Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CornishBride89
Beginner October 2015

Different Bridesmaids Dresses?

CornishBride89, 20 of May of 2015 at 13:53 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether any of you thought I was mad, or whether this is a good idea?

I have four bridesmaids who are all different shapes and sizes. Due to the budget, they've agreed to pay for their own bridesmaid dresses, but obviously the four of them don't all have the same amount to spend on a dress. To rectify this I've told them all the colour the dress needs to be and the length, and to go and find one they like and will wear again. This means that I will have four different bridesmaid dresses potentially in different shades of the same colour.

I'm hoping it will still look really good, but I'm worried about someone else turning up in a similar dress, as you won't be able to tell who the bridesmaids are!

Has anyone else done this?

15 replies

Latest activity by CornishBride89, 22 of May of 2015 at 08:51
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

This is becoming quite a popular thing to do these days and it can look lovely!

Have a look on pinterest, they have lots of mismatched bridesmaids!

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

If they have all different budgets then why don't you go with the lowest figure and then everyone can afford it? I'm sure there could be a dress which they can all agree on. However, like being said already this is becoming more popular and if they all have matching flowers than they will be identified as as a bridesmaid. I would advise this is done well in advance of the wedding so they can try it all on together and if you are not happy with the finished look, there is time to change.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks great! Your bridesmaids will be the ones holding the bouquets and walking down the aisle with you, no one will get confused Smiley smile

Just a couple of examples Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ah! Stupid thing, try again

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I like the different dresses thing! makes it more interesting. i was gonna do that but they all wanted to wear the same! haha! Foiled by my BMs

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I really like mismatched bridesmaids. Like Halloweeny, mine wanted the same.

I think it's a fantastic idea when bridesmaids are different builds so different styles or colours suit them.

I wouldn't worry about them looking the same as guests. They will be with you with flowers and other similar accessories.

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid are mismatched and all I've told them is that it needs to be maxi length and from a specific range of colours. They are all so different and I didn't want them feeling uncomfortable.

• Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zoranra ·
    • Hide content

Don't be worry. When they stand by you side together. Everyone will know that they are your bridesmaids.?

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your lovely replies! :-)

I didn't realise it was so common to have all the BMs in different dresses. I've thought about accessories and they'll all be having a small bouquet and a headband of real flowers. I think that should make them obvious enough as my BMs! :-)

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Mine all have the same dress, but I'm being a bridesmaid 5 weeks before our wedding and for that we all have different dresses. They are the same make but different styles, so the colours match perfectly and it looks really good!

I also love when BMs have the same style dress but each in a different colour, but if the reason you are doing this is so they can choose styles to suit their shape then this might not work for you

Personally, if mine were having different dresses I would have gone for one of the options above - same dress/different colours or same colour/different dresses - but that's only because I'm a bit OCD! I have seen other people do it though and it looked lovely, it's just not for me

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

My MOH had a baby 2 weeks ago so needs a dress she can feed in as baby will only be 4 weeks old at the wedding....so her dress is quite different to my other bm. Same general colour but very different style and as long as both are happy and comfortable, I know they will complement each other perfectly.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

My friend did this. The four of us all wore the same style of dress (strapless, knee length, a line) and had white bouquets, but the dresses were teal, egg yolk yellow, hot pink, and purple - all really rich, jewel colours. I was purple!

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

My 2 nieces who are my BM's, have said to them the colour I want but the pick the styles as they are two totally different personalities.

At their dad's 2 marriage they were in the same colour, different styles

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Wow, rockred they're very different but very effective! They look gorgeous

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Wow rockred! They do look good! :-)

I'm pretty confident now after all the advice that this should work. I'll have to let you all know how it goes! :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics