Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

meandmrjones2014
Beginner March 2014

DIY Candy Buffet

meandmrjones2014, 13 of September of 2013 at 13:29 Posted on Planning 0 26

Hi everyone

We are getting married in Northern Ireland on 26 March next year and are doing a DIY Sweet table/candy buffet for the evening reception. We have begun gathering up jars and vases from B&M to hold the sweeties (2x fish bowl type vases we plan to put roses and heroes in those, one glass cookie jar, two small jars and we plan to use two vintage cupcake wire stands for mini cupcakes and get some of the spring closing jars from ikea)

my question is where do you obtain small scoops that will fit in jars, the 5oz ones I see online look to be pretty big?

also think long strawberry lances would be good in a vase but where to get them? and has anyone come across the cool coloured swirly lollipops? thought about putting them in like a wee cream bucket with oasis in it to present them nicely!

anoyone have any ideas or pics for inspiration for me please?

theme for the wedding is vintage

thanks for help in advance

26 replies

Latest activity by Soontobe.MrsM, 5 of November of 2013 at 15:55
  • M
    Beginner July 2014
    missk1989 ·
    • Hide content

You can get scoops and candy stripe bags off ebay. We are doing a DIY candy buffet too. Trying to keep down the cost as much as i can though!

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for quick reply

do you know how much the scoops are? havent looked there yet

what sort of jars and sweeties are you having? the hotel have said they will set mine up for me but hoping i can get in the night before to do it so i know its done how i want it Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Set it up at home and take a picture. Then if you can't get in the night before they will still do it how you want!

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Good idea thanks MOMB

Was wanting a raise bit to put on the table - anyone any ideas on what i could use - wanting the hotel to cover the whole thing with white table linen just so all the sweeties can be seen

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Ebay is the best online place to get them. If you have a B and M local to you go there because they have lovely bits for very low prices. I got two fish bowls for £6 today and never seen them cheaper than that before.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

These even kept the sweeties in the same colour scheme as the wedding Green and the other orange

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Yes the B&M Fish type bowls are a great price got two of them. Did you also see the wee square jars with a glass heart on them they had cream pink or red lids? got two with the cream lids also and the big glass cookie jar in there.

how many jars do you plan on using?

think i need to get on ebay later for a look - never bought a thing on there before lol

thanks for the photo pics too they look good!

i love the look of this candy table - wond
    er could i achieve this look myself??

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

I bought the sweets for my sweetie table today, I got them from the cash and carry. I got my jars all various sizes from Ikea great prices. My mother in law already had smaller scoops. I am not going for a colourful sweetie table just one that looks decent and sweets hopefully everyone will tuck into.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I want to do a sweetie table too and I think they look lovely when done really well Smiley smile
    I'd say ebay for everything as well it's the cheapest I've seen, not been shopping for mine yet but will be getting scoops and personalised bags from ebay and as many sweeties online cheap as I can unless we find any cheap shops while looking about for jars, will be getting bowls jars etc from a mix of b&m, bargain stores and ikea I think! Love the pics posted on this thread they look lovely!

• Blue&bling
    Beginner July 2014
    Blue&bling ·
    • Hide content

I want to do my own sweetie table too! I hope it will save money, the prices Ive seen to get someone to do it is over £150!

Ive seen small ice tongs for 99p! I just googled ice tongs and they seemed cheaper than ebay etc. So if I cant find scoops cheap enough will go for tongs.

The pics on here are amazing! I defo want some lollipops!

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ice tongs sound a good idea! The scoops on eBay look good too wondering willl a 5oz scoop be too big for jars, guess il have to order to find oth though! Really gonna try and track the lollipops down we have a retro candy shop in my town so will try there. Throwing packets of good date sweeties in my trolley each week in Tesco don't notice it all mounting up doing it this way! The Ikea jars look cool too plan to tie cord round mine and add wee luggage labelsof what's in the jars! Even in a sum bought a wee cream toast rack lol random thought of stacking the sweet bags in it...sound crap??

• D
    Beginner September 2013
    Doddyclaire ·
    • Hide content

Ooops we've done one for ours in two weeks, and like everything else.....I got a bit carried away!! LOL, we've just had a practice run and I do think we'll be eating haribos' and the like well into the next decade Smiley laugh But its been good fun, we even used trimmed branches from OH's 20-odd year old silver birch that he planted when he first bought the house, as our sweet tree stems as a real personal touch - not that anyone else will know but we will!!

• M
    Beginner July 2014
    missk1989 ·
    • Hide content

I like the toast rack thing. We are going to use a cake stand for marshmellows too.

• M
    Beginner July 2014
    missk1989 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the toast rack thing. We are going to use a cake stand for marshmellows too.

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in a seaside town too must start looking in random shops!

What kinda cake stand you using for marshmallow?

Lol at haribo for the next decade - did you go to the like of makro or just buy as you see good offers?

Has anyone seen any brown paper bag sweetie bags online?

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thought I would bump this as I am trying to find stainless steel scoops slightly smaller than this for our candy buffet as I dont Imagine they will fit in the jars we have - has anyone else used these with jars from ikea etc, i just think the jars will be too small for the scoops??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ36P4Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d6_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0JF7ZHAD8DWEVWEYM39K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=429454147&pf_rd_i=468294

HELP!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
  • meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Elixia - will keep those in mind its the scoops I am struggling to get size wise, thinking a 3oz scoop might be better unless any of you brides to be have used the 5oz ones and they fit fine?? even plastic ones would do the trick!!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I' ll keep looking i did see some ages ago just trying to remember where

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks :-) I read the reviews of those amazon ones too and a good few ordered them for a candy buffet so should maybe be ok might order them only 5.69 and free delivery

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Lollipops are great thanks :-)

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    Soontobe.MrsM ·
    • Hide content

I was in hobby raft yesterday and saw these 'DIY candy table' sets - wasn't very expensive (can't remember how much though) and they had 3 different size scoops - bags and labels for the jars Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics