Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner November 2017

DIY Self Catering Autumn Wedding Plans!.

AriS, 3 of December of 2014 at 12:29 Posted on Planning 0 7

My partner and I have been together for something along the lines of 5 years now (he remembers the anniversary, I forget every year). Our budget is pretty small, as we don't see the point in spending loads when that money could go as a deposit on our mortgage! We're looking at spending, tops, £5000. Do-able? Entirely!

Family-wise, mine is quite small (due to a couple of bereavements in the last couple of years, a few of the best characters won't be there), and the FH's is really big in comparison. Allow me to illustrate this - kids, aunts, uncles and cousins included, my side is 12 people. His? 32. I've got some close family friends coming, which evens it up nicely (they're practically family, anyway), plus the best friends we've known for the last 7 years gives our guest count a grand total of 62. We're not having +1's because if we don't know them, we don't really want them there! Food is our way of expressing love - if we love you, we want to feed you! Explains why our waistlines aren't as small as they should be...

Anyways, that just explains a little bit of our family background.

Neither of us are religious, so a civil ceremony was always the way to go. I looked at getting married in a hotel or something, and it was a) money we can't afford and b) the second you mentioned the word "wedding" they were all over us like a rash trying to sell us glitterati seat covers and calla lily bouquets. It's just not our thing, so we looked into the local registry office. It's quite pretty, actually!

Next job - reception venue. We looked into village halls, with criteria being enough space (dancing isn't really a priority for us) for everyone, plus a buffet (I'll explain that in a minute) and a well equipped kitchen, less than 30 minutes drive from the registry office. We found a couple - one was really expensive - kinda felt like Goldilocks at this point -one was really cheap, but a bit on the small side, and one was just about right! It's a gorgeous village hall, wooden paneling, a mezzanine (I love a good mezzanine floor) and a reasonable kitchen! (PS, sorry for the small pictures, they're only from Google. I forgot to take them when we went up to visit!)

Next thing - we'd discussed catering, and come up with three things that we wanted. Simple, tasty and family-friendly. Long story short, on my caterers hunt I found two potentials. I don't know why, but around then I started getting irked - why would we be paying people to do something we could do just as well (if not better) and guarantee everyone would like it?! I worked in mass catering for several years, so I know how hard it is. This, however, would be a labour of love. I researched. I triple checked. I asked The Knot what they thought (I hadn't discovered this site yet) and received some criticism, which allowed us to change and develop what we wanted to serve.

Originally, I was looking at doing a fork buffet style thing - hot chicken, cold salads - but it was pointed out to me by a my best-brides-man that it'll be October, and cold, and therefore salads might be a tad too summery. I asked him what he'd like to eat and he gave be the best answer I've ever had. "Lamb stew. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it tastes good."

So off goes my creativity. I'm discussing this with my partner (also a lover of simple, but delicious, food). To my mind, stew by itself just wouldn't feel special enough, I could make it any day of the week. Then I was thinking about bread to serve with it and I had a Eureka, light bulb moment.

Bread bowls. Bowls made out of bread. It'll be fun (or at least a bit different), it's simple (good food doesn't have to be complicated) and entirely family friendly.

The bowls can be made the day before (they're best if they're a little stale, it soaks up the gravy more). The stews (maybe three different types?) can be made ahead, kept in the freezer, defrosted the day before and re-heated on the stove. It can be served with croutons made from the bread innards, roasted rosemary potatoes (boiled new potatoes, crushed a little bit, oil, garlic and rosemary on top, in oven for half an hour - everything but the final roasting can be done the day before - and roasted vegetables - done the day before, reheated.

WRT helpers, we intend to hire a couple of up-and-coming teenagers from the local catering college to help with keeping the buffet full, serving arrival drinks, keeping glasses full during dinner, clearing away, etc. It'll look goof on their CV and they can earn pocket money. Win-win! Our wedding is intended to be dry; neither myself or my partner drink much, so we've found a couple of fun mocktails, plus the usual tea/coffee/soft drinks, AND there's the potential for a hot chocolate bar. Gooey marshmallows and squirty cream, FTW! There will be a cash bar if anyone is desperate for a drink, but hopefully not. I know it's against etiquette, but as a guest I'd prefer to be given the option of the provided refreshment, or buying something from the bar if I so desired.

My point is, we're all a bunch of foodies, and this is our ultimate way of saying thank-you for coming to celebrate with us. The effort, I think, will be entirely worth it. Logistically, we're hiring the hall for the evening before (setup and get 90% of the food in the fridges) and the morning after (clear down time!). We might be hiring a day-of coordinator just to keep an eye on things while we're not there on the wedding morning/afternoon. We want the whole thing to be relaxed and family-orientated.

What do you think?

7 replies

Latest activity by HeavyMetalMaiden, 4 of December of 2014 at 11:21
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea as I'm a sucker for stew! Especially with bread! My only advise would be to have a trial run or two! You don't want a bread bowl accident on the day! You could also have an alternative to stew such as chilli or chicken chasseur or soup! The possibilities are endless!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds ace. The only thing I would say is October can be scorchio so quite difficult to gauge, so perhaps as well as stews, how about some pulled pork type food as well. I love a good stew it has to be said, but if it ends up being a roasting day then it could be too hot. Could you slip into November perhaps when to me stews really start to come into their own?

We've had two family does over the past two Octobers and both times people have been outside getting burnt in the sun. You simply can't rely on our weather especially in those difficult months of September, October and March, April when it really can do anything. The other months aren't much better lol. X

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fantastic (although I'd agree with pammy67 on the unpredictability of autumn weather - it's quite often fine until the middle of the month).

I totally think you're right to use your talent and expertise to shape the day too (mine is in planning events AT places, so I've gone that route but would totally have done what you have if I had catering skills)

• A
    Beginner November 2017
    AriS ·
    • Hide content

Sounds awesome! I don't see the point in trying to bend ourselves into hosting the kind of event that a) neither of us are comfortable with and b) breaks our budget with fancy schmancy stuff.

Thank you for all the encouragement!

• A
    Beginner November 2017
    AriS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Literally the funniest picture - "Oh the wedding was fab, except for the bread bowl accident!"

Thanks for the encouragement!

• A
    Beginner November 2017
    AriS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're looking at the end of October (half-term holidays) if we have to do it midweek, but if it's a weekend, moving it to November or even December will be do-able!

Thanks for your suggestions! xx

• M
    makingpretties ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds fabulous and if its what you want and you know your guests will like it I say do it! Its going add another personal touch to your special day.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Wow. SNAP!

Regarding the grub, I think your idea is fab! Go for it, the bread bowl idea is awesome hehe!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics