Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K

DIY problem - knackered screw

KJB, 29 June, 2009 at 10:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

I've knackered a screw I need to remove and there is no longer any bits for the Phillips screwdriver to fit into.

Normally when I've done this a mixture of (my not very strong) brute force, pliers, WD40 and good luck means I manage to loosen it enough to turn by hand.

Not this time though. I've tried everything I can think of.

What can I do? I've heard stories of 'drilling it out' - is the literally as it sounds? eg drilling the screw away?

Just to make things more interesting, it's to open my security light glass to replace the bulb, so I'm up a step ladder whilst doing it!

3 replies

Latest activity by Viva Suzi, 29 June, 2009 at 12:10
  • hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Any chance you could use a hacksaw to get a decent line in the screwhead and use a normal screwdriver on it?

• K
    KJB ·
    • Hide content

Oo I think this might be possible. Will try this later on and report back.

It did move a teeny bit before I @rsed it up, so hopefully this means it's not stuck solid and just needs some means of getting some purchase on it to turn it, to loosen it up enough to then be able to remove it by hand.

Thanks

• St. Knickerless
    Beginner August 2002
    St. Knickerless ·
    • Hide content

Get yourself one of these https://www.jmldirect.com/

I got ours from Wilkinsons - it is great

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

This may not work if you have mullered the head but next time a good tip is to oddly turn it one half turn in the wrong direction (ie tighten it) and then back again - this often helps loosen it up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics