Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*ginni of the lamp*

Dishwashers - how essential for busy family?

*ginni of the lamp*, 5 of April of 2009 at 10:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 82

Is it a waste of money or worth its weight in gold?

Thanks

82 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 17 of August of 2013 at 08:56
  • barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely essential.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

It's something that I would say is essential.

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

I never particularly wanted one, didn't see the point. MrSC did and in the end we got one with money we had for our wedding - I wouldn't be without it now. We don't run it every day as there's only two of us but you can put dirty stuff away in it as you go which makes your kitchen tidier and then turn it on when it's full. Loading the dishwasher takes about a quarter of the time washing up does.

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

Essential!

Think I'd spend all day at the sink washing up if I didn't have one. The children seem to have a habit of needing a new plate/cup etc every 5 seconds!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Even though there's only the two of us, it's essential. When ours broke, it was just horrific having to wash up! Saves a lot of time and effort. Once you have one, you'll never look back!

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely agree, once you have one you'll wonder how you did without one. I didn't think I needed one but once I had it I loved it and with four kids and various hangers on it is worth its weight in gold now.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine too ?

Thanks all.

We were offered a full sized one a coule of days ago, but we don't have enough space and had to turn it down ?. We're due to move to a new build in the next few weeks and there's plumbing ready for one, but not enough space for a full size. Maybe we can get one of the built-in ones fitted. Mr G is very keen.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

You can get slimline ones, maybe that would be worth investigating?

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    carolinabena ·
    • Hide content

Love love love it!

uses less water than washing up, i set it to go on overnight to make use of economy 7. it's only slightly less important than a washing machine to me. (though we don't have a TD as they use so much power)

• Sairedy
    Beginner September 2003
    Sairedy ·
    • Hide content

I don't think they are essential even though I do have one

We invariably do some washing up after a meal even if it's saucepans etc so it wouldn't be that much trouble to wash plates up as well

I don't bother putting pans and stuff in the dishwasher as I'd be putting it on a lot more and the kids plastic stuff gets done in the sink as well it seems a waste of water to put the dishwasher on for things like that

Having said that I do quite like having one but not essential

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

Someone who came to view our house this week was horrified we didn't have one. There's no room though; we'd have to get rid of the washing machine (which is more useful IMO).

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

Having lived without one for 4 years and then moving over here I would describe them as a marriage saver!

We are having to move in July and I've already put it on the list of must have's.

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

Essential, I wouldn't be without mine

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

We're not even a busy family, there's just 2 of us but we wouldn't be without it, saves so much time and hassle. I'd never be without one again.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

There's only 2 of us but I don't think I could stand not having a dishwasher. We don't even have a washing machine but washing only needs to be done every 1.5 weeks or so - the dishwasher is used daily.

• Scarlett03
    Dedicated May 2003
    Scarlett03 ·
    • Hide content

My mum bought us one for a wedding present six years ago and it basically saved six years of arguments. ? would not be without one now, not for one day.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

We always had a dishwasher at home from when I was quite young so when I moved out I missed it terribly, still do infact! It's one thing I'm looking forward to moving home about, I loathe washing up. I like that you can just put stuff in there over the course of a day or whilst cooking a meal and your kitchen stays tidy. We're a 3 person family and have a slimline one due to space and it's always been perfectly adequate, even when my mum got a new kitchen and redesigned it etc she could have got a large but stuck with the slimline. I think the only time there are things left over is the roasting tin on a Sunday which goes in the sink but that's not a bother.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

I always thought they were a complete luxury, not remotely necessary especially as there's only two of us. Then we rented a house that had one, and when we moved back home there was no way we were being without one. They are fab. We just never have to actually wash up now, pans, everything go in there. We run it once a day, maybe we are weird as there is only the two of us but we fill it over the course of the day, so we run it.

L
    xx

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

Only two of us and I wouldn't be without it - purely for the amount of arguments it saves over washing up. (Although we now argue over loading and unloading instead.) Mine is quite good, as you can just run the top or bottom shelf if you don't have enough to fill the whole machine.

• pigalicious
    pigalicious ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WZS, ours broke last summer and I was horrified, thankfully my mum agreed we couldn't be without one and bought us a new one and we were only without one for a few days! .

We've always had a dishwasher in our family wheras Mr P has never had one, I am constantly nagging him about his poor stacking skills!!!

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

These results would make for an interesting social case study on Hitchers..... ?

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

We moved into this flat almost 2 years ago. It's the first place we've lived with a dishwasher. We haven't used it once ?. My parents have one that they use occasionally, mostly when the family all descends at the same time.

• DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy ·
    • Hide content

Ha. Couldn't be without it. H Had different views UNTIL we were given one from an old rental flat of his cousin's...when it stopped working 3 months later he was up and out of the door at 8.30 to get to the coop to buy a new one. Essential.

I grew up with one too, and all the houses I've lived in without one I have resented every second I've spent washing up.

• swedish leprechaun
    Beginner August 2006
    swedish leprechaun ·
    • Hide content

Totally essential, even for a couple with cats

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Well lets face it, theyre certainly not essential, its not like you coulndt manage without one. they are incredibly useful though in terms of having a clean kitchen and no hassles

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content

We've never had one. I don't particularly feel the lack of one. We only have one child, though, and she's a breastfed 4.5 month old, so doesn't make much more washing up...

• M
    Moglie ·
    • Hide content

Don't have one, have never had one, don't have the space. I'm sure if I had one I woudl love it though and never look back. Our kitchen always has a pile of dishes waiting to be done so looks permanently messy.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is true, oh practical one ?. I think I'll put it on my list of things to want oce the can't-live-withouts are bought.

Thanks everyone.

• *Kitty*
    Beginner April 2008
    *Kitty* ·
    • Hide content

H and I love love love our dishwasher. Theres only us and the cats, but we both hate doing dishes. A slim line one suits us perfectly.

• Randy
    Beginner December 2005
    Randy ·
    • Hide content

I think the state should issue one to every cohabiting couple or household with children.

Obviously, I think it is essential ;-)

• Allison Wonderland
    Beginner December 2006
    Allison Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

We don't have one - neither of our famillies do - so we don't know what we're missing obviously!

Washing up in the sink only takes 5-10 minutes even if we've used lots of dishes, but then its only for two of us. We've never once argued about washing up so its really not an issue for us, and if I had a few quid spare I can think of lots of other things I'd buy before a dishwasher

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How do you manage only doing washing every 1.5 weeks? We do a load most days and there's only two of us. We always wear clothes more than once (unless they're actually dirty of course) and only wash bedding about one a month so it's not like we're clean freaks either. What's your secret?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics