Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2017

diy centerpieces vs hiring

MrsGtobe2017, 29 of October of 2015 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi,

I've just started looking to get an idea of what centrepieces I would like and I am wondering whether doing them yourself saves any money or not compared to hiring them? I was thinking I wanted tall centrepieces with a big floral top, but that's going to be expensive to make and to hire because of the flowers.

Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by HappyIvoryStationery14757, 24 of October of 2019 at 11:41
  • J
    Beginner May 2018
    Jade1990 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm also wanting to do my own centrepieces (as well as everything else), not just for cheapness but as I love to be creative so think I'll enjoy it.

If you weren't bothered about having real flowers you could opt for fake ones which would save money. Silk ones will be cheaper than real ones yet a little more costly than the bog standard fake ones, but they will look better, and if they are up a height in a tall vase no one will really be able to tell!

Have you looked on www.countrybaskets.co.uk they have loads of wedding supplies and not too expensive.

Vases you could advertise for on here and just use 2nd hand ones as they will be in great condition if only used for centrepieces, and you could in turn sell them on. Or alternatively, check ebay, gumtree etc for 2nd hand ones.

xx

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing as little as possible creatively for our wedding - I have the imagination, just no energy or ability to make them happen! As such, our florist (who also decorates the venue) is probably going to do it all!

I've just had a quote come in from her today for everything - our centrepieces are going to be a tall clear vase, with winding stems/greenery and sunflowers or similar gerberas for £33 each table. We might have a mirror to stand the vase on, which is an additional £3.50 per table.

For £36 I'd rather have someone else do it and less stress on me!

• P
    Beginner August 2016
    Potter&Me ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on what type you'd like. You mentioned tall centrepieces which will be more costly as you say both to make or hire, than for example fish bowl style vases which I've seen at under £5 each in quite a few shops. It also depends on how many tables you're having, I think we'll have around 10 guest table so a large vase alone could easily total £100 which to me is quite a lot. I really like the jam jar style on a hessian square and then I'd just need to buy some ribbon or lace to decorate and the flowers would be very small arrangements. Or I do also like the small wooden box flower container or zinc bucket which would be a similar price per item to buy to the fish bowls and from what I've seen these are cheaper to buy than to hire. I guess it depends what your budget will allow and how handy you are at picking and arranging flowers. Like others have mentioned you may be able to find some pre-loved 'vases' that would suit.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

It depends on whether you are very creative and have the time to do these things.

Our venue is supplying our candelabras and the florist is covering them in ivy for £10 per table... then I've bought some pearl garlands to be hung off them (the florist will add them for me though).

Bear in mind you will need to have it all put on the tables etc yourself, and it depends on your venue whether you can set up the day before. I would rather pay someone else to do it all for me so I can just relax on the morning of the wedding and enjoy being with my bridesmaids and family.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsGtobe2017 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I'm starting to think that paying someone else to do it will be better. I love being creative but I think for the stress and how particular I would be about how it was arranged- I'd rather someone else do it.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring, I didn't like the thought of all those flowers going to waste so we're having candelabras on mirror with tea lights & crystals around bottom. Candelabra has ivy and couple ( fake) roses in them. Getting a package along with seat covers, mr&mrs sign, bay trees, etc. the thought of stressing over table decorations on day of wedding fills me with horror. I'd Rather be out for a run Smiley smile

But if you like doing crafty stuff then I totally get it.

• H
    Beginner December 2019
    HappyIvoryStationery14757 ·
    • Hide content

I am not hiring I am actually buying this centerpiece . I am using candelabra centerpiece for my wedding.

I would like to share photograph of that product. Have a look. These are 40 Inch tall candelabra in silver plated finish and I have 6 table to decorate.

If you guys are in USA you can contact SIMCS HANDICRAFTS for buying these. Looks awesome to me when I saw it for the first time online. We can also use these candelabras as floor standing and as per website product's description it holds both taper and pillar candles.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics