Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2021 West Midlands

Difficult Bridesmaid

Sunshine85, 2 of September of 2020 at 14:45 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi Ladies, Im new to this forum stuff but thought i would give it a go for some help. I am getting married next year abroad and me and my partner wanted to get our family involved as we are really appreciative that they are paying to come abroad, although a lot of them are using it as there weeks holiday with their kids, so we have a big bridal party. I have 6 adult bridesmaids and a few flower girls. I am very aware that they are all different shapes and sizes so said that i wouldn't force one dress on them all and if they want they can all have different dresses, as long as it fits our vision, we have told them the colour, narrowed down the fabric and it has left 10 different choices for them all to chose from, which i sent to them.Just a bit of extra info) We are paying the majority for the dress and they will all end up just having to pay about £20 or £30 towards it. We are also paying for their hair to be done and again I have given them a selection of choices of 4 hairstyles for them to pick from, I've said wear whatever the shoes they want as long as they are silver. So all in all I think ive been quite accommodating. When I sent the 10 options, I received a few messages 90% were all great they loved them and they have found a few they want to try on, my one friend is the biggest and doesn't wear dresses at all and even she said they were nice and there were a few she will try. But i received one message for a member of my partners family telling me she hated everyone and didn't want to wear any of them as she said they wont be flattering on her and wont make her look good - she hasn't even tried these on yet - and 3 of the dresses are the same/similar to what she wore to my partners family member wedding already - now ive heard little snippets from my other bridesmaids that she is being difficult in other areas regarding my hen etc and making everyone wound up from her behaviour. She has known about the wedding for 2 years so she has known that she will have to wear a bridesmaid dress so surely if she had that big of hang up surely she could have done something about it. The thing is aswell, shes not a big girl shes a size 10/12 - I spent ages deciding on these dresses - there are about 7 different necklines, they are all long. Im now dreading the appointment in a couple of weeks and can just imagine her refusing to wear any dress!!! Im not sure what to do about it all, i suggested that she could wear some spanx type underwear and she said no - I told my partner and he said if she doesnt pick a dress tell her its one of these designs or nothing! I obviously dont want to be that harsh, but he said that he hasn't given his groomsmen a choice of what they are wearing so the fact she can pick from 10 dresses!!! What do i do now??

6 replies

Latest activity by MissR2MrsP21, 9 of September of 2020 at 21:23
    Beginner September 2020 Aberdeen & Deeside
    2020Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I think you’ve been more than accommodating and reasonable letting her have a choice of dresses to try. Maybe just see how the fitting goes in a few weeks and take it from there? The girls in the shop will know how to handle the situation as I’m sure they’ve seen it a lot. Hopefully it will be a positive outcome for you as weddings are stressful enough
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

Wait until you go to try them on and see how things go... but before you go, have a word with your maid of honour (assuming that she isn't it! If she is, then have a word with the next person you'd pick for this role) and suggest that, if she's difficult at the fitting, maybe the MOH could point out that she might be better off not being a bridesmaid!!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content
    Cut her loose! She obviously doesn’t really want to be a bridesmaid and is behaving this way because she wants you to be the one to say it and not her. I absolutely hated being a bridesmaid, tried to get out of it without success and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy let alone my best friend.
  • HappyPurpleDecor18768
    Beginner February 2022 Staffordshire
    HappyPurpleDecor18768 ·
    • Hide content

Tell her she has no choice but to choose one. If she can't do that then I'd let her know she wasn't a bridesmaid anymore. Sorry but she's putting unnecessary stress on you it's not fair for her to do that. You're the bride if you want them to wear one of those dresses then that's what they gotta wear its not like you didn't give her options.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You've been more than accommodating. Either she is one of those bridesmaids who think the wedding revolves around her or she is just not comfortable being a bridesmaid at all and wants out. I'd ask her to at least try on the dresses and tell her that if after that, she still feels unhappy wearing any of them, then you totally understand her dropping out of the bridesmaids lineup.

• M
    Beginner February 2022 Essex
    MissR2MrsP21 ·
    • Hide content
    I feel for you it is difficult. I have been a bridesmaid 5 times... only once did I get a choice in my dress and in all honesty all of my dresses were nice. You are being very accommodating. When it came to my wedding and getting my girls dresses, 6 in all and 1 female usher. I let them help me whittle it down. After that it was my choice. My wedding as it is yours. Just pick what you think would suit her and tell her that's what she is wearing. That or she doesn't have to be a bridesmaid. It's a privilege not a chore. Wish you all the best it's tough enough trying to get married at the moment without the added stress x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics