Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2013

DIY Wedding album / photo book - anyone done one?

lumc86, 29 May, 2012 at 14:30 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello,

Finally booked our TOG at the weekend. We'd met them at a wedding fair months ago, and after more research decided they were definitely the ones for us. Unfortunately, the£1200 (!) we're paying, doesnt include an album, although we do get access to all the photo's. The album examples they showed us were beautiful, however they were an extra £700 or £1100 on top of what we're already paying!

So, we've decided to make our own album/photobook using one of the vrious websites around. Which should hopefully cost us about 10% of what they are charging. I've had a look at a few sites, but does anyone have any personal recommendations of who to use/who NOT to use? And is the finished product decent?

Thanks!

xx

11 replies

Latest activity by before40, 30 May, 2012 at 15:49
  • Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

The problem you have is that most commercial companies use CMYK printers, and photographers edit in RGB. This can lead to really dull prints. See here: https://creativepublic.com/print-output-rgb-cmyk.php

In all honesty, I would save up after the wedding and go with one of your tog's albums.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We're planning on doing as Bazza says - saving up and getting a pro album eventually. But unfortunately this may be some time. So we're going to get one done online in the meantime.

Bazza - the glossary on myPublisher is here: http://www.mypublisher.com/support/question/glossary-pc.

Does this mean they print using RGB and therefore the quality should be better?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

They actually all print in CMYK, but the professional labs are pretty good at converting RGB to CMYK for their printers. Togs can also preview in Photoshop first, if they get the labs printing profile and adjust accordingly for print.

• JustaBitofFluff
    Beginner May 2013
    JustaBitofFluff ·
    • Hide content

We have had photobooks done from Albelli, Blurb, Mac (via both iphoto and aperture) and have been very pleased with all of them. We generally get our holiday photos done but I have had books made for my business from all of them and they came out beautifully (despite me editing them in photoshop in RGB, having taken them on my canon DSLR).

My experiences have been as follow -

Albelli were the most expensive but I did choose all the "high end" options glossy papers and image wrap covers etc and it is a stunning book. I would get it again for a special occasion.

Blurb, I loved the fact that I could also make an e-book of it for my ipad (and all friends can get ebook too as it works out v economical) and the quality was nice although not as high as the albelli, but then it was about 2/3 of the price ...

Mac I love the ease of use from my computer and its probably comparable with the blurb books on quality and price.

Hope that helps ?

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Ooh we were hoping to do this too... i'll be watching this post with interest.

• spaceman spiff
    Beginner May 2013
    spaceman spiff ·
    • Hide content

Clearly I've not had any wedding photos put into an album yet, but we did use Bob Books to produce a photobook from a New York trip and the quality was great. I was really happy with it and it looks really professional. The software you use to make the album was really flexible, but also pretty user friendly and the delivery time was also very impressive. I think we submitted our order on a Sat night (possibly even Sunday night) and it arrived on the Tuesday.

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

Was just looking at these earlier as our photographer friend is doing our wedding and just giving us a disk

I found this site that seems to have a few of the places the photographers go to

https://support.apple.com/photos

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

My sister did one for hers and it looked great - she used blurb. I am going to do the same to have one to show around and give to the parents etc. My mum did one of family photos, and if my mum can do it its not hard!! I have also brought some albums with the plastic bits to create my own from printed photos.

• R
    Recallys ·
    • Hide content

Does this mean they print using RGB and therefore the quality should be better?

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs B 2 be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have made a few on Albelli and chose the glossy pages and the quality is really good made a 13x10 cm one for my mum so she can carry it around in her bag, she loves it. I made a couple more last night, and you can view them online, here is a link to one I made if you fancy a look:

www.albelli.co.uk/view-online-photo-book/f0678f67-3b78-492b-8a5f-f041172941a9

xx

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My daughter made lovely keepsake books for the two sets of parents and for her sister by using Blurb. They are great and a lovely surprise gift. i am sure yours will be lovely whichever system you use.

lynne

• before40
    Beginner October 2012
    before40 ·
    • Hide content

Not done a wedding one but have used blurb for a child's first year book for my mum and also a much more complicated biography so text / photo book from them using a higher end paper, cover etc and was brilliant value and quality for about £25, the editing was time consuming for the latter, including a lot of scanned pics, but was well worth the time put in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics