Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cosmopolitan
Beginner August 2010

Dieting to fit into wedding dress

Cosmopolitan, 22 of March of 2009 at 08:05 Posted on Planning 0 19

We've just confirmed our date and I want to order my dress now!

I saw a dress years ago in a magazine and always said I would have that when I got married. Anyway, I popped into a local Bridal shop on Friday to see if they had it and they did! I tried it on and loved it but I know I need to try other dresses on.

Now my concern is that I want to lose 2 stone before the wedding (18 months to go). Can I order my dress now in a smaller size or is that too risky? If I leave it till I've lost a bit of weight I'm worried that they won't make it anymore!

What have other people done?

19 replies

Latest activity by Kim, 15 of February of 2022 at 22:16
  • sazelbean
    Beginner February 2010
    sazelbean ·
    • Hide content

I want to loose 1 and half stone before my wedding in feb. HAve already ordered dress but in size i am now as i didn't want to put pressure on myself and also if i don't manage it i will be gutted next feb. Am lucky with my dress as it is tied up the back so have couple of inches to play with anyway.

I suggest maybe waiting 3 months and see how much you can loose in that time. I don't think its a good idea to order in smaller size (most bridal shops don't like doing this anyway) and most dresses can be taken in by a couple of sizes fairly easily too.

Don't forget to flash your pics!! lol

x

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content

It depends on how motivated you are to lose the weight I guess.

I used to be size 14-16, and have over the past 4 years got down to size 10. I got measured for my wedding dress and I was between an 8 and 10.

I have been finding it really difficult to shift this last bit of weight, but once I had ordered my dress the size smaller I felt the greatest motivation ever to lose the last bit of weight! And actually i tried on my size 8 dress yesterday and it fits! woohoooo!

The bridal shop weren't too keen on the idea of ordering a size smaller but I wasn't about to put on weight to fit into the next size up!

Go with your gut, but take the advice of the bridal shop who can best advise you. I would definitely hold out a few months, see how much you can lose and then reassess the situation.

And yes WSBS...flash your pics!

L x

• M
    MsSunil ·
    • Hide content

Well I ordered mine with 4 1/2 stone to lose! I was a size 18 after giving birth, and now Im an easy 10-12, lost over 3 stone since october ish. I ordered the dress in a 10, and it looks better every time I try it on :-) It is very close to fitting. I say go for the smaller size hun! Its definately spurred me to lose al that weight!! xx

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

I've got my wedding dress in the wardrobe and it's a size 12. I need to loose 2 stone but I can try on my dress to see how it fits as I go along and that is a real motivational booster.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I lost 6 stones 2lbs for my wedding and ordered my dress when I had only lost 1 stone 4lbs of that. I ordered in the size I was at the time as the shop refuse to order smaller sizes - most do this as the vast majority of brides don't actually lose the weight they say they're going to. My dress was then altered by the shop to fit me. It had to be taken in by 14 inches, but you couldn't tell.

• lauralil
    Beginner September 2010
    lauralil ·
    • Hide content

Wowee ladies!! amazing weight loss...see it can definitely be done

xx

• Cosmopolitan
    Beginner August 2010
    Cosmopolitan ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the delayed reply. I posted and then went off to church.

Its the Maggie Sottero Rosemary Leigh dress /maggie-sottero?style=J192

I love it!

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

We had just come back from 6 months in America and I put on a stone and a half when I was there just munching on massive pizzas every night! So when I tried a size 10 dress on it didn't even zip up past my bum. It was the sample in the shop and she gave us £300 off it we bought that one, so we did. I had about a year to go at this point and have managed to lose a stone and just got that last wee bit to go. So it is do-able and I had the fear to keep me going as I knew I had no choice but to get into the dress.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Don't order it smaller as it is too much pressure and there have been a few brides on here that ended up having to buy another. When I ordered my dress I was a size 10 but wedding dress sizes are very weird and I measured a size 14 - 16 ? . The size 16 would have been too big in some areas and the 14 a bit too small but I did intend to lose weight so ordered the 14 but had to sign the order form to say I would lose weight and was happy with the 14.

It does fit but not as much as I'd like it to. I want my laces to be closer together and it could be a bit more comfortable so actually I wish I had the bigger size now and didn't have as much stress about losing weight.

You just never know what is going to happen between now and the next 18 months and I ended up getting every virus under the sun and for a few months couldn't do any exercise like I had planned and I was stressing the whole time I was ill which I'm sure didn't help me get better.

I'd leave your details with the shop and ask them to contact you if the dress is going to be discontinued and then work on losing weight now and see how much you manage.

The dress is lovely. x

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Mine was taken in a lot more than that!

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I ordered my dress a size bigger...just to get the extra length, glad to hear that they can take dresses in 2 sizes and maybe more but I think it might depend on your dress as well...just make sure you go to a highly recommended dressmaker ?

Would definately ask at the shop about how long before this dress is discontinued like PG said then make up your mind about how much weight you are wanting to loose and what size to order.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine was not an easy dress to alter, all the detail had to be matched up. It was all done by the in-house seamstress at my dress shop. As I said, she took it in by 14 inches and you'd never know:

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Mel there was A LOT of detail on your dress!, were you not worried about someone taking scissors to it ?, that's what will be worrying me ?

• Diamond Star Halo
    Beginner October 2004
    Diamond Star Halo ·
    • Hide content

If you're not in any rush to order it, time wise, then I'd wait a wee while to actually order it. Give yourself a chance to lose the weight first. Talk to the shop, and ask them to contact you if it's being discontinued, so you can order immediately if necessary. And ask them about timescales, and how late you can afford to leave it. The shop should be able to advise you.

Whilst dresses can be taken in, the ideal thing is to mess with them as little as possible. As a general rule, you'll be able to bring most dresses in by a couple of sizes, but not all dresses will alter as much as Mel's did without changing the look of them! It does depend on the dress, and the way it's constructed, as well as how the detail is applied.

However, it's really important to remember that a dress that is too small will make you look bigger. So I wouldn't advise ordering a dress in a smaller size unless you are absolutely CERTAIN that you can lose the weight in all the right places and get into it.

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a real personnel thing if you know and trust yourself.

When I 1st got engaged I called into the bridal shop near where I work at the time I was at my smallest with more to loose. Saw 2 lovely dresses and said I would call back. Went with my mum to try on some dresses, which none really felt right. Then the bridal shop moved near where I work so called in on the way to the bank. I looked through the dresses and found my dress the orginal dress I liked it was the sample and the line was being discontinued, now this dress is close to my current size at the time after putting on weight. I was stunned it was the dress rung my mum to come straight over. She was amazed, it was the dress. The best thing was I got it for £300. So sat back, relaxed and said yeah I will loose the extra weight no problem.

Sadly it crept back on right up to xmas. Everyone was showing there concerns and worries, not knowing I was worried. I had put on 2 1/2 stone from trying on the dress. So went in January and had a major kick up the arse and shock but this was what I personally required. Meg the lady in the shop was brill, never said a word. The dress would not go near me, it is fake 2 piece with a lace top and zipped skirt. My immediate reaction was to get it of my beutiful wedding dress not close to fitting me with 8 months till the wedding. I wanted to cry! I have worked really hard since then and have lost 1 1/2 stone and 9 1/2 inches. Alott more to loose but now it is 5 months to go it has now become a quest.

Since Jan I have been in to try on my dress about 4 times for incentive. Each time it is fitting much better, the last time I tried it was on friday. The top as always has been to big around the bust area, but the lace up is around inch of fitting and the zip is nearly up to 3 inches out of the 6 inches. Meg even says now she was worried and scared for me in Jan. Now she feels it will have to be taken in, not worried about that yet. Getting into 1st is what matters. I still have alott of weight to loose and know I will never be completely slim (years of swimming when I was younger) But I will get there I have to I am not getting another dress as I can not afford to and nothing would compare.

I am very luckly I have a good relationship with the lady in the bridal shop. We get on really well, she has helped me so much. On Friday she said to me I can go in every Friday when I call into the bank to try it on to see where its fitting better and how I am going on. I think I will stick to every few weeks when there will be a bigger difference. Meg is actually a steamstress, so I know she would be OK up to the wedding but alterations need to be started on the boddice in July.

Sorry on the long post, but wanted to explain to you my experiance so far with the ups and downs. I will be wearing it on my wedding day as I have no other option. Please think of how you are and your stammer and willpower to what size you order.

I hope this has helped, again sorry on the long post

x

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

I would like to lose some weight before my wedding day. I have 18 months to go so going to wait for another 6 months until I go dress shopping.

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't order your dress in a size smaller. TBH most dress shops won't let you anyway unless you sign to say that if you don't loose it it's not their fault. I ordered my dress in a size smaller. I was doing WW and had lost about a stone at the time and so asked for my dress to be in the next size down. When i went for my 1st fitting the dress was too small as i hadn't carried on loosing as much weight as i wanted and so i had to have the dress taken out about an inch. I was stressing about getting into the dress and tbh it's not worth it. No one other than you knows the size. If it is that you can carry on loosing weight than the dress can be made smaller anyway and it's much easier to do that than to make a dress bigger.

• NikkiVN
    NikkiVN ·
    • Hide content

I ordered my dress (from the wonderful Aliyah Rose!) a couple of weeks ago and am on a diet to try and lose at least a stone, but I just got it ordered in the size I am just now, so I am get it taken in, rather than panic if I dont lose the weight.

• K
    Beginner May 2022 South West London
    Kim ·
    • Hide content

Hi Girls!

My wedding is in May this year and I picked my dress in September 2021 in hopes of shedding the weight to fit into it!

I have not shed the weight and now I am going to my fitting when I know the dress will not fit - they have quoted alterations to fit the dress for me the same price as my dress and I feel really let down and disgusted at myself.

I want to find a cheaper place to do the fitting but should I just trust my bridal shop and take this as punshiment for not losing the weight?

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics