Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsBarlowToBe
Beginner November 2014

DIY Wedding Invites

MrsBarlowToBe, 15 of May of 2013 at 19:34 Posted on Planning 0 23

HI fellow B2B's Smiley smile I'm thinking of making my own wedding invites and want to start getting some of the supplies for them early! I feel so unorganised with wedding stuff atm!! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make your own or if you can even flash me some for inspiration?! Thanks ladies Smiley smile

23 replies

Latest activity by samobrien10, 5 of September of 2013 at 10:04
  • M
    Beginner August 2018
    Maracamzico ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Craft shops are great for all the things you may need....lace, chiffon, ribbon, crystals etc and very cheap too!

definitely get a good quality card for it though! Do a google search for the invitations in whatever colour is your wedding scheme and you can find inspiration from that!

Good luck

Mara x

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about semi DIY?

I am currently working on a new concept where you can select a design from our portfolio or get a free bespoke design and tailor a full DIY Kit to suit your needs. You will receive full video and paper instructions, it will work out cheaper than get the invitations made and takes all the hassle out of buying all the bits and finding a design.

If you would like a chat about the possibility of doing this then please do get in touch *******@****************.**.**

Nat

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I went to my local craft shop said what I basically wanted and lady helped me gather all the bits I needed. Only got a small amount of stuff to make sure I could actually do it myself and to try it out. I ended up realising I needed thinner ribbon then I wanted/imagined in my head. So I'd recommend doing that before spending loads

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

We decided to buy a letterpress from eBay to print our own invites. Rather than using type we are getting polymer plates printed with our own design. Currently working on our STDs!

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    laura02010 ·
    • Hide content

These are mine, I got nearly everything from eBay and made about 70! Pretty easy to do and we had lots of lovely compliments! If you like something like this let me know and I could always email you a template Smiley smile

• Kimblebee
    Beginner May 2014
    Kimblebee ·
    • Hide content

These are lovely!

Where the pocketfolds expensive? I've been looking all over the place for them and they seem really pricey!

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    laura02010 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw thank you Smiley smile They were £18.99 for 25 on eBay - not sure if that's cheap or not really but making my own definitely saved me money!

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

Go to your local craft store to grab some materials, eBay or Etsy might be worth a try too because they have some really nice stuff at some bargain prices. I go to my local sewing shop for materials a lot of the time, they're usually super helpful and not crazy expensive because they're still a little high street shop. Making your invitations and STDs is a great idea! Smiley smile although I know some brides who said it was a lot of work, although it sounds like you have plenty of time.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hi, mine are REALLY simple!

I bought packs of cards from The Works and cut them in half to make the post card type thing and then printed on to coloured paper all the info, I designed the pattern using a CDROM my Ma bought me but I imagine the same effect could be created in word or publisher, then used roller tape to stick them on to avoid lumps and bumps, and then pretty much the same concept for my RSVP tags.

Costs roughly:

£8.00 pack of 50 cards and envelops (The Works)

£1 or £2 pack of green coloured paper, £1 or £2 white card (also The Works)

Few quid on luggage tags from eBay

Few quid on ribbon, also from eBay

£5 or so on the roller tape stuff- it has been so easy to use and also meant I didn't have to lick and envelopes!

Dunno how much Printer Ink I used, not a lot as they weren't new in and are still going,

Roughly I reckon they have cost me around 50p per invite- anything you wanna know just shout! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    Sooperdooper ·
    • Hide content

Wow, Laura0200 these are stunning, and look so professional !!!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Kjay, what's the cd rom called?

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Mine were really simple - we have a black and white theme so I just wanted to keep it simple and stylish. I looked on the internet for ideas and found some shapes I liked. Then I used paper to try out ideas and see how it would work. Then I bought some textured card, glue and pretend crystals. I created the black line by sticking white card on top of black - it looked nicer then just printing a black line around the outside.

My guests liked them so much that they all wanted to keep the RSVP piece!! I have only had one back Smiley smile but everyone else has told me they're going.

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I got pocketfolds from PDA Card and Craft - all cut for you all you need to do is fold and glue/tape them down then add inserts etc. Worked out ALOT cheaper than getting someone to do the same for me

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hi HundredMonkeys, it is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004FOQVE6 (sorry can't linkfrom my phone)

To be honest I am not the most computer savvy so didn't grasp how to use it properly but we are happy with the end results as it seems have been the recipients!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Thank you lovely one x

• J
    Beginner November 2014
    jery2013 ·
    • Hide content

Loved the selection and quality of the invitations of Invitesweddings. We didn't want to have to spend a lot of money, but didn't want to DIY either. I received so many compliments on our invitations! The staff was helpful and offered suggestions for changes before submitting the final proof for review. The process was painless and the invitations turned out beautiful!

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Sarah_coxy ·
    • Hide content

Whilst I love my invites for being well and truly different and definitely hand made - I would echo what the other hitchers have said in keeping them simple!

Mine were much too complicated and they took over my life a little bit.

Theres a lot of fun to be had down at craft shops and haberdasherys - Get involved! Smiley smile

• Gemini_Bride
    Beginner September 2014
    Gemini_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Sarah those are BEAUTIFUL. I admit I am a sucker for Kraft paper but the ribbion and colour are gorgeous! What lucky guests you have

• L
    Beginner July 2014
    Loz85 ·
    • Hide content

Your invites look amazing :-)

• L
    Beginner July 2014
    Loz85 ·
    • Hide content

Wow these look really good. I am not the most creative person in the world but I think I may ask my future sister in law to help.

Thanks for the inspiration :-)

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    jennapops ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are amazing! How did you do the inserts so neatly? I want to do something similar but think it would take hours of experimentation with the printer to get them to come out right! Do you have a template for them? Thanks

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Sarah_coxy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Gemini bride and Loz85

I am really pleased with them as I said, but every singleone of those hearts were individually punched and stuck on!

It really was a labour of love Smiley smile

• samobrien10
    samobrien10 ·
    • Hide content

We do offer a DIY service if you are interested. I'm certainly happy to offer advice if you would like to get in touch. I agree about keeping things simple. I think that having your own monogram or piece of artwork really makes your stationery stand out and adds a really personal touch. This can then be carried through from your save the dates and invitations to your wedding breakfast stationery and thank you cards! It could simply be an elegant monogram of your initials, or an image of your venue or another image that is personal to you both or that fits in with your wedding theme. It could be something that reflects the season in which you are getting married. I notice you are getting married at the end of November, so possibly a winter theme?

Please do get in touch if you would like some help! I'm happy to offer any of our designs as a DIY option too. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics