Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner September 2017

Dietary requirments - fish and chip van

Womanonabudget, 6 of July of 2016 at 12:02 Posted on Planning 0 5

Sooo… we have booked a fish and chip van for our evening catering. This fits in nicely with our festival themed wedding and also it's a cheaper alternative to a sit down meal.We have met with several suppliers and we have chosen the one that we like best, in terms of his service and also his fish and chips were lovely!Here comes my dilemma ….. he has come back to say that if we have vegetarians he will supply a cheese and onion pasty but we need to tell those people that the chips will have been cooked in the same oil as meat products, i.e. sausages. I know that this will not bother some vegetarians and it will others but I feel that there are options for them, i.e. pasta and peas or something like that.Here is my bigger dilemma…. He has said that he doesn't cater for celiacs or coeliacs, i.e. he doesn't use a special batter for people suffering with these issues…Now as far as we know we don't have anyone attending who suffers from these issues but there may well be someone’s other half who we don't know that might.We really don't know what to do as we really want this particular guy (fish and chip man), we have asked one of the other suppliers that we met with and they charge an extra £4.50 per person (everyone, not just the celiacs/coeliacs) so as you can imagine that bumps the bill up an awful lot.Whilst I know that they won’t be able to eat the fish because of the batter, what could they eat??? Can they eat the chips?Are we just reading far too much into this, should we just go with our chosen supplier and worry about it if we get responses from people with that condition?? I just don't know how to play this one?? It might be that if we change our supplier we don't have any?? Has anyone else had any experience of this????

5 replies

Latest activity by Ash953, 8 of July of 2016 at 12:38
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

As a vegan, I don't eat the chips at work (work in a cafe) as they are fried in the same oil as everything else. I imagine it would be similar for vegetarians, as though they eat eggs and cheese etc, they would still be frying chips in oil that's fried meat.

As for the gluten side of things, can he not change the flour for you? Though GF flour is more expensive, so as you've already found, would probably bump the cost up. There are plenty of pasta/couscous/rice alternatives for people who aren't likely to eat meat.

From personal experience, if I was a friend of a friend invite and didn't really know the couple, and I knew it was a fish and chip van, I wouldn't expect to have my needs catered for (as nice as it would be, and it's great you're thinking like this ?) I would probably bring something myself I knew was ok. Though it would be lovely to have a couple of things on standby if you book the van and later find out there are specific requirements, so it shows that you've gone to the effort to consider everyone on the day

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you do a quick ask around now in regards to the celiacs/coeliacs? Then you know if you should be expecting anyone and if you need to even worry about it.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

On the issue of the veggies, as you say some will mind their food being cooked in oil that has had meat products cooked in it, some wont.... if you are ONLY having Fish and Chips OR Veggie pasties, can you ask the guy to make sure there is fresh oil in the fryers (even if you have to pay for it!) so that it's only fish (which a lot of veggies eat anyway) and not meat that has been cooked in the oil? If I was veggie, I'd cope with that, but I don't think I'd eat chips that had been cooked in the same oil as sausages!

With regard to the coeliacs... I have two friends who are coeliac- one would eat the chips (even if they had been cooked with the fish in 'normal' batter) as that level of 'contamination' wouldn't affect her too much... the other one wouldn't eat anything out of the van or provided by ANY caterer (unless it was a specific coeliac caterer!) because there are gluten products there- even the tiniest bit of contamination (one breadcrumb) will put her in hospital.

I would be inclined to ask around those that you definitely know are coming and see if any are coeliac or have other allergies/restrictions- if none are coeliac, then just let the veggies know and let them make their own decisons/bring their own food if they want to. If any are coeliac, talk to them and find out what they think- most coeliacs are so used to providing their own food they don't think twice about it and the ones I know certainly wouldn't expect me to provide gluten free batter (which is vile by the way!) for everyone just to accommodate them!

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

Btw the fish and chips sound yummy!

Anyway I wouldn't worry to much, choose the man you like. When you get you RSVPs you probably won't have as many dietary requirements as you think, for the vegetarians maybe offer a pasta salad to go with the vegettian pasty and if you get any vegans or coeliac you can look up what to buy then.

I have 90 guests I have 1 vegetarian which is easy as we're having a picnic theme so just buying all ready cooked vegi bits from supermarket, we also have one guest who is gluten and dairy free which is tricky but I'm just again buying replacements from Sainsburys as they have a big range.

Try not to worry until your RSVPs are in.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Vegetarians don't eat fish. If they do, they are pescetarian, not vegetarian.

I personally wouldn't touch anything that had been fried in the same oil as meat. So you really just need to think carefully about the needs of your guests. As someone who has been stuck at a wedding for 14 hours in a boiling hot venue and could only eat potatoes all day, I can tell you that missing out on the food while other people are stuffing their faces is a fairly miserable experience, even if it is by choice. I always take snacks in my handbag now, but not everyone is so well prepared.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

You have two issues:

1.) Vegetarian options where your chips will be fried with meat products. This won't be acceptable to many vegetarians. I suggest you provide an alternative for these folks - perhaps potato chips or potato mash or salad (e.g. lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, etc.).

2.) Gluten-free options for coeliacs. I'd ask what allergies people have on the RSVPs if that's still possible. If you have no coeliacs then you have no problems. Coeliacs cannot eat gluten which is a protein in wheat, rye, barley and oats so chips would be OK, but the batter for the fish might not be. Once again, you'll need to find an acceptable alternative like grilled fish or sausage.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics