Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2026 Bristol

Divorced parents

Georgia, 12 of March of 2024 at 10:59 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3
Hi everyone recently engaged and just getting my head together.
My parents are divorced and remarried ( my mum is also divorced again but I will be having my mum's ex there as he is my step dad) and my fiancé's parents are divorced too but not re married.

I will be having my step mums sister and mum there too as they're effectively my aunty and grandmother.
We have been thinking of doing a picnic or something so everyone can meet as my parents haven't met my inlaws before too but also to difuse any potential awkwardness on the day. There's no hate there really but haven't seen each other in a long time and a wedding is emotional enough for parents without having to see your ex for the first time in 10 years.
Has anyone had something similar or got any advice ?Xx

3 replies

Latest activity by Rose, 17 of March of 2024 at 23:13
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a very good idea to me - that way, people can get over any feelings about seeing each other again in a smaller, less emotionally charged gathering.

I would present it as a suggestion to them and see what the response is. If they really don't feel comfortable with spending time together, they may prefer just to have the one occasion, the wedding, and not meet up beforehand. But providing an option to meet up first is considerate.

Beginner January 2026 Lancashire
    2026Bridetobe ·
    • Hide content
    I’m actually thinking something similar. I’m from down South but moved up North in 2008 and ending up staying up here. Met my fiance in 2016 and all his family are up here but my family are still down south. Because my family don’t really get to visit us up here much, our families have still never actually met!

I didn’t want our wedding to be the first time for meeting as I don’t want anyone to feel nervous or uncomfortable and I know it would add to my stress levels because I’d be constantly wanting to run round everyone and see if they were ok and getting on etc.
    Fiancé and I are not really drinkers/party people so instead of separate hen and stag do’s we are thinking of having a joint do where we get my family up, hire somewhere for a meal, a few drinks and maybe some mini games or something to basically let them all meet and get to know each other and see how it goes.
    If anyone doesn’t hit it off or anything negative happens, at least it’s out of the way before the wedding so people can hopefully just ignore each other on the day, instead or the drama happening on the wedding day itself 🤞🏻
  • Rose
    Beginner August 2025 Norfolk
    Rose ·
    • Hide content
    I have the same situation! We’re doing an engagement party with friends and family to celebrate, very casual so hopefully no awkwardness. Maybe a dinner or drinks to get everyone chatting in the same room would be best

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics