Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

DIY cheese

20 of March of 2015 at 16:42 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi Hitchers.

is anyone doing their own DIY cheese tower/cake?

I am looking for a good (read:cheap) supplier of cheese wheels to make my own, or suppliers of ready to go ones if they're cheap enough.

8 replies

Latest activity by fairyfay, 26 of March of 2015 at 12:54
  • A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

I am doing DIY cheese! I haven't decided to go with a 'cheese cake' or just buy large slabs/wheels. The M&S cheese cakes look the best from what I have seen http://www.marksandspencer.com/small-cheese-celebration-cake/p/p60039368?mfPartNumber=00821896&carousel=FUNV_RR

There is a larger one than this. I have bought so many packets of crackers and chutneys so far, just need the cheese. Planning to decorate with fruit and our caterer will provide large bowls of salads. Saving a lot of money by doing this, I estimate the evening buffet of cheese, salads and cake and maybe some cold meats will cost under £300 for 130 people.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Costco? They do prepard ones but I think also have wheels. We used the cheese shed to get an idea of what we wanted as they have a build your cheese cake so you can see what it looks like and roughly how much you need for the number of people. They do prepared ones too

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if you are anywhere London, but Smithfields meat market has a cheese/meat/deli shop there (2 infact). Both sell cheese wheels in various types which you could make into your own cheese tower. Very reasonably priced to.

There is also Neals cheese sell cheese towers from £91 & deliver . http://www.nealsyarddairyshop.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/NealsYardDairy/_515523/1/Celebration%2520Cakes

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

"DIY Cheese"

It would be extreme going to the trouble of making your own cheese! I know that's not what you meant, but it is the first thing I thought ?

A stack of your own wheels would be great! They can work out stupidly expensive but as others have mentioned there are better priced and equally delish versions about.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

We are doing this too. We're planning to buy the wheels separately as DF is fussy and wants good cheese Smiley smile

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

This was ours and was an M&S one, I was told it was very tasty.

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

I am very lucky to have a talented friend, I asked him if he could get me a piece of wood to display the cheese on and he ran away with the idea and ended up with this amazing stand ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics