Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner

Different dress for evening do?

jaded18, 18 August, 2011 at 19:30 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi everyone. I am very new on here and getting married in November 2013.

I will be wearing a ball gown with a very long train for my wedding and I want to later change to an ivory cocktail dress for the reception.

2 questions

- do you think this is a good idea or would I just look silly?

- would you go for the option of changing to a more comfortable dress for dancing etc if you could?

Please be honest

Thanks ladies and gents x

14 replies

Latest activity by jaded18, 25 August, 2011 at 10:25
  • Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

It's entirely up to you. I'm wearing mine all day. As evening guests won't get to see my wedding dress. I am however having it bustled, so can tie the train up for evening do.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Hiya & welcome and hitched.

would it be an option for you to bustle the train?

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I might do this, I haven't decided yet. I found a cheap dress on ebay which I bought, although I haven't actually got the main dress sorted yet. I want to be able to dance properly, including salsa dancing and I don't think I could do that, even with the big dress bustled. Plus it might be nice to change into a more comfortable dress by the evening. i don't think I would change before the evening guests get there though. Maybe do the first dance in the main dress and spend a little time in it so evening guests can see it and then go and get changed.

I think it's upto you what you want to do and what you'll feel comfortable in.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only problem with that thought is how long it takes to get wedding dresses off - some brides report it taking over an hour if it's a particularly fiddly one with lots of buttons etc on it, plus you have the danger of damaging your hair if you're taking it off over your head.

Obviously I have no idea whether your dress is something that you might be able to change out of in 5 minutes or not - but I know a lot of people do underestimate just how long it takes, hence it may not be totally practical for the middle of the evening do - unless you have an army of assistants ready to help you get out of it!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Don't know if you've picked your main ballgown dress yet but I've seen some dresses on-line that can be converted, might be useful for your purposes eg;

/brides/wedding-dresses

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

Oh, don't get changed! You only get to wear your wedding dress once in your whole life, you should make the most of it. Having said that, I couldn't salsa dance to save my life so I'm happy to hide under a big dress! Sound like you've got some skills that you should definitely flaunt for your guests!

• haylee81
    Beginner May 2012
    haylee81 ·
    • Hide content

The amount I'm paying for mine I intend to eat, drink and sleep in it for at least a week!! Lol

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have changed out of my dress and didn't even want to take it off. It was a lot of money for one day never mind only a short period of time so I wanted to keep it on for as long as possible.

Do what you want to though. x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly WSS

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

There's no way I would change out of my wedding dress before I had to!

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this!

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

If you want to salsa and enjoy your evening definitely change! It depends on what you want from your wedding day, I suppose. But for me having fun with my guests and feeling relaxed and comfortable rates higher than showing off an expensive dress.

I had a dress with a corset and a big train and it only took two mins to get off. If your BM helps you into it, she'll be able to get you out of it quickly! I regret not having an evening dress because I felt quite tired by the weight by the end and didn't dance as much as I'd have liked to!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I took my dress off by myself and it took 2 minutes.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

If you are paying through the nose for your wedding dress I wouldnt change, and before I got married I didnt understand brides who would want to change but following on from my wedding I can see why comfort is important, I loved my wedding dress and it was rather expensive but it was a pain to drag it around with me all day especially in the evening even with the bustle BUT if I had to do it again I would still wear the dress.

If you are getting 2 dresses for the price you would pay for one wedding dress then I would go for it, think of the comfort!

• J
    Beginner
    jaded18 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

thank you so much for your advice. I think I'll go with the shorter dress but change a bit later than initially planned.

will flash when i get the dresses. watch this space Smiley smile

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics