly it was a good idea to clear a path to the toilet

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

Stay at home, drink lots of water (have a little squash if you get bored of drinking water) and eat plain foods. Buttered toast etc. Its probably that you've got a bacteria or something thats making the tum grumble and has upset your stomache acids. You could always drink those Actimel things as well...they may help to stabalise it a bit.

Also, unless your are really bad I always think its best to avoid the anti diahorea tablets, as your body is obviously reacting to something so you are right that taking them will probably only mask the issue and not help it. As well, if you've had this since Friday, make an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow just to get you checked out.

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Ooh gosh how terrible for you. I've not done anything different and I'm not on antibiotics. God knows whats caused it.

• Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

My H has had similar this week. Started on Wednesday and only cleared up properly yesterday.

He hasn't taken any upset tummy medication like Immodium because they can make it worse (reverse the effects so you end up constipated instead).

What I suggest is yoghurt with a pro biotic in it (friendly bacteria stylee). The doctor advised me of this last time I had an upset stomach and it worked a treat. I have also given it to my H and it has helped somewhat.

My other advice would be to eat plain foods like potatoes, plain biscuits, bread and avoid anything with fibre in it (like cereal) for now. Drink plenty of fluids too (as obviously you can get dehydrated). Introduce your normal foods again as you begin to feel better.

Hope you get better soon!

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks WifeyLind for your advice. I'm so annoyed as its the first weekend I've had off in months and months and I get this ☹️

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Petal! I don't feel bad in myself but will try the yoghurt and avoid the other stuff.

?

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Petal! I don't feel bad in myself but will try the yoghurt and avoid the other stuff.

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics