Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LottaVictualia
Savvy

DIY side tiara help

LottaVictualia, 13 November, 2011 at 18:05 Posted on Planning 0 3

I quite like the idea of making my own side tiara. I have very short brown hair and want a plain (maybe ribbon covered band) with a stunning pearly and not too sparkly brooch or similar. Does anyone know where I can buy the jewellery elements? Or is it just a matter of buying a normal brooch? Jewellery HiBs, are you willing to reveal your sources lol?

3 replies

Latest activity by RebeccaC, 18 November, 2011 at 12:54
  • lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Many of my side tiaras are made with brooches. Some people leave the pins on but I for comfort I like to remove the pin. The metal underneath will need filing down so that it is smooth and then you can wire it onto the band (without the pin restricting how you can place it on the band).

• LottaVictualia
    Savvy
    LottaVictualia ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, Lisa, this is very helpful. Do you buy most of your brooches on the internet? I'll start looking...

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

Ditto what Lisa said about the brooch backs. I sometimes leave them on, but usually only if requested to (if the bride wants to wear the piece as a brooch after the wedding for example, or if the brooch is a family heirloom and it can't be damaged!).

With regard to finding a brooch, I would have a good scout around on Ebay. I've bought some lovely pieces from there, however I don't use them often in my collection as I always worry about being able to continue a design (am never sure how reliable a seller will be at having more stock! and there is no point me advertising a design if I can't repeat it!). But for one off pieces (which I assume is what you are planning) then its a great resource!

?

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I use beads, embellishments, brooches - anything which I can incorporate!!!! Bead shops are a good source and the internet. Make sure you buy Swarovski crystals - these are much more stunning than cheaper crystal!

I love making tiaras and wedding accessories. I'm sure you will love making yours! Good Luck!!!

Rebecca

simplysilverbridalprom.com

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics