Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018

Did anyone here buy a high street dress?

SoontobeMrsS, 8 of March of 2016 at 09:40 Posted on Planning 0 10

I'm quite taken with the offerings from Monsoon and Phase Eight, and they're certainly wallet friendly compared to my other favourites (Jenny Packham)

Is there anywhere else I can look? I'm also going to go to a boutique just to give myself the chance to change my mind, but we are doing for informal, fun, low key, so I feel like a big A line or mermaid jobby won't quite do the trick!

10 replies

Latest activity by Jessica, 16 of November of 2023 at 19:57
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I very nearly bought a dress from the Monsoon outlet store in Cheshire Oaks Shopping Park, and I think it was only something like £100! They do some really nice ones in there- casual floaty numbers and also the lacy more traditional ones that people go for.

BHS do some quite nice ones- different lengths and things like that.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yes. Monsoon had one I loved in the season before me but by the time I was dress shopping they didn't sell it anymore and I couldn't find one anywhere. In the end my dress was from *cough* Primark.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Wow! Was it a traditional looking dress? Would you object to a flash InkedDoll?

Soon-To-Be-Riley, I didn't know Monsoon had outlets. Definitely worth investigation.

I'm also going to try a couple in BHS. They're quite simple but I'm not bad with a sewing machine and if one complimented my figure I'd happily jazz it up, or buy a belt/bolero.

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

I had my dress from House of Fraser, but fancied loads in Coast, Monsoon etc.

Here's mine - £140.

• H
    Beginner March 2016
    Hedgemog ·
    • Hide content

I had a look in Monsoon and BHS and although the dresses were nice I think Debenhams have a better choice of different styles and materials. Debenhams also have Phase Eight. Unfortunately for me I still couldn't afford any of them so turned to eBay and got mine for £16!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

SIL to be's friend is a manager at John Lewis London so will get me a cheeky discount if I go for Phase Eight. The upside with Phase Eight is they are the kind of dresses I could dye a pastel blue or grey and wear again at a black tie do!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at all. And no, it wasn't! Here it is (I hate my face in this pic, but there we are):

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I think ASOS has a new collection of wedding dresses and bridal accessories.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Lovely InkedDoll! We actually looked at Gretna Green at one point Smiley smile

• J
    Curious July 2024 Norfolk
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    My dress for next year is from Monsoon and I love it. Being a bit older (40) I couldn’t really picture myself in a traditional gown, and didn’t want to spend thousands. Its tea length which I love. As a surprise I have also got a different dress for the evening, which I got in the Needle and Thread sale, this one is more glamourous. I love them both, spent about £500 between them and can’t wait to wear them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics