Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner September 2016

DISASTER - HELP NEEDED! Registrar cannot make our wedding slot :(

rhyminsimon07, 7 of November of 2015 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 9

We booked our wedding venue - Smeetham Hall Barn - for May 21st 2016 ages ago BUT never booked a registrar! Crazy rookie mistake to make I know but we have just found out that the local rgistrars office of Braintree only have 5 teams that cover 27 venues (which seems crazy for a start) and cant do that day as they are booked.

We looked at alternatives but really dont want to get married before then have a celebrant (which is a worst case scenario). We are aware that it is technically possible to bring in a registrar from another region BUT you apparently have to know them and request special permission...

We had even considered having the celebrant first at 2pm then get a registrar in (they can do a 4:30 slot) just to do the signing of the registry for the legal part but this is not legal - you have to be married first before you have the celebrant.

Not knowing any registrars we are a little stuck...an desperate...if anyone has any suggestions on how we could look to invite a non local registrar that would be available at 2pm on that day I would happily pay handsomely for their services!

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

9 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 9 of November of 2015 at 09:39
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about non local registras etc but a lot of people have celebrant weddings and do the legal bit at the registry office with just two witnesses on a different day. They still treat the celebrant ceremony as their actual wedding and celebrate their wedding anniversary on that day. Haven't I also seen don't tell the bride episodes where they do the legal bit the morning after? I personally wouldn't have a problem going to the registry office in normal clothes on a different day like this. If you have the time you could go early morning on your 'wedding' day to do the legal bit then home to get ready for the rest to keep it on the same day if preferred.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I was just about to suggest booking the registry office for a different day either the day before or the day after. That way you can either get a celebrant or ask a friend to do the honours.

• Neil Gratton Photography
    Beginner August 2015
    Neil Gratton Photography ·
    • Hide content

I went to a lovely wedding like this; they had a registry office wedding on the Friday with just witnesses attending, and then had their formal wedding celebration with all the friends and family - and her cousin as unofficial celebrant - on the Saturday. The Saturday was lovely.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think the best solution is to ask about the 2-person signings at the register office. There is usually a special day for them. I'm a wedding photographer in Leeds and we have them on Wednesday mornings here. So people who are having a non-legal ceremony go to the Town Hall on a wednesday and it's about £50 to do the legal paperwork. You just go in your jeans.

Then they have their "real wedding" on the weekend.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

This is incorrect.

From personal experience, getting married 'legally' separately to 'ceremonially' is not a big deal and can be cheaper (especially if your friend is your celebrant). Plenty of people do it for weddings abroad e.g. a British couple cannot legally marry in France so the French wedding would just be for show, the legal bit would be done here. And as others have said, it's on DTTB all the time as often they want to marry in places that aren't licensed for legal ceremonies or it's too last minute to get a registrar.

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Same thing happened to us. After many many many tears and thinking that the whole wedding would be ruined we decided to do the formal bit the day before and have a celebrant (who is actually a lovely family friend) to do our ceremony on the Saturday.

We're completely tailoring our ceremony, writing our own vows and even though it was not what I had initially planned I think it's going to be absolutely incredible. Plus it's saving us about £200!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HappyBrownDiamonds179 ·
    • Hide content

Hope your day is lovely - I am sure it will be. We are also getting married at Smeetham Hall barns, it is a lovely venue Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner June 2016
    FutureSamW ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoke to colchester & ipswich might be able to help you out, worth a try?

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

If you don't want to do the legal bit another day & have a celebrant , why don't you take the 4.30 slot they can offer? Or a speak to the venue & see if you can change your date?

You do have options they're just not your ideal.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

As suggested, if all else fails get married midweek, have a blessing / celebrant / get launched from a cannon on the day itself.

It might be more fun, at least based from weddings I've shot like that before.

Maybe not the cannon bit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics