Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HLT
Beginner August 2012

Do I need a hoop for my dress?

HLT, 9 of March of 2012 at 22:07 Posted on Planning 0 24

Silly question I know, but I've seen a few mentions in here of dress hoops. What exactly do they do and does every dress need one? I don't really know anything about them, and nothing about a dress hoop was mentioned to me when I was dress shopping.

24 replies

Latest activity by The Bridal Room Leicester, 17 of March of 2012 at 08:57
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

A dress hoop keeps the dress away from your lower legs making it easier to walk in. It also gives the dress a more defined shape.

If you haven't been given a hoop to try on with your dress then I would imagine you don't need one but if you're not sure then just ask the shop. My dress needs one and I can hire the hoop for just £25

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying. I tried on quite a lot of dresses but there was no mention of a hoop for any of them. Think I will ask if they have one I can try when I go to collect my dress. Thanks, Helen

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

HLT, I'm having the same probelm. I didn't buy my dress from a shop so I have missed the big mirror WOW factor and also the advise they give. I am thinking of getting one to hold my A line dress out to give it more shape for the ceromony and photos, but think I will then take it off, but I have no idea which to get! Will be watching this post!

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

There are lots of different styles i wore a fishtail hoop with my dress it meant that i could move my feet a lot easier and made the shape more defined, i wore the hoop when i went for my fittings so we knew that it all looked right together. I hired mine from the dress shop and then returned it on the monday! best thing i hired, i could not imagine how difficult it would have been to walk without it

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If you go down the hoop route, do be careful when exiting the car as it can sometimes expose more that you bargained for!!!!!!!

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?? a whole different kind of flash!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed....Fortunately I am very discreet and never photograph this......Seen this happen dozens of times....

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Conversely though, I should add that the hoop can sometimes help the photography (apart from the bits mentioned above) as it gives a nice shape to the dress without the tog needing to apply too much extra effort. Then again, it can also hinder as any sitting down shots can be adversely affected by an overactive hoop not giving natural flow to the dress.

Your choice......

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say I did make sure I could sit down okay in my dress with the hoop on. Luckily it only has one structured hoop right at the bottom so no dodgy "flashes" & it doesn't look odd when I sit! : )

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

When I had my fittings I wore a big net petticoat. It wasn't a solid hoop but it still defined the bottom of the dress and I had a little walk in it and felt fine. I'll be trying a hoop on too when it comes to final fittings to see which I think is best and hire whichever one I chose.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Don't know if these pictures might help. First one is with a hoop, the second without. Please excuse the fat and stupid hair and face.

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

The hoops give the dresses a lovely shape but would try with a net underskirt also as these give a smoother flare Smiley smile it all depends on the shape, style and make of the dress as to whether it needs one, flash of your dress style? Smiley smile

• T
    Tricialen ·
    • Hide content

I am thinking of getting one to hold my A line dress out to give it more shape for the ceromony and photos, but think I will then take it off, but I have no idea which to get! Will be watching this post!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

WWLDS

I bought a hoop but when I tried it on with the dress, apprently it gave the wrong shape so I'm having to hire a petticoat from the shop (it's now on the for sale section if anyone's interested!)

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

This is interesting as i have been pondering what to do. I tried my dress on twice and the first time was without a hoop and second with, my mum has a photo on her phone of me in it and i can't remember if i had the hoop on or not in the photo so i have ordered a 3 hoop petti coat off ebay as i think it is without and my dress is A line but in the photo goes straight down up to the bottom of my hips then flares and i don't like that i wanted it to flare from my waist or hips. you can also see the shape of my frame i.e where my legs are it kind of goes /ll\ if that makes sense lol. Does that mean i didn't have a hoop on? The hoop i have ordered has 3 hoops in it so it should flare out now.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Great. Thanks girls for all the replies! My dress is Allure 8825. I actually called the shop this morning and asked about hoops. Was told it wasn't needed as "all the dress is underneath"! I didn't quite understand what she means but come to think of it, there was no mention at all of hoops for any of the dresses I tried on - in any of the shops actually. Where can I go to try them on with my dress? I didn't see any in the shop...

• jubileebride
    Beginner June 2012
    jubileebride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dress Twin! You look lovely! And I think the hoop looks better, I will be wearing one ! How are your plans coming along? xx

• K
    Beginner February 2014
    kyla25 ·
    • Hide content

Oh lordy peter uve got me all worried now, I need a hoop with mine, guna have to be on my extra guard and tone up lol xx

• The Bridal Room Leicester
    The Bridal Room Leicester ·
    • Hide content

We put hoops under every single dress that our brides to be try on right from the start

(with the exception of column dresses or very simple no train dresses)

I can't understand it when brides have to try them on without as the dresses always hang so much nicer and you can walk a lot easier

There are many different shapes available including mermaid and fishtale and I would recommend any bride to try one with their dress.

We don't sell hoops by the way so I am not biased!! ?

I think you can hire them from some shops or maybe could you borrow one?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Yes get a hoop as it gives your dress a much better shape and will be easier to walk in. I tried on five different hoops in my dress shop before we found the right one!

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great to have a bridal shop to comment, don't get many giving advice on here Smiley smile

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

The Bridal Room Leicester - Thanks so much for your response, that's really helpful. I am quite annoyed as it wasn't even mentioned to me when I was in the shop and when I called up the other day to ask the woman in the shop just said "No. You don't need it with your dress", although now I'm starting to think I do. My dress is A line but has a big train/trail (whatever it's called!!) but I do think it needs some shape at the bottom so will be trying some on. Ive checked the shops website and they do say that they are available to hire so I will get on the case and arrange to try some when I go for my first fitting. Once I've got an idea of what style and length (is that an option - I'm quite short!) then I will probably get Ebay'ing! Thanks again.

• D
    Beginner February 2013
    david1231 ·
    • Hide content

Looking great ...this dress is awesome Smiley smile

?

Ring Pillows

Mens Black Blazers

Business Continuity UK

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd say with hoop.

And I'm still laughing at ^^^^^

• The Bridal Room Leicester
    The Bridal Room Leicester ·
    • Hide content

HLT, thanks for your comment

A line dresses really benefit a lot from a hoop, the length will be fine they pull in with a drawstring on your waist so you can place it where you need it

You will see a massive difference when you try one and you will walk better as the dress wont hang around your feet

you look lovely by the way!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics