Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2012

Do I need to take my name change deed poll when I give notice??

KumariChang, 14 of November of 2011 at 18:49 Posted on Planning 0 15

I have to go and give notice this week and I have a british passport in my correct name however my name isn't the same as it is on my birth certificate as it was changed by deed poll. Is this relevant and should I take my deed poll or is it just my name they need to confirm as my legal name is on my passport? This is the first time we are both marrying but I wasn't sure if they have to check birth records and marriage records which would mean my old name would have to be checked??

15 replies

Latest activity by Gina, 3 of February of 2024 at 10:16
  • vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

I would bring the deed poll just to avoid any confusion.

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

Yes take your deed poll. They photocopied mine when we went.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I would take both. My H didn't want his middle name stated in our service but our registrar said you have to say what is on your birth certificate. They may have different rules in different area's but it's best to be on the safe side.....

• K
    Beginner May 2012
    KumariChang ·
    • Hide content

Yes I think you do have to say your full name but my name was legally changed by deed poll so the name on my birth certificate isn't my legal name but my passport has my legal name on and I have my deed poll and original birth certificate so I'll just take it all lol

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

For our wedding I have to prove every name I have had since birth - which is only my maiden name and 1st married name, which was a deed poll change before we got married, and as I can;t find the deed poll certificate I have to do the deed poll again!

• K
    Beginner May 2012
    KumariChang ·
    • Hide content

Hey honeybee, if your name was changed by deed poll did they use your legal name (the one on your deed poll) then?? not the one on your birth certificate?? I'd be well annoyed if they said I had to use the name that was on my birth certificate, I hate it (which is why I changed it)

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Thinking back to me 1st marriage (many years ago, 18 to be exact, lol) My ex swopped his 1st and middle names over by deed poll and he used his deed poll name when we got married. So just take everything with you, better to have too much information than not enough, , , Good luck, , , xx

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

You definitely don't have to use the name on your birth certificate if you have had it legally changed. My name was changed by deep pole when I was 16 and my new name was used in my wedding ceremony. I can't remember if I needed to take my deed pole certificate when I gave notice, but I suspect I did.

?

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

When we went the registrar told me to take it for OH as he has his name changed by deed pole.

They looked at that and his birth certificate. They asked whether he wanted to be referred to as his previous name and current name or wanted no mention of his previous name he said he wanted no mention of his previous name.

Ours was basically because when he was born his parents werent married so he was given his mothers surname however she tried to change it later but as his dads name was on his birth certificate they wouldnt do it and said it had to be done by deed pole so thats what they did.

Earlier this year his parents got married after nearly 30 years together and as a result of this oh was issued with a new birth certificate with his 'real name' on it which is name he changed it to via deed pole. However because they did this after we already gave notice we still had to take all the proof.

• Carli_Joanna
    Carli_Joanna ·
    • Hide content

Guess you may as well take it just in caseSmiley smile

• K
    Beginner May 2012
    KumariChang ·
    • Hide content

Did they put your birth name on your marriage notice as well or just your legal name??? I hope they don't have to do that I really hate it lol

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

As far as i'm aware they only with say the name on the deedpoll as this is you name now (you gave up the right to use your birth name)

I'm actually wanted them to use my old surname! I changed my surname and title (i'm a Mrs without being married) when i had our oldest son as i wanted to have the same surname and we never thought we'd able to afford getting married (but thanks to my parents we can)

• K
    Beginner May 2012
    KumariChang ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed then that they won't put it on my documents as it my maiden name still and it was changed legally but I'll find out tomorrow lol and congratulations on your wedding :-) xx

• Nikkie
    Beginner August 2024 Hampshire
    Nikkie ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

We just gave notice but my partner didn't realise he had his name legally changed by deed poll when he was young, and then reverted back again (he was little when it was changed from his birth name, and thought it wasn't done legally). Now I feel like we've fraudulently gone through the giving notice! Though his name now is his name at birth and is his name on his passport. I'm afraid to call them and then we have to go through the process and pay again...but equally want our marriage to be legal...!

• L
    Beginner February 2024 Essex
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I took my deed poll to give notice and my passport which is in my new name. The registrar said they will ask you pre-ceremony if you want your old name mentioned or if they want you to leave it out.
  • Gina
    Beginner August 2024 Staffordshire
    Gina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hiya! We have just accidentally done the same. I completely forgot about a name change I had when I was really young (from my fathers to mothers surname). I don’t know what to do either! Sorry no help, but we are in the same boat

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics