Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2012

DIY Wedding Make Up

Lauralazarus, 29 of May of 2012 at 13:37 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hello lovely brides!

I am getting married on the 16th June and having a minor crisis over my wedding make up. I want to do my own make up and a few people have advised me to go into a shop and have a lesson / makeover on what to have. I have a big john lewis near me- has anyone else done this and did you find any particular make-up counter was the best? Do I need to book in advance, and will I be expected to pay for a makeover or trial?

I don't wear a lot of make up on a daily basis and i'm a bit scared they will pile on the foundation and make me look like a different person. I'd really like to keep the make up on all day and see how it looks outside and how it feels, but is it poor form to ahve a trial and then not buy stuff?! I am a bit clueless and tempted to do just use what makeup i have but I know with help i could probably look alot nicer on the day!

Any advice very gratefully recieved Smiley smile

Thanks,

Laura

14 replies

Latest activity by Lauralazarus, 3 of June of 2012 at 17:32
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had a free trial at the Benefit counter in Boots.

She was lovely, there was no pressure to buy anything (although I bought all of it!) and it was free!

Then me and my sister had a couple of trial runs beforehand.

• M
    Beginner August 2012
    mariathorp ·
    • Hide content

Im having my actual wedding make up done by benefit! I cant get into my hotel room until 10am so having my makeup done before then in town. They are really helful and im having another trial on saturday (it doesnt cost anything.) Might be worth trying them if you have one near you. Its not costing anything foe me to have it done but i will buy a few things (lipstick) to use again on the day!

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had a free trial at Benefit in Boots too. They absolutely caked it on (or did to me - I don't really wear make up) and I didn't like the feel of the foundation, however, I did buy Porefection primer as it's a blimmin' miracle worker! I went back to Boots the next day and bought a brilliant foundation from Clinique. Clinique were ace matching my pasty Irish/greasy/porey/grim skin with a brilliant foundation and I'm so glad I went for it!

Doing own wedding make up is the way forward!

also - my mate got hers done by one of the girls on the Mac counter and she. looked. amazing!!!!!

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I've had a trial at Benefit in HOF & the girl was really good. No pressure to buy as I said I needed to see how it lasted & looked on photos in the sun & she gave me a free sample. I am going to go with their new foundation for my day. I suppose it all depends on how good the mua are at their job as to whether they pile it on or not.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Give the Mac counter a go...recently, I worked with a MUA who works for Mac too. She said all of the Mac girls are trained MUAs, with a minimum of 2 years experience in make up for fashion and photography, and they don't work on commission either.

• C
    Beginner
    candystripednic ·
    • Hide content

I've heard good things about both Benefit and Mac. If you're wanting to get some ideas on what you might want and how to apply it, why not look on Youtube? There are loads of video tutorials and stuff on there.

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    Sabriel ·
    • Hide content

MY sister is doing mine. Her trial for her own wedding was horrific. They drew her eyebrows on in really thick lines apparently! I was going to go shopping with her, and buy some really good makeup to get a few trials done beforehand. Thanks for the recommendations ladies x

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

I personally dont get the whole wedding make up thing. why is it such a big deal? i like you dont wear much and me and bms just did our own we pooled all our stuff together and picked what we liked it was very natural and didnt cost a penny.

we had no lessons/trials didnt even look at a picture lol!

foundation to match skin tone

light powder

pale pink blush

white and pink eyeshadow blended together very light coating

rosy pink/pale pink lipstick

mascara (no fake eyelashes)

pencil eyeliner

done Smiley laugh

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

Im going for a make up trial at bobbi brown on saturday so will let you know. xxx

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a benefit girl also, had a makeup trail in a john lewis and they where lovely I picked up there mag and mentally spent about £180 with out even breaking a sweat!! Im planning on getting some as birthday presents to keep the cost down. Good luck with it all a little tends to go a long way with good quality makeup. x

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Lauralazarus ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your brilliant advice! ?

I'm going to investigate the MAC and Benefit counters on saturday and get a trial done. I'll let you know if it's a success!

Laura xx

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I completely recommend the whole Bare Minerals range. The girls will try out colours then give you a list of what they used so you can buy it gradually. My daughter, myself and bridesmaids all used it for my daughter`s wedding and they all looked natural and it stayed all day.

Liz Earle skincare is great and she has just brought out a makeup range which no doubt is good too.

Hope that helps

Lynne

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If your OH will agree take hm with you, after all he is the one that your making all the effort for, in the past I have had my makeup done and my OH didnt like it and I would hate that to be the case in our wedding day. x

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Lauralazarus ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for your advice- I went to the Benefit counter and had a makeover/lesson (I told her I was clueless) with the lady there. She was really good and we tried i few foundations but i felt they still looked too heavy so we ended up going for a tinted moisturiser and highlighter. She understood the look I was going for and I kept the makeup on all day- I felt quite natural and stayed on very well. So I went back and bought a few things- I also spotted a brilliant bargain as two of the things from my trial are currently free with Glamour magazine! That Gal primer and the Pore minimiser. I'd already bought That Gal when I was the magazine so I took it back to the counter and swapped it for something else!!

The lady even gave me her name and number, and told me to call her on the day if i needed help in putting the makeup on.

I was a bit worried my OH would be put off when I got home with loads of makeup on but he just said 'you look nice' and when i said I was wearing new makeup he said it looked very natural and not caked on. So very happy.

Thanks everyone ?

Laura xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics