Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner November 2014

Difficulties with booking a registrar

hl82, 16 of January of 2014 at 10:31 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello all, been browsing here for a while while planning the wedding but this is my first post.

I realised this morning that we've been a bit stupid. Wedding is 1st November this year. Venue deposit is booked and paid for, reception venue deposit is booked and paid for. But I only inquired about booking a registrar to conduct the ceremony today. We wanted the ceremony to take place at 2pm but I didn't anticipate that they'd have limited availability for this date already! The response was that they only have availability for 10am , 11am , 12pm or 4pm. The reception venue is ours from 3pm so surely any of the early times will be too early and the 4pm time will be too late.

So my question is does anyone know any way around this to enable the ceremony to take place at 2pm? Can you bring in a registrar from a different county to conduct the ceremony? Or can you hire a private registrar (do these exist? No idea). Alternatively can anyone think of a way to entertain 100 guests for 2 hours between the ceremony and the reception Smiley smile

Thanks in advance for any answers.

11 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 16 of January of 2014 at 10:56
  • CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we had a similar problem, we booked everything for 6 September, naively thinking we could get the registrar without any problem. Of course they had no availability at all that day, so we had to move the wedding to the 5th. We did ask if we could have a registrar from another county and they said no, I don't know if this is the same everywhere though so might be worth asking.

Personally I would go for 12pm, and maybe have a 'cocktail hour' or some games or extra photos taken, the time will fly anyway! x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I've never known of registrars from other counties performing the ceremony.

Can you tell us a bit about the day? Were you getting married in a registry office or having the registrar come to the venue? If the venue is yours from 3pm, where were you planning on getting married at 2pm?

Of course, there is always the option of getting married just the two of you (with witnesses obviously) before the wedding then having a humanist ceremony on the day but I know that isn't for everyone.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Bare in mind most things run late lol watching any wedding on tv (dont tell the bride, gypsy wedding, 4 weddings etc... either the bride or groom is always late) so say 15 to 30 mins late - then you have photos and you already cut down that 2 hours wait by up to 1 hour or so easily

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Book the 12pm NOW before you lose that option too. Speak to your reception venue and see if you can move times forward a bit. alternatively arrange a drinks and canapes session at another venue - I realise this will add to your budget. You could try a nice pub to keep costs down. Remember you need time for photos and also for travelling to the venue so you might not have as much time to fill as you think.

As far as I know you cannot get private registrars so unless you want to go down the church route or join the humanist society (I think they can conduct weddings) you need to book the registrar you've got NOW. Registrars from other counties will be booked up.

Sorry but you haven't got time to dither. Let us know how you get on.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think the issue is WHERE they will go for those couple of hours as they don't have the reception venue until 3pm...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My venue wouldn't take a deposit without us confirming that the register office had us pencilled in for our chosen time!

Registrars have to come not just from the same county, but from the district within the county under which the venue is licensed.

Can you hire the venue earlier?

• SecretlyEloped
    Beginner May 2014
    SecretlyEloped ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where they did cake cutting and afternoon tea after the ceremony alongside photos, with a gap before going to the reception venue. It was lovely.

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    hl82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much for the responses. We're getting married in a different place to where the reception is taking place. It's about a mile away so the plan originally was to get married at 2pm then whisk everyone away to the reception venue for approx. 3pm.

As it stands then I think we'd have to do the ceremony (and drag it out a bit ?) and then have photos before trying to arrange an hour of cocktails at the ceremony venue or somewhere else. I guess we could then maybe try and negotiate with the reception venue to allow us to arrive a bit earlier than originally planned, possibly at a cost.

All great suggestions so many thanks for your help.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Are you getting married at register office? If so, do they have a room you could hire for a drinks reception? Or go to a local restaurant/bar/field for champagne?

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    hl82 ·
    • Hide content

I think we may be able to arrange a drinks reception somewhere yes. We're getting married in the city centre so there are no shortage of nice pubs and bars around.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think I would go for the 12pm option - that will take you to 1pm max but more like 12.45pm.

Then, if you could have some reception drinks and photos at the ceremony venue (or hire a room in a nice bar or something?) that could easily take up a good amount of the two hours you need to fill. I would also talk to your reception venue about arriving early.

How are your guests getting around if they're drinking at the ceremony venue? Are you arranging transport to the reception venue?

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to repeat myself but book it NOW!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics