Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ajdown
VIP September 2011

Do guys go to wedding fairs?

ajdown, 25 September, 2010 at 19:58 Posted on Planning 0 16

Easy question Smiley smile We've found a wedding fair on about 15 miles from where we're going to be tomorrow.

Now I realise that these sort of things do tend to be very 'bride-centric' - probably accompanied by her mother and the chief bridesmaid - but if the two of us just turn up are we likely to get some very strange looks and/or 'short shrift' from some places simply because I'm 'invading territory' by showing an interest in our big day?

Ladies, have your h2b's gone with you to wedding fairs, whether by choice or not?

16 replies

Latest activity by aecy, 26 September, 2010 at 21:17
  • Mrs_M_2b
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrs_M_2b ·
    • Hide content

No my H2B always comes with me and theres always lots of brides with their partners

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

My other half is coming with me tomorrow!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You aren't going to Fontwell are you?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Me and my OH are going to one next month. I think it's odd for a groom NOT to go, it should be something couples do together.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

My Oh went with me to The Earls Court one and i went with his sister to another. There will be plenty of blokes there so go and enjoy it. x

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Nope you wont get the funny looks, my h2b is coming to our local one cause he's taking an interest in our wedding too......

I get the impression from you that you think your the only h2b thats interested in their wedding because your the only h2b on here!?!

• MrsCoyleToBe
    Beginner November 2012
    MrsCoyleToBe ·
    • Hide content

My h2b is going with me to one next month.

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

My OH came to every one with me..... Not that he had much choice mind, lol.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

The only thing my H2B refuses to come to is The National Wedding show.. mainly cos I'm taking 4 other girls with me, he thinks it'll be a "Vagina fest" - His words! Haha!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't have "much to compare to" as I don't know anyone else personally who is getting married at the moment, and those I know of who have recently never really talked about it at all.

I've never heard one of my male friends who's got married say that they went off to loads of wedding fairs - and most of the comments about their wedding were along the lines of "how hard can it be to find a pair of shoes, that's 20 shops now" so, basically I'm pretty clueless on these things.

As it seems I'm not likely to be the only guy there, that does help me feel less nervous about going. Thanks.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

You won't look out of place at all - it's quite common for the Groom to go - not that they usually get much say in the matter LOL! - Nice to have another Groom on here - Wonder how Groom with a View is going on these days now he is an OM? He was funny!

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my oh has been to a few with me. i am going today with my mum only as Oh is working Smiley sadx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Well I/we survived, despite trouble getting there thanks to a long stretch of the A27 closed for roadworks (didn't think to check, but came back crosscounty which worked).

It was actually quite an enjoyable experience although I didn't see much 'specifically for the guys'. There were one or two stands where the people more or less blanked me and spoke just to my b2b, but most of those we had other reasons to discount anyway - one photographer's top package was over £3000!!!

Although this fair was a little away from the area we are getting married in, some of the people there were more west than east of the venue hence closer to where we were going to end up at.

We think we might have selected a photographer (assuming that he's free on the date we end up picking), some custom jewelery, and a possibility of a harpist if budget allows. Also a dress shop in Brighton that does 'plus sizes' seemed quite confident of finding her something in her size and will be followed up.

There's another one in Worthing in a couple of weeks, plus one organised by the chain of the venue we're settled on, so hopefully by christmas everything will be settled that we can prebook then it's just a case of 'little stuff' nearer the time as we work out what is left in the budget for 'luxury items'.

I did see a few potential bridezillas in the making there that were making the point to their families (or partners) that they will get whatever they want and the price just isn't an issue. Thankfully my b2b thinks more like me and we'll compromise to get the day we can afford, and want, rather than just one of those Smiley smile

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

There were a few small kiddies there today but they did generally look quite bored - apart from around the magician! It's not really suitable for children, to be honest, as it's quite busy and yes I expect they would easily get bored.

We went to the event at Fontwell today - although we're getting married in the new forest a number of the suppliers there were from the Portsmouth area which is quite travellable to where we hope to be able to confirm this week.

We live in London/Surrey but chose the New Forest as my family are in Somerset so it's a convenient half way point for everyone to travel to for our big day.

• aecy
    Beginner October 2011
    aecy ·
    • Hide content

My H2B has been to 3 fayres with me, last week I just went with my MIL2B, and my 2 BM's and I fell in love with a cake maker, a photographer and a florist! I didn't take the risk today so me and OH went to yet another fayre and luckily the tog and cake maker where there... and yes he loves them as much as I do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics