Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner August 2011

did you go to dress fitting alone

daisydooberry, 25 March, 2011 at 11:30 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone,

I had my 1st dress fitting last week and my cbm, actually my only bm, wouldnt leave her lo in nursery for the lunch time so she could come with me. Mainly because she would have to pay a little bit more. The dressmaker is only available 2 days a week and I work one of those, my cbm doesnt work as she is sahm. This means that also she wont be coming to my next fitting, same problem. I feel really upset by this as she hasnt really been very helpful at all, only with the bits she wants to do, but is very keen to point out that she is cbm.

Am I being stupid and over sensitive? I havent said anything to her but the more I think of it the more upset I get.

Can I have some honest opinions please A bad case of pmt at the moment or justified?

10 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 25 March, 2011 at 14:08
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

a bit......the dress shop for me in literally 2min drive so when the time comes, il be popping down in my lunch hour to have mine done, and alone as well!! not really worth people taking time out fo their busy lives to come and see me stand in my dress getting pinned! when its done, yes, but while they faffing,nah

shes got a LO remember!!

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I have only taken someone with me to my first appointment but that was only to try on a sample.. I chose a dress maker close to me but far away from my family!

My mum lives pretty far away and it is difficult for her to get to me to come to the dress fittings without her partner and I don't want him to see my dress.. I am happy with my own decision and choices so I am not to bothered about going alone!

I think I will have to take a good friend with me once the dress is finished in the next couple of weeks to make sure she can do up the laces!

Would your dress lady not do different timed appointments to fit around your CBM, sometimes it is worth an ask?

Good luck!?

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I can understand you feeling miffed.

But if its going to cost her money (and from what I hear other parents sat childcare is really expensive) I would try not to take it personally and it as practicalities keeping her away from your fittings.

Saying that my mum will be at all my fittings - I def think you should have someone with you though.x

• K
    Beginner April 2011
    Keli ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I took my mum and sister with me when i picked the dress. Mum then came once it arrived in the shop.

I now need a fitting because the dress is to big, and as they can only do week days, my mum will watch my boys whilst I go on my own and then I will take mum and sister with me once it has been altered for the final fitting, so they can learn how to do me up.

To be honest, I happy doing it this way as mum/sister has already seen the dress, and they don't not need to sit around whilst they pin the dress ect... and then they will get to see the final version, before the wedding day.

Kelixx

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

I took my MIL2b with me, same as i did when I picked the dress originally.

TBH I think she really wanted to come as it was her suggestion that we went originally to see if it had come in, and then again for both fittings.

I think she gets a bit of a kick from doing the girlie stuff though as she only has OH, so no chance to do it otherwise. She's also a seamstress, so I think she wanted to make sure they'd done a proper job too!?

She'll also be coming with me when I go to pick it up in <gulp!> just under 4 weeks?

• D
    Beginner August 2011
    daisydooberry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. All I keep thinking about at the mo is weddings, think Im losing sense of perspective!

I think Im mostly upset as she has left lo at nursery other times when she has had something planned, but wouldnt do it for my fitting.

Hopefully next week I will be sane and rational; again!!!!

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about it chick. I think we all have a couple of really little things that just tip us over the edge for a few minutes, you'll be fine again in a couple of days.?

• M
    Beginner November 2011
    mrs2bsoon ·
    • Hide content

I understand you feeling upset! I went to my fitting on my own but will have someone there when I have the final one so they know how to tie me up. I was a bit upset with my cbm when she decided that she didn't want to come dress shopping with me! I soon realised that her life doesn't revolve around weddings and I should cut her some slack. Easier said than done because I still get fed up when she makes a comment about there being plenty of time etc but thats us bridezilla's for you lol.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, in this situation, I wouldn't be cross. I imagine a dress fitting is pretty boring (providing she's already seen the dress, then it might be more exciting for her) and really, what input can she have? I would rather be on my own at mine but I'm pretty sure my Mum will insist on coming. However, she was a tailor so I can see why she might be keen.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I went on my own out of choice - my dress has a zip so nobody should need any instructions on how to do it up for me ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics