Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner April 2012

Disgusted with Berkertex alteration package!!

gheko, 31 January, 2012 at 17:01 Posted on Planning 0 12

Just discovered today when got something in the post that Berkertex charge a flat rate of 190 quid for alterations no matter how small they are, so effectively you pay 190 for something that may just cost 40 somewhere else. You also have to pay this up front and if you do not need alterations you do not get a full refund. At the time they didnt have a seamstress in house but have just got someone in. What a rip off!!!!! They certainly didnt mention it would cost 190 quid. The woman thought at the time that it won't need any alterations.

Thank god i didnt buy bridemaids dresses from there also.

12 replies

Latest activity by Bride2BMilliexx, 1 February, 2012 at 17:04
  • Apples84
    Beginner August 2012
    Apples84 ·
    • Hide content

Can you take it somewhere else for alterations if you need them?

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

They said i could take it somewhere else but then they wouldn't store it etc and would accept no responsibility if something went wrong with it (unrelated to alterations).

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

This is the reason i didn't get my dress from a shop as they wanted to charge me £25 consultation fee and then £250 for hem and £50 per side seam!! I was so shocked i rang around other suppliers and found my dress some where else who charge £5 per side seam and £25 hem!! Its so important to ask the question before you buy.

• Apples84
    Beginner August 2012
    Apples84 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds as if they knew exactly how to get you. Personally I'd see how much needs doing, if anything and take it somewhere else. Or if you weren't told this before you bought it you could try to argue it?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would just do this to be honest, nearly £200 is far too much! Can you store it elsewhere?

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

How about storing it there 'til you need the alterations closer to the day, and then just arrange to collect it the day you can take it to another seamstress? I can't see how they can oblige you to pay for and use their alteration service if you don't need it..? But I wouldn't mention that I was taking it somewhere else to get altered. Regarding their dropping responsibility for the dress, if something was going to go wrong with it (obviously hopefully not) it would probably happen before it got to the shop, in which case I think they have to take responsibility for it..? Hope you find a solution, I really hate big companies ripping us off, for this reason I tend to avoid them myself. It's a horrible feeling.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I agree, you should tell them you don't want alterations, have them keep it in store until about 6 weeks before the wedding, then have it altered by a local seamstress. So much cheaper. Surely the dress will come in its own massive garment bag to protect it, and couldn't you leave it at your parents or MOH's house for storage?

• B
    berketexbride ·
    • Hide content

Berketex Bride strives to provide the perfect designer wedding dress or bridesmaid gown to all our brides and/or their attendants. We’re deeply saddened when any of our brides are in anyway unhappy with our service, which we believe to be the finest in the industry. Therefore we ask that anyone who is in anyway dissatisfied to contact us directly as only this way can we improve our service and help our brides. At Berketex Bride we believe we are privileged to help tens of thousands choose their dream dress each year and can assure all our brides that they and their dress are treated with the utmost attention, professionalism and friendliness as our sole aim is to provide an unrivalled service and designer garment of the utmost quality, once again we sincerely apologise if you feel this has not been the case. Listening to more than a million brides over the past 50 years we know that every bride is unique and that only by continually improving our service, and providing the very latest in designer wedding gowns can we ensure that each bride receives the unique service and gorgeous gown that we aspire to provide.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

A very scripted response from Berketex, how about helping/reassuring the OP!

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I paid the £180 alteration fees for Berketex Brides as I am tiny and will need at least 6 inchies taken off the length probably altered arounf the chest etc, so that it was worth it rather than individual fitting costs If its £50 per fitting and I needed more than 3 then it wouldn't be worth it. However, I do think if some is a "standard size and is unlikely to need any or little alterations, I do think it is very steep!

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Come on Bertertex, if you're going to comment at least make it relevant to the problem!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

I had a similar experience with them, but the sales girls told me originally that my dress would be in store around a month before my wedding last year. We just happened to be back looking at styles for my BM dresses and the girl then told me that it wouldn't be available until a week before the day!

I too had to pay for alterations when I bought the dress - they also tried to make me add length to the dress because of my height even though the length was fine in the flats I was intending to wear. When I called them to ask about the delivery date they said would I like the dress to be delivered to a closer store - I agreed and because the other store didn't have their own alterations person they told me to write and request a refund. It took a while but I got one!

BTW - I didn't need a single alteration and the dress was actually ever so slightly long (it meant that with a few days before the day I started looking for a pair of low heels to wear during the day!)

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    Bride2BMilliexx ·
    • Hide content

To be fair, I paid up for my alterations because I knew after doing some research and asking around, that you will pay for alterations at any half decent bridalwear company/boutique. And I want my dress to fit perfectly Smiley smile advice for when dress shopping you should always ask about alterations and packages and if they are included in the price! Hope this helps people who haven't been dress shopping yet! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics