Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner February 2015

Do I REALLY need false lashes?

jemster, 18 of January of 2015 at 23:05 Posted on Planning 0 30

I've been told my eyes will disappear on the photos if I don't wear them - not my eyes specifically but eyes in general. I've never worn them in my life and not a high maintenance girl though I do always wear eyes shadow. I don't want to risk 'spoiling' the photos with my disappearing eyes!

What do you think?

30 replies

Latest activity by Pam @ Beauti, 10 of February of 2015 at 18:21
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I didn't wear them. I still had eyes.

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Ha!ha!? thank you!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I trialled them and absolutely hated them, so I didn't wear them either.

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

Granted I've not been married yet, but I've had my photo taken on many occasions through my life - I've never worn fake lashes, you can see my eyes in all the photos!

Unless you look at photos of yourself ordinarily and think 'goodness, where are my eyes?! I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about ?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I have small eyes so I had lvl lashes done. My pro photos are not ready yet but in the guest ones I've seen so far my eyes still look small! So I dunno. Maybe you don't need them. In real life, I feel loads better with them.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'd never worn them before but my MUA convinced me to put a few on at the trial. I was a bit unsure about them, but everyone else commented on my eye color so i thought there may be something in it. I wanted it to look as natural as possible so she didn't go overboard with them.

It looked really good (even if I say so myself). I do think they emphasised my eyes more in the photos... And in my case i don't think that can be put down to the photographer because he was average at best.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I never wear them, but I will be having them for the wedding I think. I have short, stubby lashes and I feel that my eyes "pop" a bit more with them.

You definitely do not need them, especially if you have a talented make up artist (or you're good at DIYing) who can bring out your eyes.

Lovely eyes are always more noticeable in photos though I think.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I love falsies!¬ A good quality pair can look gorgeous.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tinks1912 ·
    • Hide content

I never wear them, I've tried doing them myself a few times for nights out but they always end up in the bin. I did wear them for the first time as a bridesmaid last year though and loved them. They looked gorgeous in the photographs and made me feel good too. Be careful with which ones you choose though, mine were not individual lashes but not a strip either, they were in little clusters. They were a complete nightmare to get out, I was in tears by the end of it.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

I had cluster lashes for my wedding and I absolutely LOVED them. I'd never worn any false lashes but had them at my trial and wondered why I'd never discovered them before! Here's a before and after of me and my sister (who I also convinced to have them) my MUA took on the wedding morning.

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Mmm....I think I'm being swayed! I'm doing my own make up and aim to start practising soon.

Sillywrong - which eyelashes would you recommend? I really don't want the ones where they attach direct to your individual lashes although I know of someone who can do this. I don't like the thought of it but something that just glues on feels a bit better. I would like more length and thickness more so on the outer corners, for a slightly Sophia Loren look - hope you're old enough to have heard of her!!!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I have never worn false eyelashes in my life but my MU woman insisted on trying them and actually after a few minutes of them feeling very strange I got used to them and I actually love the look of them. They are a make called Eylure and are very natural. Do what you want and what you are comfortable with but I would also say just try them and see, you never know.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I have never worn false eyelashes in my life but my MU woman insisted on trying them and actually after a few minutes of them feeling very strange I got used to them and I actually love the look of them. They are a make called Eylure and are very natural. Do what you want and what you are comfortable with but I would also say just try them and see, you never know.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I love them! I think they look beautiful & really emphasise the eyes. I wear the strips when I go out, but for the wedding ill be having individual. I don't want to be worried the strips are falling off/going wonky or anything. Why don't you test them out before you decide?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

They certainly do make your eyes more fluttery in the photos and I had the individual ones on my wedding day.

If you are doing your own makeup then I would recommend having individual lashes applied professionally as they won't move all day. I use falsies for an occasional night out and have often had to touch them up and had them coming off at inopportune moments. Once I had them come off so many times I had to take them off completely as they were starting to look a mess. I was only out with friends so didn't bother too much but my eye makeup looked awful afterwards. Imagine that happening on your wedding day! If you are an expert at applying them and having them stay on for the whole day then great. If not I really would not want to be applying strip lashes on my wedding morning.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

They're not for everyone, and anyway a few layers of a good mascara and you won't really need them IMO.

x

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

My MUA is insisting I try some individual false lashes. It's not something I have ever tried before, I never thought I needed them. I am very lucky in that I have quite long lashes anyway. But I figure I might as well try them out at my trial - if I don't like them I'll jsut ask her not to use them on the day.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I wore them, the eyelure range are good x

• NorthSouthGirl
    Beginner November 2014
    NorthSouthGirl ·
    • Hide content

LOL

I have tiny piggy eyes that crinkle up in photos so i just look like i am squinting.

My MUA suggested lashes and i was a bit hesitant but she trialled me with something called baby lashes and they were amazing. You couldn't tell you had them on and they lasted a full day so i agreed to go with them.

I wore them on my weding day and again had no problems at all, and looking back on my pro photos which we have just got back, it was definitely a good idea. My eyes look more 'wide open' and not as 'piggy' ?

Each to their own though and its entirely your personal preference! x

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I'm a self confessed eyelash addict.I used to wear them every day but when I got engaged us had to save some more money for the wedding so I just wear them when I'm out now.

I love them and once you get the hang of it they go on in a few seconds.

I use eyelure and they last a few uses and are they best out of all the brands I've tried.

For my wedding I will have the individual semi permanent ones just because it will be the middle of summer and my eyes water so if i had the strips the glue would melt with my watery eyes and I won't be able to reapply them all the time. The semi permanent glue shouldn't melt haha.

I say go for it, I've got small eyes too and have never had an issue with my eyes disappearing, I think k they open them up x

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't going to bother as my lashes are pretty good but had the individual ones done and was so glad I did! It meant I didn't have to wear mascara and, with all the tears, that was a total blessing! And I loved them soooo much.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, that depends on your natural lashes! I'm 40 so I must have tried 100+ mascaras, and none of them have made my lashes look anything like false ones. With the lvl lashes I look like I'm wearing the 'natural look' falsies - I don't think anything could make them look like the 'glamorous' ones. They're just too short and stubby.

With regard to lash brands, I like Ardell as they're made from real hair, but Eylure are good too.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for false eyelashes & Eylure in particular. Wore them on my wedding day and loved them. They just make your eyes look more open and can still be subtle depending on the ones you pick. I'm now an eyelash addict (special occasions only).

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly. I think they added a lot on my wedding day and looked subtle

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you "need" them is a moot point, I think the question is, do false eyelashes make a difference and for most people the answer is yes. I love wearing falsies for special occasions as they do make my eyes look much wider and brighter. I have fairly good lashes but they do benefit from a bit of help as do most people.

I have had lash extentions before and found them uncomfortable especially when they were starting to come out. Strip lashes work well for me though and I second Eyelure. The key is to get the right ones. Don't go overboard with the really thick long and heavy ones - they can make your eyes look more closed and heavy, the more natural look effect though will make your eye's look much more awake and they also make you feel better too - imho.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

If you've got plenty of time why don't you try a serum to make your own grow thicker. I have been using one for brows and one for lashes. 8 weeks ago I had no eye brows at all and now I have some! Can't see a huge difference yet with the lashes might need to get them dyed

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

I use the benefit mascara 'there real' day to day and its fab. but if im going out or anywhere special i always wear individual lashes, i use the 'flirties' lashes, there lovely

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Have I understood correctly, if I do go for the usual glued on ones, if I cry my tears will melt the glue?

I am almost certainly going to cry, I just know it.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I've never worn them either, but my MUA insisted I try a strip of them yesterday. I LOVED them. They felt super glamourous!

Until last night when I couldn't get the glue off... (which was black). I scrubbed with baby wipes til I couldn't bear it anymore. Worst process ever, my eyes are still sore today!

• M
    manuela santos ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married in July , and even if it was really hot her makeup remained flawless. That's why I think is wise to wear professional makeup on your wedding day including falsies. The ones she had on were from a brand called Victorus Eyelashes ( she ordered them online at : www.victorusbeauty.com). You can try them by yourself but since they are individual flare lashes, a professional would be better.

Good luck and enjoy your wedding!

• Pam @ Beauti
    Pam @ Beauti ·
    • Hide content

Some of my brides prefer not to wear false lashes so we work together and bring out the eyes naturally so far everybody has been happy.

At the same time with the use of false lashes on others have been able to create real fabulous looks that would have been difficult without

Pam x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics