Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BertB
Beginner July 2013

DJ Cost?

BertB, 1 of February of 2012 at 10:32 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hi,

I've had a quote for a DJ and it was £545 from 7pm til 12pm. I just wondered how much you have been quoted/ are paying? Thanks.

29 replies

Latest activity by IshouldCoco, 10 of February of 2012 at 17:08
  • Gabbance
    Beginner February 2012
    Gabbance ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £385 - but he is the 'resident' DJ at our venue so it might be a bit cheaper than normal. Over £500 does sound a lot to me though!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £250, but that is only for about 3/4 hours!

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £325 for 7:30-midnight.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £900, that's after bargaining, but he's doing 4pm-12pm.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is charging £325 for 7-midnight then £75 to come in earlier in the day and set up so he doesn't have to do it when people are there. We're not sure if we're doing this yet as I need to see the room again and see how much space there is.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

$350 from 7 - 00.30. We paid seperately for lighting and uplighters.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £430 from 4pm - midnight

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Wow! We are paying £190 for 7.30 - Midnight.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

God my quote does seem high looking some of the others! Maybe I'll have another look at others...

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

One thing to bear in mind....they are all very different and offer a different service.

I do advise people to shop around...but not for price.... but instead for the service they offer.

Also the price often equates to how much they are worth, level of professionalism and experience.

If a DJ is regularly getting booked at £500 - £900 ...it''s because they're worth it. They wouldn't be able to continually get those fees if they weren't supplying over and above a DJ that goes out for £180.

I'm quite happy to share my price. Evening only is £550. Referrals last year made up most of my bookings... so that should indicate something.

I hope that helps.

• S
    Beginner June 2013
    Sarah67 ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £190 from 7 - midnight.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks. I did think this when looking. They do seem very proffessional and out of all the others recommended by the venue they do seem to be the best. Thanks for all the replys.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in suffolk but its on the border of essex too... would you mind saying who that one was?

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sue250 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is costing about £180, we got him cheaper because he was doing a deal at a wedding fayre. he is cheap but i have heard him and hes good (i recommended him to my brotehr who booked him). The resident DJ at our reception charges £500 and tbh he isnt the best

• D
    Beginner September 2012
    Delilah26 ·
    • Hide content

£300 for 6.45pm till 1.45am.

• D
    DJ Martin Hatten ·
    • Hide content

Hello my name is Martin. I am a young full time DJ. I began as a wine waiter at weddings at Stapleford Park amongst other 4 star hotels and country clubs in the midlands. At the time I was trying to become a karaoke DJ at bars. I was a bit bemused that after the first dance usually the dancefloor was empty and people were shy about dancing. I realised I could do a better job than the DJ's because of my experience with karaoke audiences.

Many people have a misconception that a DJ ought to scratch his own records or be a huge free mp3 jukebox that plays any request one can think of. This doesn't usually work because everyone has different tastes. A wedding DJ should play the music everyone loves and can enjoy together. Being in karaoke for so long I can tell which people are most likely to step up to the dance floor and provide a good enough variety to keep a long evening going.

In September I did my first wedding at Brownsover Hall in Rugby for the Brailsfords. It was a difficult job being my first one but I had everyone dancing to Motown, Whitney Houston, Blondie, Lionel Ritchie, Beyonce, David Guetta, Michael Jackson, Oasis, Blur, Buddy Holly, Maroon 5, from 9pm-1pm. I made a good mix of bride's choices on her playlist, as many requests as I could and my choice of songs to capture the mood of the audience. Beat matching and nice rhythm changes also help a good transition between songs to avoid dancers disappearing.

I have 8 couples on my books now but I need more weddings before I can break even on my new equipment and van.

I charge £350 for a wedding but I also include digital night photography and delivery free. I believe this is a fair rate for both myself and the couple for a guaranteed good night.

It is quite possible you may be able to get a DJ for as little as £150 or so but they are unlikely to be using modern equipment AND be fully covered in the event of a fault (or using legal music for that matter).

I have £10million PLI, PPL Produb licence, PAT tested equipment with a backup for all each of my devices. You need a DJ with these to cover your venue's insurance policy. I also run a van to transport my equipment in good condition.

I have a starcloth backdrop, moving head lights, and I can track a spotlight around with you as you take your first dance. Many wedding venues are quite gloomy otherwise. I also am looking to do marryoke since I did video editing at college and Uni. Please take a look at my website to see my other options.

You can take a look at my website I am building at www.selectadisco.com More photos will be up next week.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £200 and that also includes his travel costs as he lives about 50 miles away from where we're getting married but he's a DJ I've seen many times and knew I wanted!

I think we decided our evening reception is 7-12:30 so he will play all this time and arrive a bit earlier to set-up!

• J
    Beginner
    jonssmith2 ·
    • Hide content

Average dj cost is as follows :-The typical cost of a Professional Mobile Wedding Deejay is typically defined as being between $100 and $300 per hour.

hotel in daytona beach

• D
    DJ Martin Hatten ·
    • Hide content

Chelsmayes I'll happily DJ your wedding for you for £350 give me a ring on **** Smiley smile

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

Blimey mines 200 for 7.30 till 12

xx

• beady
    Beginner September 2012
    beady ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £140 from 7.30pm til Midnight, myself and a few friends run charity disco nights and we have used him several times and he is absolutely fab, I swear the dance floor is never empty. And the £140 isn't a special rate cos we know him, he actually charges us less when we do our charity nights. His equipment is modern and he is reliable and professional so if you know someone is good then I don't think paying under a certain amount means that they aren't professional.

• aalur
    Beginner July 2012
    aalur ·
    • Hide content

Mines £180 for 7-midnight, he will play whatever i want. i told him i was thinking of getting all the guests to request a song before the day so i can create a personalized playlist and he said that is fine.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £340 for 7-12.

• winyard
    winyard ·
    • Hide content

Much of the conversation is based purely on price but DJs aren't a commodity such as a chair cover or dance floor.

There can be a huge difference between one end of the market to the other and the price won't begin to tell you the full story. I for example have performed at well over 2,000 weddings, not only all over the UK but in many countries around the world and my prices are considerably higher than most. I also offer far more services than most DJs, but for those that compare solely on price I probably wouldn't even be considered by many. But for those that see there is much more to booking a DJ than price alone and want a night to remember for the rest of their lives and not just about saving a bit of money, they are more willing to meet with a DJ such as myself to discuss what I can do for them to make their night extremely special.

If music means a lot to you and you want to ensure that you and your guests have a great night to remember for the right reasons, for many years, I'd urge you to think about a lot more than just the price!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Martin - I doubt you are a commercial subscriber to Hitched, and so you are advertising and breaking the rules.

Apologies if you are paying to advertise here, but if you are not then your posts will be removed (as they have been reported).

Touting for work in this way is unprofessional and also unfair on legitimate DJ's who advertise under the rules.

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

That seems like good value - particularly if you have seen him many times - its the best recommendation there is.

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mmm just make sure you veto the list - Aunty Ethel might like 'Old Shep' by Elvis but......

Beware of request lists - you might get a long list of songs that only a few people will like/know

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Our DJ is £475 for 7pm - midnight. This also includes uplighting and advice cards (he is putting them on the remaining tables and around the venue for people to fill in to offer advice and messages to us - some he will read out on the night - all of them will go in a presentation book for us to keep).

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £125. I thought it sounded cheap, even for a resident DJ. I would have thought in the North West the average would be 300ish tbh.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics