Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Louise
Beginner June 2025 Perthshire

diy canapés

Louise, 29 of January of 2024 at 00:51 Posted on Planning 0 7
Has anybody done their own canapes? I was thinking about sandwich platters and a big charcuterie board. We have lots of really fussy guests that won't eat the usual canapes. I would make it up the night before with my MOH and get Costco or m&s platters. My only concern is who puts it out and clears it? And when? Feel my bridal party will already be busy and parents will be greeting people. Is it cheeky to ask friends that are just guests?

7 replies

Latest activity by Jhon, 7 of February of 2024 at 12:05
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Unless this is the kind of thing you do to relax and unwind, I wouldn't, because the last thing you need the night before your wedding is the hassle of making up canapes for guests (also, if you are hiring a venue, you'd need to check they were ok with you doing this, since many venues insist you use a registered caterer because of food hygiene/health and safety etc).

If your guests are genuinely just being fussy, I'd be inclined to ignore their fussing! They can eat what's put in front of them or go hungry. And if their 'fussiness' is genuine food allergies or intolerances, then you really don't want to be messing about with DIY and risking someone being ill because you accidentally cross-contaminated or didn't spot an allergen on the ingredients list. (And if someone has a serious reaction to a particular food, they're probably going to be very wary at weddings anyway so are likely to give canapes a miss whatever you do - I always carry a snack in my bag and make sure I only graze on food I'm 100% sure is safe for me, which is usually boiled potatoes and veg!)

• Louise
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's not allergies, just very picky. They wouldn't eat most normal canapes anyway.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This might sound harsh, but in your place, I'd just tell them that this is the menu and if they don't want to eat it, they don't have to. Grown adults shouldn't behave like toddlers who throw a tantrum because they don't like lettuce!

• Louise
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As much as I'd love to do this I'm not spending £500 on canapes that don't get eaten
  • R
    • Hide content

Are canapes all you are having?

If you're having a proper sit-down meal, maybe skip them?

If that's all you're having, maybe look at sandwiches instead?

• Louise
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was kinda thinking about skipping them. It'll be a full meal then buffet at night. Don't want a really long drinks reception in middle either
  • R
    • Hide content

If you're doing a full meal post-ceremony and a buffet in the evening, then you definitely don't need canapes as well, so I would just leave them out. Then your fussy folk can hopefully find enough things they will eat at the meal and buffet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics