Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Distance to wedding. Hire a coach?

HappyOrangeBridesmaid844, 2 of June of 2017 at 15:14 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hey

My fiance and me are looking to get married in a few years and are looking at a venue in Somerset. We live in south west London as do most of our family and friends. Somerset to where we are is around 135 miles or 2.5 hours driving.

We do expect people to decline invites due to distance but a though came to me that if I offered to hire a coach to get people there and then the following day take people back to the same pick up then more people might accept.

Do you think that I should just accept people may or may not attend even with over a years notice or do you think my idea is okay.

Has anyone else travelled that far to their wedding and reception before?

Any idea how much it might cost me?

Christopher

3 replies

Latest activity by Happily_married_mrsM, 14 of June of 2017 at 16:34
  • DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

We travelled from Scotland to Norwich for a wedding last year (and I went to the hen in Birmingham). We weren't the only ones who travelled either.

I think if you've given people enough notice then they'll make their own plans if they want to be there.

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in Plymouth (where we live), and most of our family live 200-300 miles away. However we have several guests coming all the way from Scotland so more or less travelling the whole length of the country!

We didn't think to hire a coach, and we did have some guests who have declined as it's too far to travel with kids/they can't get the friday off to travel early.

We did send out save the dates a year early and made it clear that it would be plymouth so people could mae plans, we have quite a few people who will be staying in devon/cornwall before/after to make it into a holiday rather than travel just for the wedding.

• T
    Beginner June 2018
    TheOverlyOrganizedBride ·
    • Hide content

We live in London and will be having a tipi wedding next year. All the venues we're looking at are 1-1.5 hours away from London. We do have quite some friends coming from overseas for the wedding and will be hiring a coach from London to the venue and then pick up at midnight to drive them back to London.

Not too sure how this whole thing is gonna work out yet, but I'm just crossing my fingers and hope it will, haha!

• Happily_married_mrsM
    Beginner September 2016
    Happily_married_mrsM ·
    • Hide content

I got married last year in the lake district (where i live) at 11.30am. We had family come from Durham (2 hours) and near Sheffield (3.5 hours) to be with us for the day so if they want to come they will make the effort. With regards to coaches in theory its a great idea, until people want to leave at different times or theres always that one drunk person who wont leave the dance floor when its time to go. ? or if the coach is coming back the next day who is paying for guest accommodation?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics