Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Difference between a house cat and outdoor cat...

Pittabre, 6 January, 2013 at 12:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

I know, I know it seems a fricking obvious difference but bare with me!

My cats had been housecats in that they had litter trays and spent their entire time indoors but we had somoene move in four doors down with four Simaese cats. These cats come into our garden and shout at our cats through the windows (sometimes in the middle of the bloody night) and since then my cats are desperate to get otu and chase them off. So they keep escaping and then come home again. So what percentage of time do they need to leave the hosue to be described as 'normal' cats... or is the fact that they go out at all a sign they are no longer housecats? Prior to these Siamese they would occasionally go into the garden but never venture any further. One of the cats still refuses to go out at all, but she was the previous feral cat and I think she is too frightened to g o out.

13 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 6 January, 2013 at 19:51
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Why does it matter what you label them as? ?

If they go outside at all then I'd not say they were house cats.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hitched - typed long reply - gone!

Not to label them but because they will need different things, like different vaccinations and diffeent food. You are right though they have gone eslewhere without me seeing so need to check with the vet.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Why would they need different food?

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

When cats go out doors they can acces vegetation that they can't indoors so if they need to dislogde hair balls for example they can eat grass outside but they can't if they are indoors. Although reading it back I'm just wondering if it is a con job by the vets that they need different food if just indoors but then again he advised they didn't need as many vaccinations so it might not have jsut been a rip off...

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

All cats should have basic vaccinations to cover against flu and enteritis. If they are going out at all they should also have the leukaemia virus vaccination too. Even if they just go out in the garden occassionally.

Also if they go out then they will need flea treatment, they don't need to go far to pick up fleas. Any cats that have the opportunity to catch mice or might eat other animals faeces should be wormed.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

When I first had a cat we lived in a flat so she was a house cat, when I moved she went outside. We never had a problem. Maybe I'm just a bad owner ?.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I don't advise different foods for indoor or outdoor cats.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I can understand the injection bits but I think the food bit is a con.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

My cats still had the vaccinations when they were kept in the house just to be on the safe side.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I think the indoor food is sometimes lower in fat because indoor cats generally don't get as much exercise as outdoor cats.

I wouldn't worry about the food but I would get them their jabs and consider flea & worming treatment. Stronghold is good - a spot on flea & worming treatment.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. They go in catteries so they need to have them anyway.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Cheers all. They have some vaccinations but there was one that the vet said not to worry about because they were indoor mayeb that was the leukamia one then? I didn't want to ring up and sound like a complete arse on the phone trying to work out what they needed. But they get their check up in Feb and was thinking ahead.

I always flea treat them anyway because fleas aren't just restricted to cats!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My mum's cat very rarely goes outdoors, and when she does, just follows my mum around the garden for 5 mins. The vet said she does need a lower fat diet, plus outdoor jabs - if she goes anywhere in the garden another cat has been then she is as exposed as if she stays outdoors 99% of the time.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics