Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2011

Dive/Underwater themed reception

Simms, 9 May, 2011 at 14:46 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hello everyone!

Hope you can help - my fiance and I are both very keen UK divers and are having our reception in our local aquarium. We're having an underwater theme (but don't want to go OTT), and would welcome any ideas for the reception. I have sea-life table confetti, our cake is basically a huge reef covered with anemones, fish, starfish etc and my head-dress is a beautiful alice band of silver shells, freshwater pearls and crystal beads.

Any ideas on what else we could do at the reception? It's very informal so there won't be place setting, so everyone can mingle and sit where they like, and we aren't planning to have favours, maybe just bowls of fish-themed chocolates on each table.

Thanks for your help,

Kirstie

16 replies

Latest activity by Simms, 13 May, 2011 at 15:51
  • B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I think you probably have enough there. I was going to suggest table names maybe of UK reefs or wrecks, but if you're not having them they're no good! Re: Bowls of fish themed chocs, why not have some sort of sweetie bugget, you could get some of those pink foam shrimp too. Use fishbowls insteadof sjust bowls, and maybe decorate the table with some shells or something. You could have a dive themed cake toppers? Or maybe just snorkels and fins if you didn't want to go the whole hog with the tanks and BCD's etc.

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Here are lots of fish themed sweets (and some other random stuff the search threw out) http://www.chocolatebuttons.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=fish&x=0&y=0 Also you could get some of those fortune telling fish? OK I am getting far too in to this.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Can't really help but just wanted to say what a cool idea for a theme that is ?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Sounds cool. I am another who thinks you have plenty of sea-life stuff!

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cajy ·
    • Hide content

It all sounds really cool! How about a sea-life quiz?

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

When you said about the chocolates my first thought was those Guylian Chocolate seashells. Is that what you had in mind?

Pebble centrepieces would be cool too.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS- if you were having place names on the tables you could write names on the pebbles with chalk (but you're not so ignore that!)

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

All I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Lol Smiley smile

Our theme has been starfish, sand, shells, pebbles and its taken real effort to find nice things available in the UK, if we lived in America it would be a doddle!

Here a flash of some things I have seen/used along the wa. Table plan I made myself

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I think if you don't want to go OTT, then you probably have enough if you've chosen to have your reception in an aquarium. (Are you having your ceremony underwater with the sharks?)

I love the idea of themed weddings, I'm having a winter themed one, but i'm worried about it being OTT and ending up too christmassy!

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

And these are our favours which are chocolae pebble sweets

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Belinda- I LOVE your decs. These look really classy, well done! I have seen sea-side done tacky, but yours looks very tasteful.

My favorite item being the "I Do" sign :-)

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh thank you very much Smiley smile

Its been really hard lol! The shells we are using as the place cards holders and our centrepiece is like the one in the photo, so its kind of a star fish theme haha!

• S
    Beginner December 2011
    Simms ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much, everyone, for your replies. I think I might just leave it at what we've got - less is more!

The real fish will provide plenty of entertainment, with the sharks watching us eat our dinner :-)

I love your 'I DO', Belinda. Where did you get it, or did you make it?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing!! I think the fact that you're having it at the aquarium means you really don't need to really hammer the theme home - there are real fish!!

Can't wait to see pics of all this, wow

(If you do find a way to incorporate fortune telling fish, please do, I love tat like that LOL)

• S
    Beginner December 2011
    Simms ·
    • Hide content

In keeping with the vague beach/sea-side theme, I thought about hiring an old-fashioned ice-cream cart for the reception.

Good idea or not?

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I cant actually remember where I got the "I DO" sign from, I got it ages ago, have tried doing a little google and cant find it. If I remember I will let you know.

We thought about an ice cream van but logically it wouldnt have worked for us, because we are having a canape reception and did think about swapping canapes for ice cream but then thought that eating an ice cream before a sit down meal would be a bit sickly... then after the meal everyone will be full and then the evening we have too many guests for it to be an affordable extra.

• S
    Beginner December 2011
    Simms ·
    • Hide content

Belinda, I understand your problem! We're having a buffet reception, but I was thinking about having the ice-cream van right by the entrance to the aquarium.

When the guests arrive they're being taken on a tour of the aquarium by a staff member while we have our photos done, so I was going to have ice-creams on arrival (instead of a glass of champagne), then have the champagne when the tour finishes and we all meet up for the buffet, so they don't miss out on their booze!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics