Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2018

Difficult mother and sister in law :(

MrsHadleyToBe2018, 14 of November of 2016 at 23:14 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi guys

i just wondered if any of you could give me advice... before me and my OH were planning on getting married i asked his sister if she would be bridesmaid and said possibly maid of honour depending on who else i was having if not she would deffo be bridesmaid... a few months ago we had a massive fallout and she called me awful things and i have had no appogly yet i have messaged her and appologised that she will not be my maid of honour ....

i was about to book my venue today along with the registra but my mother in law to be had told her som she wont be at the wedding ...

any ideas on how i can solve something like this

2 replies

Latest activity by Lilacbouquet, 16 of November of 2016 at 09:14
  • L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, hassle with the in-laws is the worst. But very common during wedding planning, it seems!

Is your MIL-to-be cross about her daughter not being your maid of honour, or is she cross about whatever it was you fell out with her daughter about? You'll need to get to the root of why she's not coming to the wedding before you can try to fix things. It really depends on what your argument with SIL was about. Can you see you and SIL making up if she apologises? Or has she really crossed a line about something? It sounds like she has if she's been calling you names! In which case you're completely within your rights not to have her as a BM, and your MIL-to-be has no right to argue. Maybe your MIL doesn't know the whole story and she's only going on what your SIL has told her. I would get your OH to step in here to try to smooth things over.

x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

If MIL is taking sides then it may be less stressful for you to consider an overseas wedding. That would avoid the family hassle.
    You could pay for your parents to go and it would still cost less than having a big wedding in the UK

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

It may be worth calling your FSIL to talk things through. It may bring up what happened previously but sometimes it is easier to clear the air before you can move on. If you can make things smoother with her, the your FMIL may take a step back as she is being rather extreme about it. Mothers apparently find it very hard to not be at their children's wedding so I wouldn't worry too much about this yet unless you are getting married in the next couple of months.

You can never please everyone when planning a wedding, me and a lot of other people on here will tell you the same. You will always tread on someone's toes as hard as you try not to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics