Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Did you bustle your wedding dress?

3 August, 2011 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 41

I think that is the correct term?

I went to have my 1st fitting on Monday. I have had a train added to my dress - a puddle train - that goes out at the back but also at the sides slightly.

She asked if I wanted a button and a look added at the back so I could put it up at night. I decided not to as I didnt want to ruin the soft, sleek look of the back of the dress by adding a button. I know it would only be tiny but I didnt want to do it.

I have mentioned it to a couple of people who think I am mad and that it will drive me insane all night.

What did/are you doing?

41 replies

Latest activity by *libby*, 4 August, 2011 at 16:06
  • Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I'm bustling mine.

The back of mine has sort of three folds to it and is quite long and I will probably have had enough by the evening! She's bustling it a little lower so more of the dress is hooked up but still keeps the back looking lovely.

at least that way I have the option and I'm sure I won't notice a little hook. She's also adding a smaller loop inside in case I need to lift the bottom up when walking.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I bustled mine. My dress was annoying me so much that in the end I got my BM to do it earlier than I was planning. I had ribbons on mine so the train disapeared inside and was tied in place.

I have photos on FB if you want to see.

• R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

The back and train of my dress feels quite big so I guess will be a handful to steer in the evening so intend to get a bustle hook of sorts fitted. I do feel a little upset that I'll be hiding, what I feel is, the best bit of the dress but will discuss it with the dress maker when I have my first fitting. Does anyone know where I can see some pics of before and after versions of different dresses hanging and then bustled up? x

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

Mine is being bustled, like Mooey I have ribbons on the inside and my CBM came to the last fitting to learn how to tie it up. Mine has a longish train though, and I'm having a ceilidh, so much as I might like to swish around all night in it, it's just not practical.

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Hi

My dress had a train and I had button added so I could bustle it up - mines ended up bustled up during the day due to rain and being majority of time outdoors. I really would recommend it as I found my dress hard to walk in and to carry it was heavy and hard to get around guests. I also recommend taking a spare button and sewing kit as my button came off later in night and I had to have it sewn back on a few times, xx

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad you mentioned this as the woman at the bridal shop said not to get a button as they can't handle the weight of the dress.

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree Mooey my dress drove me insane lol with the train we ended up sewing it directly onto dress later at night just so I could move around more freely - xx

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

First time round I had a dress with a small train - and people kept standing on it and driving me nuts. So I'd recommend a removable train or some kind of bustling to keep it under control for the evening.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

My dress has a train but currently no button or whatever to bustle so I am going to make an appt with a seamstress to fit a bustle. If a button isn't recommended what should I ask for instead?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Ribbons to tie it up with - at least if the bow comes undone, you only have to tie it up again...

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of ribbons underneath Mooey, I guess that this way most of the back detail doesn't get hidden?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can see when mine is bustled in the dancing photos.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I didn't. I enjoyed "swooshing" around in it too much!

• MrsJenLarkin
    Beginner January 2012
    MrsJenLarkin ·
    • Hide content

I would have the bustle put in just in case. Then if you don't use it great, but if you do get tired of it being there, you can get rid and hitch it up.

I found towards the evening time, I was sick of either dragging it around behind me, or carrying it via the train loop. Mine was bustled with a loop on the inside towards the bottom of my corset and two ribbons further down the train so I could feed them through and tied in a bow. xx

• rachieb13782
    Beginner August 2011
    rachieb13782 ·
    • Hide content

I had mine bustled the other week, best thing i have done! I now don't need to worry about heals ripping through the dress! Also only cost me £5 Bargain!!! ?

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    Angelgirlie ·
    • Hide content

I had a bustle added. I loved swishing it around during the day but as soon as it was time for the first dance I had it put up. Was so much easier and I danced loads. I would advice bringing safety pins etc as someone still managed to stnad on mine and it pulled it down the hook was broken so my sister just safety pinned my train up. She was fab you couldnt even see it. When I took it off that night and undid the pin (it was one of the big ones) it was totally bent so the train must have weighed loads even though it was really short.

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

What does a bustle look like? x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine had ribbons to bustle up... I left it down as long as possible but thought best to bustle when I kept dragging the table plan and chairs around with me!!!

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of having ribbons added to mine so I can bustle it. Would be interested if anyone has any flashes of their dress bustled though....

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

Before I say what ive done i have to say that my dress was only £200! ts a copy of Mark Lesley eve so has lots of tiers of fabric. I had a long train added to it and my mum has basically lopped it off and reattached it so i have a train for the ceremony then can take it off for the night to have a very small train, very small, for the evening.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Not bustled...

Bustled...

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that, my seamstress pulled something on the back which lifted my train but wasn't sure what it was called! x

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

I will be having one, not sure what type yet as I will have a chat to the seamstress about what would be best for my dress. But, I found this article really useful for understanding different types of bustle. Hope that helps

https://www.weddingwire.com/projectwedding-is-now-weddingwire

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Will bustle. Have very light puddle train that will be held up with two layers of buttons, in an asymmetric pattern to keep the back of the train detail displayed.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Not adding anything to the thread as I'm having a tea length dress -sorry! Just wanted to say - Mrs C, that photo on the dancefloor is brilliant!

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I am hoping to bustle, I hope the seamstress can make it work with a tulle skirt. I can imagine being very tired at the end of a long day dragging a long train around! Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had a dance off... ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I did, my dress had buttons all the way down the back so she just added a small loop under the bottom of the skirt!

my train was huge though. i kept it down for the first dance because i wanted to swoosh it around but put it up after. im the time b4 the first dance when eve guests were arriving and i was walking around it was annoying and ppl kept standing on it! it was big though!

ive just gone through my pics to get a b4 and after shot and there are a few from the eve where ive got the skirt scooped up in my hand! ?

(apologies for the PDA!!!! ? )

what is the back of your dress like? is it worh having a button put on "just in case" or some brides get a loop attached under the bottom to link their hand through!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Mine couldn't be bustled, there was no way of doing it so I couldn't. Didn't bother me in the slightest on the day - can't say I noticed it beind me at all!

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the button put on mine... At the end of my train there is a triangular-ish arrangement of glitter, beads and pearls which will look fab when it's buttoned up! :o)

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

First time I got married I had a train and it bustled underneath with a button. The train was huge so the it was quite heavy and the button broke so I had it attached with safety pins!! Even so it was dragging on the floor a bit and people would step back and stand on a bit of the train and as I would walk away the safety pins would all come undone etc. and i pretty much had my train wrapped around my arm for pretty much most of the night!!

It annoyed me so much that this time round I am having a dress with no train!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics