Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2011

did you pay for yourself on your hen do?

MISSMAYFLOWER, 24 January, 2011 at 16:00 Posted on Planning 0 32

Pretty much as the title says really just wondered if you paid for yourself on your hen do (or are planning to) or whether your bridesmaids set it up so everyone covered a bit of your price.

This is more for hen do's you are not organising yourself and also was mainly thinking about the actual accommodation.

The hen do's I've been on we've always paid for the bride but just wondered if this is normal?

32 replies

Latest activity by little_miss, 28 January, 2011 at 13:04
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sames here, i organised my best mates last year and we all paid a wee bit more to cover her costs!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think that's what traditionally happens.

I will probably insist on paying for myself as a lot of my ladies aren't loaded and I'd rather their extra cash went on an extra drink or some fudge cake at dinner! haha.

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content

Ive just come back from a hen do in New York and we pretty much paid for the whole lot for the bride which caused a few arguements seens as it was her idea to go there in the first place, but on the whole if it were a weekend away in this country or a night out we would cover the brides costs!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

When I watch DTTB the hen/stag dos seem to be paid for out of the wedding budget (so wrong!).

I wouldn't expect people to pay for me though on my hen do, I have never done this (paid for the hen) at the ones I have been to...

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt want anyone to pay for me. Money is tight for everyone and im happy to pay my way.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I'm insisting on paying my way too as eveyone is short of money these days. No idea what the do is yet - my daughter has arranged it as a surprise.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

All of the hen parties I have been on, the hen's 'cost' has been split by those attending the party. My sisters are organising mine and so far all of the money I've tried to give them has been returned to me. I'm assuming that mine will be paid for.

I am having another hen party in London that I've organised. This includes both mums and other family. We'll all be paying for our food and I'm going to buy a few bottles of champagne so we can all have a glass or two during the afternoon tea.

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    laura2107 ·
    • Hide content

Im going for a long weekend in Marbella...I have paid for myself. I wouldnt expect anyone to pay for me, its not cheap and was my idea to go so I feel i should pay my way. I am more than happy to anyway Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content

Im the opposite with my hen party, im paying for all of them to come away with me!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm in it with ya, sista!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

My flights & hotel are being paid for..my bridesmaid is sorting it all, i know where im going & when & thats about it!

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

see thats the same with me but my bridesmaids who are organising have just asked me for the money. I'm not being ungrateful but I could have organised it myself and done it cheaper and more what I wanted so I'm just a bit suprised. We all earn about the same so its not that I have more money and I wanted a cheap break. I'm happy to pay my own way, I would just probably have organised what I wanted if that was the case! Plus, it would have been less than £10 each i think to cover the costs which doesn't seem a lot

Oh well, another issue to add to the bridesmaid list!

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

My sister's organising mine and has asked if people would chip in an extra £5 to help towards to cost of me going. I'm happy to pay, but it would be lovely if people were happy to pay for me too!

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I know my BM's will want to pay for me but I'm going to make sure I pay for myself. We are much better off finacially than they are (one does a job which is more of a vocation with naff pay & the other is a student) so I wouldn't feel comfortable with them paying for me. I hope we're going to have a spa day followed by seeing a show & maybe a bit of girly shopping & I hope the girls will let me at least pay for their spa days as neither of them have a lot of money & they are being very supportive BM's so far.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I paid my accomodation, and we had a kitty for drinks which i paid into.

However my friends did pay for stuff like champagne, cakes, and fancy dress outfits and props for me as they were organising it all.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I paid for mine!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I organised mine and paid for it. I even bought most of the drinks. My bridesmaids did nada. Still smarting about the whole thing now. They didn't even do anything at the wedding!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I actually thought my costs would be covered by everyone, seeing as that's what we did for my CBMs do, but I'm paying for myself! I don't mind too much cause one BM is a housewife and the other a student so I can afford it more than them but still.. ?

Maybe they might offer when we go out for dinner and drinks nearer the time?! lol

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Kat you sounds in a similar situation to me - bit disappointing isn't it! I hope they'll have suprises planned on the weekend though, although given there performance so far as bridesmaids I think i'd better manage my expectations better!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I've not been asked for any money from my BMs and I know they've all paid a deposit and the second payment is coming up...feel a bit bad for not offering to pay something now but I just assumed they'd ask if they wanted some money.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

maybe offering was my mistake! ?

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

We are going to Spain for my hen do. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for me. I know they are planning things to dress me up in etc- and they will all chip in for extra things whilst we are there.

All the hen parties and weekends that i have organised, we have all paid for ourselves and anything else that i wanted to do for the Hen I have paid out for myself.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

No I would never expect them to pay for me, its enough of an expense for them anyway. I'm sure they will buy me a drink or 2 tho.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I have to say I was slightly miffed lol (not meant to sound selfish/greedy!). To be fair though, my CBM has said she's planning lots of things I won't know about and she's been great with helping with anything I need so far and I know on the day all 3 of them will be there to help me ?

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

Im paying for mine we a going abroad for the weekend and appreciate the grils are paying out more than is normal on a hen night.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

When I organised my SIL's hen do I just added a little to each girl's costs. So she paid nothing (apart from a few drinks and her lunch on the saturday) and we paid £200 each for a fab weekend in London full of activities

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

My sisters and friends organised my whole hen night, I didn't have a clue about any of it until each thing happened. I was very lucky and I didn't pay a thing. It has been the same with all Hen Do's I have been on or organised, the cost of the bride to be is always split!

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying for myself and wouldn't expect any different. My mum has said she wants to buy little bits like sashes, party accessories (I was going to get some off eBay and got shouted at ?), and a few people have said I don't have to worry about drinks on the night.

I'm going to a hen night soon and I'm BM. I think it's a bit unfair tbh to be 'expected' to do something jut because you're BM but that's just me.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you can expect everyone else to pay for you, especially if you have dictated the plans or if it's going to be expensive. It should just be an unexpected bonus. If I were to invite people out to dinner for my birthday, for example, I wouldn't expect them all to pay for me. It's the same principle really. If your share doesn't end up being split between the others, just be grateful that they are paying to attend in the first place. Don't forget, attending the actual wedding won't exactly be cheap, and times are hard at the moment.

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

I've only been to one hen do where the cost of the bride was covered and I was a bit annoyed at that as her and her OH are loaded and better off than most people that attended. However there were 22 of us so it didn't come to much.

I insisted that I pay for my own place on my hen. I could never dream of asking other people to pay for me. It is my choice to go away for the weekend and a lot of my friends don't have a lot of money.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics