Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xoxoxo2017
Beginner May 2017

Do BMs dresses have to “go” with your wedding dress??

xoxoxo2017, 17 of July of 2014 at 16:49 Posted on Planning 0 8

I have my wedding dress and know the styling and shape of it, the “original” BM dresses I chosen complemented it lovely and was also the shade of pink was in the same pallet as the ivory.

I’m worried now that no matter how hard I try (I want a-line / 1950 inspired knee length BM dresses) the BM dresses wont be “in keeping with” my wedding dress….?

8 replies

Latest activity by MrsB2015, 17 of July of 2014 at 22:27
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Frootishus please don't take this the wrong way but I really think you are overthinking all this bridesmaids business!

If it's 1950's style you are after check out that website I recommended earlier, Polkadot Polly or Vivien of Holloway or I know a couple of the ladies on here got theirs from Lindybop though I don't know what size they go up to.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Have what you want, it is your wedding. I just let my BM's pick their dresses and I paid for them. I wasn't bothered if they matched me.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, you are overthinking!

The only time I would notice that something didn't "go" would be if there was a big clash of style e.g. the bride in a long, classic dress and the BMs in something bright and arse-skimming, or maybe the bride in a tea-length dress and the BMs in longer dresses. Subtle differences in style or colours not matching on a "pallette" whatever that is, would pass me right by.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^This! As much as I love hearing/reading all your thoughts on what dresses to choose you're going to give yourself a hernia worrying about it so much. You've got ages yet before you need to find dresses - especially for your pregnant bridesmaid. If I were you I'd find something else to focus on for a few months and start looking again after Christmas. Who knows - you may just stumble across something when you least expect it!

To answer your question though - I don't think bridesmaids dresses have to "go" with your dress. They have to be dresses everyone likes (at least a little) and feel comfortable wearing. ?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

If I was u I would wait until after your BM has had her baby as you have no.idea what can happen with her body. If anything like me she might have a sicky pregnancy and end up lighter than she was before the baby. Also with her currently being a size 22 I think it would be best taking her shopping and letting her try one. I was a bridesmaid at a size 18 and even tho the dress was in my size it showed every part of me i hated. You said the baby will be 4 months when u get married so even a month after its born u have time to get something. More than anything you want your bms to feel comfy and happy in there dresses. Try not to worry u have loads of time yet. And maybe a flash of your dress will help us give u some future suggestions xx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

No. They had full length and I had tea length. It worked fine. Calm down fruity shoes.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Agree with all of the above.

You really do have plenty of time and with a pregnant bridesmaid now is not really the time to be looking.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Also while I'm thinking of it a lot of the 1950's style of dresses are halterneck. If you have a bigger girl who has just given birth you may want to stay away from halterneck. 2 of my bms are size 12 but have massive bangers and they asked if the dress could have straps and not be halterneck as the main attraction of the day would be their boobs! I know you want a style yo match your dress but my advice is go with a style that suits your girls! There's nothing worse than being a bm and feeling uncomfy or like certain parts of you are on show! Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics