Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsG_to_be
Beginner July 2015

DIY Invitations - pocketfolds

MrsG_to_be, 6 of March of 2014 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 0 16

Has anyone had any experience using pocketfolds for invitations - have you purchased them blank or even made them from scratch? I saw a tutorial online for making them from scratch using sheets of card and want to give it a go. I can get the sheets of card and other materials for free from work office supplies so figured it would be free to make them (a huge bonus) but might be tricky or look really rubbish!

Just wondered if anyone else tried and failed or succeeded or should I just stop being tight and pay for them already done?!

Thanks

16 replies

Latest activity by Cache13, 7 of March of 2014 at 21:06
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I also got mine from PDA card and craft. I only got the actual pocketfolds from there, which were brilliant quality and quick and easy to stick together.

I made my own inserts though in Word, printed to A4 card and then cut to size. My work printer is a bit funny with different size paper etc so this was easier for me.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I'm intending to make my own but buying the pocketfolds pre cut from an online craft store. The actual blank pocketfold wasn't too expensive - it is the lace and pearl embellishments that I'm adding that bump up the price of mine.

I wonder if you could buy the pocketfold element precut and use the 'free card' for your inlay and inserts?

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I've tried a couple of types of pocket fold, it was harder than it looked (I was trying to use one piece of A4 card to do it though). We need to put a lot of information into our invitations so that's why I thought this was the best option. I'm still not too convinced I like what I have done so will come back to it at some point (below is my first attempts). I'm sure others will also say this, give yourself plenty of time to make them, they will take a lot longer than you think, especially there first few, but if it something you want to do then just give it a go. I know a lot of people on here made there own and they looked fab.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I was going to do pocket fold because of the info I need to include, but I've decided to try a vertical cheque book style instead but have each page layered iykwim with the bottom of each page saying what's included, eg Invitation, Information, Menu, and then was going to tie the RSVP cards and envelopes. This way I know standard sized paper, card and envelopes will all fit. I'm using DL size. Not decided how to fix the covers and pages together yet, poss tape or a brad.

its such great fun but quite hard as you want to do such a good job.

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, I think I might just buy the pre cut ones and assemble them myself with the inserts. PDA site looks good and cheap!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I ordered all my card, envelopes and paper from PDA, they'll pre-cut if you want a standard size which is great. They were super so can highly recommend them. x

• W
    Beginner November 2014
    Wife In Training ·
    • Hide content

Someone recommended www.pocketfoldinvites.co.uk on here a while back, we got our pre-cut pocketfolds from here and they are really good quality- quick delivery too : )

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I made my own - I bought a pack of plain white pre-folded cards and a thick pad of patterned card. I cut the pockets out of the patterned card and stuck them onto the card. Pretty easy and very cheap! This was the inside of them to give you an idea:

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

they are beautiful!! X

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Pammy! x

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

Il be doing this too- I found an online tutorial which is so helpful! Here's a link I have saved for when the time comes:

http://upcycledtreasures.com/2013/08/diy-wedding-invitations-part-2/

I know you have found a tutorial already, but this perspective may help.

Good luck!

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are beautiful! Did you design them on a computer and then print them? Sorry for the ignorance here! X

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Oh those are really lovely, well done! I love the font too, it goes so well with the paper.

OP - I'd advise against cutting them yourself. I think that it would really be time consuming, and difficult to get really good sharp results. Yould need to use a guillotine, knife steel ruler and something to score the folds. PDA, as mentioned many times here, is second to none and reasonably priced. You could compromise and buy the card blanks from there then make your own inserts using the free card you can get.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's not ignorant at all! Yes, that's exactly what I did. I started off using Gimp for the design with the birds and the branch and then found it easier to save that as a picture and do the rest in Word. I used to have Photoshop years ago and loved it but can't use it on my laptop and so I used Gimp instead. It's free but not as friendly to use as Photoshop I don't think! The pad of patterned paper that we had had loads of different designs so the invitations were all a bit different which I liked.

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! I have photoshop on my work laptop so could definitely have a play around there. Thanks again for your inspiration! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics