Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner July 2016

DIY wedding: job list on the day, what have I missed?

DevonBelle, 13 of May of 2016 at 02:49 Posted on Planning 0 4

Good morning everyone!

This is my first post on hitched, hi! I'm getting married late July in Devon. We have chosen a very simple reception with no seating plan, help yourself food, very relaxed and very chilled out at a location we are very familiar with.

I'm starting to put together a list of all the things that will need either doing, or at the very least will need attention, on the wedding day. I have plenty of people offering to help and wanting jobs, I just need to think of the jobs and delegate. Please let me know if you can think of anything else!

Someone to collect / distribute the buttonholes on the morning of the wedding

Someone to meet the DJ and band on the wedding day and show them where to go

Someone to cut the wedding up and give it out / tell people to go get a piece!

H2B's dad has offered to do things like announce our arrival, announce speeches, cake, first dance, if the vibe feels right on the night (said I want to play this by ear, as I don't want things too formal, but obvs it needs structure)

Someone to welcome the hog roast people... though they will be wanting to arrive at my reception venue around lunch time to set up, and no one will be here until later... this is stressing me out. (I must point out our reception venue isn't a "wedding" venue at all, the bar staff are turning up about 5pm so I can't really ask them to turn up at 12 and supervise.... argh!)

Someone (usher?) to encourage people to sign our guest book

Someone to collect up our cards at the end of the night and take them home (H2B's parents probably)

Also, me and H2B are staying in a hotel a few doors down on the wedding night, his dad has offered to check in our bags and collect our key. I will be changing out of wedding dress, so H2B's sister has offered to look after my wedding dress too.

Can anyone think of anything else? Even very small things? I'm panicked I'm forgetting things.... Also things like clearing up plates once people have finished eating. I feel awful delegating this "dirty" job to a guest but plates will need moving!! haha

...DIY wedding is a lot more work (and cost!) than I thought when I first got engaged.

Thanks! xx

4 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 20 of May of 2016 at 11:37
  • E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Is it possible to hire a day of coordinator? Or maybe some family friends who might want to earn a little extra cash and can handle the cake cutting and clearing up of the plates? It might be worth it just to avoid the stress on the day.

My venue is DIY too but they regularly host weddings so they sent us a spreadsheet to fill out. It lists every vendor, when they are expected to arrive, and who will greet them. Also things like who is responsible for setting up tables and chairs, and when.

I know you said you'd like to keep your wedding informal, but depending on the number of guests you're expecting you might want to reconsider creating a seating plan. I don't think you need place cards, but assigning guests to a table and then letting them choose their own seat could go a long way to making the day run more smoothly. The last thing you want is everyone milling around not sure where to sit, or random people being forced to sit together because they took too long making their way inside.

ETA: If you're giving tips to any of your suppliers or putting cash behind the bar you might want to designate someone (usually the Best Man) to handle those things. You don't want someone interrupting you to tell you the bar money is about to run out or other concerns.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I have been wondering all this too! MrsP2Be86, could you email me a blank copy of your spreadsheet please?! It sounds incredibly useful! Send me a message if you're happy to send me the doc. Thank you!

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    DevonBelle ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it!!

I'm really not keen on hiring someone, I have lots of people offering to help and really want to keep the DIY / all family together doing things an essential part of it. Not having a seating plan was my absolute final non - negotiation about having a wedding altogether, and again it keeps things informal.

I was more after a list of jobs that I might be missing, rather than looking for ways to change the look and feel of the day and solve these problems that way. Things like having someone nomintated to pay the band etc is exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

The venue itself isn't a wedding venue at all, so there's noone who works there that can guide us through things like that. The bar staff have offered to help and work the bar for free, out of the goodness of their hearts, so I don't really want to be asking them things and giving them extra jobs when they are already going out of their way for us.

Thanks

xx

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Arpee, I just saw your reply. I will just upload some screenshots here in case they will be helpful to others as well. The venue sent it to us with a rough outline and some questions that we should think about/provide answers to. I love that they've put the venue's rules in there as well. That way we won't forget and accidentally create a timeline that isn't feasible. I've filled in a few things like the makeup artist arrival time but for the most part this is what we were given. Obviously the timeline will be different because we are getting married in the US, but that can always be adjusted (and we're getting married in a camp so there are a few nontraditional items like waterfront time!). This is just the wedding day but it had sections for Friday and Sunday as well.

Here's the spreadsheet. Sorry it's broken up into parts. My screen would only display so much at once.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Some good tips in there. I especially like the "set up one table" so whoever else is doing it can follow that one example.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics