Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

Did anyone get their male fiancé an engagement gift/ring?

I-go-by-many-names, 7 of August of 2014 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 18

My OH and I are feminists. I often feel guilty therefore by the fact we didn't do away with the engagement ring tradition. We just went along with the 'man buys woman diamond' thing without even discussing it properly. Shortly after we got engaged I said we should get something for him too, to address the equality issue. However nothing has ever come of this, and I thought it might be nice to get him something for our '1 year of being engaged' anniversary, perhaps a nice watch with our engaged date engraved on the back?

I was wondering what people thought of this idea and if anyone had done anything similar, I'd also be interested in hearing from same-sex couples and how they tackled the engagement ring issue.

18 replies

Latest activity by Jessica, 26 of February of 2024 at 08:05
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I bought him a keyring with the co-ordinates of the location where he proposed engraved on it. It was cheap, but I'm pretty broke! He liked it though.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I got my OH an engagement ring, it was his choice, I said I would get him one if he wanted to wear one. It is a titanium ring so wasn't expensive but he loves it. When we get married he will wear it on the other hand as a dress ring.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

A male friend of ours has an engagement ring. He's in his mid 40s and got married probably 10-15 years ago. He wore it on his left hand when he was engaged and now wears it on his right hand. It's a normal type wedding band but has a stone set into it.

As part of his wedding present, I got my H a set of cufflinks with maps on them, one of where we got engaged and one of where we got married.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I can think of 2 people off the top of my head who wear male engagment rings. My FMIL's soon to be hubby ( he's te one planning ther wedding and got himself a ring) and one of our friends who seen engaged for a whole now, includ act when I first saw it I handnt seen him for a whole and asked if I'd missed the wedding as it was the first time is seen a male engagment ring!

i think it's a nice idea, if he wants to have one then why not!

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a really nice idea, and seems to be becoming more common now.

My OH needed new glasses so I got those as a semi engagement present.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Iwanted to get my fiance a engagement ring but he wasn't too keen in the end so I brought him a special watch for Christmas instead and he loves it :-) will be wearing a very expensive wedding ring though (more than mine!) :-)

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I brought my husband a watch soon after our engagement it was a present just because I wanted to get him one and we'd discussed it well before we got engaged.

after my friend got engaged around five years ago his fiancée gave him an engagement ring and to be honest I thought it was a little weird and possessive but then I guess that's because I knew her and was awfully aware of their situation and unhealthy relationship at the time! (They married and are now divorced)

never come across another male with and engagement ring since again probably due to my circle of friends it would be the source of bunch batter!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mm, God forbid a man openly display commitment to a relationship. I worry my H2B will come in for some of that when he takes my name, but he doesn't seem worried at all.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one. I don't want to get him a ring as he doesn't wear jewellry and we will buy wedding rings for after we're married. I'm definitely warming to the watch idea, apart from he's so fussy I would worry about not getting him the right one and obviously if I'm getting it engraved it wouldn't be returnable. I could be really cheesey and buy him a 'dummy' watch and write on our date with a sharpie. He did this with my ring, bought me a cheap one and let me choose the 'real' one. Do you think that's naff?

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my OH has an engagement ring we went shopping for it together and he loves it. I cant say I would have chosen it personally but its his ring and as long as he is happy thats all that matters. In Austria the wedding ring and engagement ring are worn on different hands anyway.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I also bought my OH a watch as an engagement present. I was really nervous about choosing something he wouldn't like so I took his best friend along with me to help choose. It worked out really well as he knew the jeweller so I got a big discount!

My OH loved it and he wear its every day. I was going to get it engraved but couldn't decide at the time. Now I will get it done for our wedding day with the date and time or something equally as fluffy Smiley smile

I think the 'dummy watch' idea is a good one, especially if that is what he did for you!

• South Hill Designs UK
    South Hill Designs UK ·
    • Hide content

We sell male products now, may be worth a look www.southhilldesigns.com/zoepierson

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

My ex-husband completely surprised me when he mentioned that he'd like to have an engagement ring. It hadn't occurred to me at all that men would want/like such a thing. We got engaged in the October and after taking on board his comment I bought him an engagement ring for valentines day the year after.

The dummy watch idea isn't a bad one. H2B did that with my engagement ring. He proposed to me with a rubber 'o' ring which was HUGE and we chose a ring together. The bugger did make me wear the rubber one until the real one was ready to be collected after being resized though. It was a nightmare trying to keep it on my finger and I lost it several times. One time it even went into the bin along with a load of vegetable peelings. H2B just handed me a torch and wished me luck finding it!!!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My h2b completely surprised me with our engagement the day before my birthday. I had however already planned a surprise trip to Budapest for his Bday, so we evened out!

• S
    Beginner January 2016
    Stephanie104 ·
    • Hide content

I got him a watch Smiley smile It was more that I felt I was getting a 'gift' with my ring and I wanted him to have something too

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I kind of proposed to each other at the same time although technically he did it first and then I gave him a box! I chose a ring for him (I guessed the size based on the male average and got it right!) and he wears it daily. So yeah, we both wear engagement rings!

• J
    Beginner June 2024 British Columbia
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    Hello everyone!! I have googled and found a small group that really applies to me but I still have a question!! (It's been years I believe since anyone has commented on this thread but I'm throwing it out there!)

I too spoke with my fiance before and after we got engaged and he had mentioned he wanted an engagement ring! So I got my group of friends together, decked out our room with flowers and fairy lights and gor down on one knee and had a ring for him and he was beyond surprised!
    Our wedding is in June and now I'm thinking... hmmm. Do I get a little wedding band to go with it, do I get cufflinks, a watch or just hold onto his ring and give him the same one he's been wearing for almost a year now?! I spent a pretty penny on his band and it's meant to be a wedding band. He picked it out and loves it but I'm sitting here now like damn. Should I have gotten a different gift and waited? Did I take away the special-ness of him getting his band he day of the wedding?
    Any help is appreciated!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics