Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arpee
Beginner August 2016

DIY Bar Ideas

Arpee, 9 of February of 2016 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 5

Our venue is totally DIY and we have to do everything ourselves or hire the relevant people. We would like to have a cash bar in the evening, and asked the pub down the road to run one for us (they bring all the drinks and provide staff), but they can't do it because they're having a cider festival that day.

Our venue already has a physical bar in place, so I don't necessarily want a mobile bar company, I just want the drinks and the barman. It's proving tricky to find that kind of setup though!

The lady that runs the venue has suggested we operate an honesty bar, where people make a donation of their choice to get a drink (this also means we don't have to get a licence). But this would mean buying all the alcohol and soft drinks in - wine, beer, ale, cider, spirits, fizzy drinks etc... I think we'd either run out too soon or have loads left over that we don't want!

Is anyone else sorting out their own bar? How are you doing it?

5 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePinkCars201, 10 of February of 2016 at 08:22
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think I would look at other pubs or bar companies. I'm not sure I would want all the hassle of it with regards to staff, clean up, supplying and hoping people would be honest etc.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Agreed, personally I don't think it's worth the hassle. You won't normally end up paying anything for a mobile bar company anyway so I'd get in touch with a few and explain the situation. I couldn't cope with a totally DIY bar, with all the mess, not to mention who will serve the drinks? If it was a help yourself situation it could easily get out of hand and I'm the sort of stress head that would end up behind the bar on my own wedding day to sort it out! Asking a member of the bridal party or other guest would be out of the question for me too - by the time the evening rolls around I want everyone having fun!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

We've contacted quite a few bar companies and it would cost us £150-300 depending on which company we chose, if any - we only have 50-60 guests so I guess it's not that lucrative for them.

If we did a DIY bar we would hire someone (maybe poach someone from our local for the night?) to run it for us, it wouldn't be help yourself, that would just descend into chaos!

• J
    Beginner March 2017
    James_12345 ·
    • Hide content

Im very keen on homebrewing so would probably do some homebrew beer!

IT isnt as horrible as some might think (actually it is better than a lot of commercial beer).

you do need a little investment (50-60 quid) and some knowledge which can be acquired from youtube and instructions!

Also, elderflower champagne is very easy and so tasty and works out 2% ABV for a really cheap and tasty bubbly alternative.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

As if by some miracle, we found a company happy to provide bar service without providing the actual bar, for the princely sum of £50! Booking it sharpish!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

That's great! Glad you found someone in the end!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics