Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

venart
Beginner June 2013

DIY fabric flower bouquets?

venart, 12 of March of 2012 at 16:46 Posted on Planning 0 12

So I'm trying to find ways around having real flowers at the wedding other than those provided by the venue... I just can't justify how much they cost, and while I at first was planning to buy fresh flowers and put together our bouquets the morning of the wedding.. well, I've recently been wobbling over whether we'll have the time, and I don't think I want to have that stress!

So I looked into fake flowers.. but they're also fairly expensive- I might as well get fresh flower done up by a florist!

And then I stumbled upon this:

And thought... wow, how interesting! Now, I wouldn't really want a bouquet entirely of those, but I was looking at Martha Stewart Weddings and she has tons of DIY fabric and paper flower tutorials, which look lovely:

I think I kind of like the fact that they're very obviously fake. I'm not a fan of the fake-flowers-that-should-look-completely real, and I could make some of these using cath kidston print fabric, which I'll be using for the bunting and sweets table tablecloth.. And I could use pages from old books for the the music ones first pictures, to be added throughout.

Do you think this could work? I do like real flowers, but I'm trying to cut costs.

12 replies

Latest activity by LeedsBride, 12 of March of 2012 at 21:20
  • B
    Beginner March 2014
    babybl00 ·
    • Hide content

I've just been emailed this so though it might be useful.

https://www.theknot.com/paper

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

I love the tea stained sheet music flowers, and the eclectic mix of buttons in the middles are so different Smiley smile

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Useless at this sort of creativity but I LOVE the sheet music flowers!!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Phew! I am SO glad other people like them, too. I'm pretty crafty, so I think I'm ok doing it. And I have a TON of buttons on all sorts, and quite a few of them vintage-y metal ones, so will try my hand at them.

I really like those lace flowers, actually. I'll have to find a few good fabrics to try out. I know I mentioned Cath Kidston prints in the OP, but in the 90 minutes since posting I've changed my mind already!! The garden theme is only in the evening as my day part of the venue is very traditional/historical, so I think the sheet music flowers are the best bet afterall. May just have to throw in a few lace ones to spice it up, and maybe make the BM bouquets all fabric!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

The one at the top? LOVE! I will be trying to recreate those!

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS! It's so pretty, imagine a whole bouquet of those ?

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

@ venart and leedsgurl - thanks! The lace ones are easy actually. Get a length of lace. Take one end and fasten on your thread. Then roll the lace up putting in stitches as you go to catch the edge. As you roll, you can bunch it slightly or fold it back on itself, in areas to get rid of the uniformed roll effect. Fasten off the end of the lace. The centre piece is an old earing a friend donated, which I stitched on, but you could easily do the same with some peral beads.

With the paper flowers you could use photocopies of love poems or sonnets or quotes about love, or classic romantic stories. Or copies of favourite songs/poems/quotes you and your OH have wihch would make it very personal.

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

The vintage paper bouquet is lovely. I've made button bouquets. I've just posted a link in the for sale section as I have lots of left over buttons....there may be some that you could use...I have a jar of metal/vintage buttons listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290682872798?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_949

Raincloud - your corsages are very pretty.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I just found another fabric flower bouquet, and it's gorgeous! I just had to share it:

• westlakedesigns
    westlakedesigns ·
    • Hide content

This one is stunning, love it

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks raincloud ? you could do a 'how to' video on youtube ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics