Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

DIY Makeup

27 of October of 2017 at 09:22 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi guys!

Any other brides planning on doing their own makeup on the big day? I couldn’t believe how expensive it was, and with a tight budget, don’t have much of a choice! Even debating doing my hair myself too ?.

Is anyone doing the same? Any tips at all?

I'm wondering if there are any really good foundations people would reccomend aswell, obviously need something that would last the whole day!

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Esther

7 replies

Latest activity by Nida, 11 of October of 2022 at 07:12
  • SunnyYellowStationery942
    Beginner April 2019
    SunnyYellowStationery942 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, Esther!

You shouldn't be afraid because of it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube, how to creat perfect wedding makeup. But my tip: try it several days before exact the wedding.

As far as I know Givenhy Actimine, Clarins Eclat minute are good, but they are not cheap.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

My mum is doing my hair, we have got lots of you tube videos so we can practice. I'm going to have lessons for make up, at an illamasqua or Mac counter in Debenhams. You have to pay for them but you get the value back to spend on products, hope that that helps x

• R
    Beginner April 2019
    RomanticYellowConfetti938 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Esther

I did my best friends makeup on her wedding day as she needed to save money so you're not alone! I'll be doing my own makeup (as well as all my bridesmaids when I get married in 18 months).

I would recommend first of all that you practice a lot, use Youtube videos for help on application and to get ideas of how you want your makeup to look on the big day.

Product wise- what skin type are you? Oily, dry etc?

I can recommend a few products if you let me know!

Kelsie

• _
    Beginner July 2019
    _Tinderella_ ·
    • Hide content

One of my bridesmaids is doing my hair and make up and she's actually going on a bridal makeup course too in prep! I know she will listen to exactly what I want (and have some better ideas than me!) so suits me not to have a professional. She has just got engaged so I'm sure she will be on here soon with some makeup tips!

• R
    Beginner January 2018
    RomanticPinkDecor912 ·
    • Hide content

I'm very lucky as my best friend is also my hairdresser! So she's doing my hair no problem.

But for makeup, I'm in the same place as you - I need to do my own due to budget, and also I'm scared that a MUA will cake it on. I don't need my makeup to last a whole long day, as we're only having a small ceremony then a coffee and cake reception then that's it, but as I struggle to remember to even put mascara on on a daily basis, I'm not exactly au fait with proper makeup. My sister-in-law-to-be is a manager at one of the big makeup counters so I'm tempted to ask her to help me try some ideas out, show me how to do things, but at the same time... she is one of those who cakes it on and is very into 'contouring', which I am not. Neither is the H2B! He doesn't like me in a lot of makeup so turning up with a full face is not the plan.

I think I'm going to splash out and get a set of false lash extensions. I had them done for a friend's wedding this summer, and they stayed in about 10 weeks (actually, I still have about 3 left on each eye, 15 weeks later!) and it DID make a massive difference, so if you're worried about your mascara running or want to make a feature of your eyes, it would totally absolutely be worth it. It takes a couple of hours to get them done, and I also get my eyebrows tinted at the same time to help frame my face without the need for lots of brow makeup.

Hope that helps!

• R
    Beginner October 2018
    RomanticPurpleDecor781 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I know this is quite an oldish thread now but I am doing my own make up too and wanted to try and help you out a bit! I'm quite good at make up and spend a lot of time watching youtube to learn new skills.

To do bridal make up on a budget is totally do-able. I've been scouring the lands for the best imaginable foundation, and have been asking different make up counters for colour matching and testers - the best one that I've found for a good and natural coverage is YSL touche éclat foundation - it's an expensive one but if you get a tester you'd get a solid 3 applications in it (if you love it you could even try a YSL counter in a different store to make sure you've got plenty)

For eye make up I use a combination of expensive palettes as well as cheaper ones, NYX have really great purse friendly eyeshadow palettes, and you can create your own palette with shades of your choice and their palettes start at about £12.99. Sleek make up do lovely palettes with great shimmery shades for £8.99 (you can get NYX and Sleek in boots). I'd probably recommend some fake eyelashes, I love Eylure 117 which I get from bodycare for like £4.50.

As long as you get a decent primer, and a setting spray (I love Urban Decay All Nighter which is £10 a bottle but lasts ages but NYX have good reviews on theirs which are like £6) you'll be fine! There are some really simple and beautiful looks you can do without using too many products.

Good luck!

• B
    Beginner November 2018
    Billie06 ·
    • Hide content

Hey Ladies,

I'm a makeup artist and do offer cheaper alternatives (www.muabillie.com and @muabillie) - i dont like caking but enhancing natural features and I use cruelty free and paraben free products.

I'm also going to be doing my own makeup on the day but i know i will be stressed so trying to stay relaxed lol

However, a few good tips and foundations - literally go to all the makeup counters and ask them to do a colour match on your skin. Once they have done that, ask for a sample! these samples should last you more than 2/3 applications. This way you have something you can try before the big day to see if it lasts all day and if it feels to heavy or not.

I would say depending on your skin type is what foundation to go for.

as the other ladies have said, just practice practice practice! there are a lot of youtube videos and i'd say the best simple and great ones are by Charlotte Tilbury and Wayne Goss!

Good luck all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics