Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CarlaNath2013
Beginner May 2013

Did you choose your Engagement ring???

CarlaNath2013, 22 November, 2011 at 12:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 49

My bf has left the decision up to me and have been looking for agesss but i just didnt know what i wanted , didnt realise how much choice there actually was and some a rediculuosly priced haha.

Anyhooo i need some engagement ring advice whats hot and whats not. Im looking at a 18ct white gold princess cut 12stone cluster .60ct diamond its lovely, i would not have chose this ring untill i started trying rings on and it really suits my finger. Smiley smile so excited to get a ring its jus taking ages as needs to be perfect. Heres a flash of the one im looking at x

49 replies

Latest activity by Pinky6, 23 November, 2011 at 00:35
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

No, my (now) husband chose it.

As for what's hot and what's not, it depends on what sort of thing you like - it's going to be you wearing it forever more after all!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

That's the same as my ring.

My husband chose mine and it was a complete surprise.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

H2B chose mine. I'd sent him loads of "hints" with pictures of rings I liked, but he chose something completely different, which I absolutely adore.

Go for what you like, not what's "hot". Like other have said, you'll be the one wearing it for the rest of your life.

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

My fiance chose my ring so it was a big surprise when he a) proposed and b) told me had chosen the ring by himself as it's perfect and even better than I would have chosen.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mr C had mine made and suprised me with it.

• CarlaNath2013
    Beginner May 2013
    CarlaNath2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, yeah your right i have to pick something thats for me and suits me and this style ring suits me as i have chubby fingers and solitaries just look lost on me , i do love this one tho think i may go for it. Ive never looked at engagement rings before and just caught up in all the sparkle hehe > suppose its like getting you dress

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Thats lovely im sure my step mum has that one. Id been hinting as we walked past jewellers which ones i liked and sometimes id blatantly point at it and say 'thats the one i love' ?

The boy done good and surprised me with it!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here. The company who made it was even called Bates & Co!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

We chose mine together. I went for a classic style (solitaire) that won't really go out of fashion.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

My H chose mine and I couldnt have picked better, it was simply beautiful and I love it! I agree with cricks I dont think there is a fashion when it comes to choosing a ring its what you personally like. Would you not trust him to choose it for you?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I chose my ring, I knew the shape I wanted, the size of diamond and could not have prongs as scared of losing stone/s so it was easier this way. I was still over the moon when he decided when to give it to me ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh, that's who you are! Haven't been around much so missed the name change!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

H chose mine, I had no idea he was going to propose. I love that the ring was his choice, it means more to me because he chose it. It's quite an unusual setting too. Looking at this pic though makes me think I really need to get my rings dipped (ooh err missus).

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here too.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ah same here, just clicked!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My husband chose the design and style of mine, and then I came along and tweaked the diamond size a bit.

The best advice I can give is that, if your going to have a choice, try it on with Wedding rings too - because as much as I adore my Engagement ring, the shape and cut meant that I couldn't have my first choice wedding ring - not that I mind, mine is fab, but i'd just wished we'd thought about it first - If that makes sense?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

In reply to OP, no i didnt, Mr F knew i didnt like solitaire rings and thats it...i loved it even more that he picked it on his own!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't realise until I went to get mine cleaned that him indoors had mine made with a 'wed-fit' fitting. Meaning most wedding rings slip under the stone and sit flush against the engagement ring band. Handy!

• CarlaNath2013
    Beginner May 2013
    CarlaNath2013 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If he got it id prob love it anyway simply because he chose it, but its what he wanted he wanted us to go and choose together make a kind of event of it if you know what i mean.

He says hes glad he decided this way as he would have chose something completely different , im also getting him a watch which im getting engraved and hes choosing thatso its just the way weve chose to do things Smiley smile

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oops sorry ladies! It is (or should be) in my signature, but it was a rubbish name so I changed it. Kept the sparkly shoe for a couple of days but then changed to the Christmas shoe!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine is also 18carat white gold - I am finding it scratches and dulls very easily (but I also never ever take them off) so will need a regular dip and polish...

These were my rings at 6 months old...

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a good one of mine together. They're still pretty sparkly though and they virtually never come off (my w ring never does).

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It's amazing what a bit of household ammonia will do to a diamond ring. I pop a few drops of the vile smelling stuff in a glass of water, pop my ring in and leave it to stand for about half an hour. Gets rid of any grease that is dulling the sparkle. I get mine properly cleaned every year for a fiver in toon, and the jeweller also checks that the stone is still secure.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sames..tried my wedding ring on again on saturday and the difference between the two is unbelieveable!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Think I may treat my rings to a polish every February, in time for wedding anniversary in March!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

If that's the one you love then that's the one you should get. Everyone has their own taste and fashions come and go. What's important is that you're happy to wear it for the rest of your life.

I have been with my OH for 13 years and down the line I must have dropped hints (not recently though as I thought the time to get engaged and married had passed) Anyway he rembered all the things I love and got me the perfect ring for a surprise proposal. Mine is a princess cut solitaire, 0.7 carat vvs clarity, 18kt white gold. I adore it.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

@ Kharv - i've never heard of that, but it sounds fab! That said, nothing would make a difference for me, due to the shapre of the ER as a whole (which is what I love about it).

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

H chose mine. I wouldn't have picked it myself as it is yellow gold but I'm actually glad he did as I now have my nans wedding ring which is yellow gold too.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

I chose mine - I wouldn't trust H to get it right as he is hopeless with jewellery, and I am fussy. Mine is 18ct white gold with princess cut diamond (well 4 small square diamonds set in a big square iykwim).

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

Hubby proposed without a ring (long story in one of the proposal threads)

We picked mine together. Had it made, which was an excrutiating 2 week wait (LOL) but well worth it. I had a pear shaped diamond in platinum setting.

If you can, go to a none chain type shop, that gives you room to negotiate on price too!

I got mine from the jewellery quarter in birmingham

its all about taste Smiley smile

My advice........? Dont decide hastily, I was gutted about having to wait for mine, I wanted it there and then and wanted to show it off, dont "settle" for something less for the sake of waiting a while to have it made or to get the one you want sized, or dipped or altered or ordered in! ENJOY whatever you decide!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I had a very specific idea of the engagement ring I wnated which I shared with OH, however when he suddenly supprised me on a weekend away by going down on one knee, pulling out a ring and popping the question, it was nothing like 'my dream ring'

however he had spent ages looking at rings and the style i had liked and chose this shape diamond and this setting as he loved it, and felt it was a classic engagement ring style.

I love it to bits because of the time, though and love that went into choosing it!

like CB said, this is a piece of jewellery that you will wear every day for the rest of your life, avoid, what is fashionable and chose something you love!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

H designed mine and surprised me with it.

He was sneaky though...when we'd only been dating a few months we were walking through town and stopped to look in the window of a couple of jewellers, and he not only managed to get my opinion on what kind of ring I wanted, but remembered this 3 years later! He even managed to measure my hand before buying it, without me realising what he was doing.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics