Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2012

DIY flowers...help!!!

Molly01092012, 25 of July of 2012 at 13:54 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience of / was planning to do their own flowers for their wedding?

I'm having my bouquets and buttonholes done by a florist but want to do the centrepieces myself - assortment of flowers in jam jars.

I was going to get the flowers from Covent Garden Flower Market but i think the Olympics has put a stop to that. Not sure how I would get there! So thinking now to order the flowers from the same florist thats doing my bouquet etc - but will this make it more expensive?

And I'm not that knowledgeable about flowers, does anyone know any good websites where I can research name / colours / seasons etc?

Also, budgeting... I've budgeted about £150 for flowers (say 3 jars per table, 12 tables) - is that enough?

Basically, any help or advice would be appreciated! I'm bordering on a flap over this one!

Thanks.

11 replies

Latest activity by SingleNoMore, 27 of July of 2012 at 11:32
  • teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

I booked a florist intensing to have her do everything but since booking I have decided I am going to (try) do my own brooch bouquet, buttonholes and BM bouquets using dried lavender.

Now I am thinking of also doing the centrepieces but if I do they will be using foam roses and dried lavender so that I can prepare them in advance!

At this stage I am having the florist do some venue decoration including ceremony table flowers and centrepieces (which are my own various teapots and teacups) and also OH buttonhole and MOB corsage.

If I was getitng married closer to home I would be doing fresh flower centrepieces. Have a look for a florist market near you.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - this site should help you with names, colours and availability for when you are getting married:-

http://www.flowers.org.uk/flowers/flowers-by-month/

For your budget - you have a maximum of £4 per jar so you would need to go for flowers with plenty on the stem such as spray carnations, chrysanths, gyp, solidaster etc to fill the jars out as much as possible. If you have a garden, utilise as much as poss in the way of foliage such as ivy, skimmia, laurel leaves etc to use as fillers but not cupressus (leylandii) as this is generally regarded as funeral foliage. It's worth having a word with your florist as she may be willing to do you a discount if you buy in bulk for the tables. Hope that helps.

• G
    Beginner November 2011
    GemGem81 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I didn't make my own centerpieces but I did order flowers for the ladies who were decorating the church from an online wholesalers:

https://nurseryfreshwholesaleflowers.com/wedding-flowers/

They were really helpful if you give them a ring they can suggest flowers to go with a particular colour scheme or budget and tell you what is in season. Delivery was very smooth and the quality of the flowers was excellent when I used them.

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    Molly01092012 ·
    • Hide content

I had looked into this.... never sure of internet companies so thanks for the recommendation.

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    Molly01092012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that's really helpful - I've been trawling through the last 30 minutes Smiley smile

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing all my own flowers - except for my bouquet which is too important for me to mess up! But I'm saving a ton of money by using artificial. I did my bridesmaid bouquets yesterday -

Just simple but still... (my scheme is purple and lime - they'll be in purple dresses)

And the centrepieces are a current project but they're causing me issues...mainly because I wanted them to be high....it would have been much easier if I'd chosen low ones!

Oh and Youtube has some great flower arranging videos!

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are so lovely! Well done x

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    Molly01092012 ·
    • Hide content

They look lovely, good work! Thanks for the you tube tip Smiley smile

Where did you get your artificial flowers from? Ever where I look they seem to be as expensive as real ones?!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

They're from Dunelm Mill! These ones to be exact - http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/artificial-foam-rose-bundle-168082#5050210700929

Cost £3.50 for a bunch of 6 individual ones

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    Molly01092012 ·
    • Hide content

I love Dunelm, what a fab find!! We don't have one near me but the OH is from Coventry so we always make a trip to Dunelm when we go and see his parents!! (Yes, that is my idea of a fun day out, haha!)

Thanks again.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am doing them for my daughter`s wedding and have bought artificial roses from a wholesaler called Village Green. They came very well packed and were very helpful. I bought the florist tape to bind them from ebay and crystals to put in the centres from my local haberdashery shop.

Hope this helps

Lynne

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Village Green are doing my bridal bouquet! They do bouquets to order so I've been emailing back and forth with them to design it. I'm glad you said the packing was good Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics