Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mel B
Beginner

Do I really need flowers in the church?

Mel B, 27 July, 2009 at 15:28 Posted on Planning 0 6

I am getting really stressed about money and was at my brother's wedding on saturday, they hadn't bought specific flowers for the church and just had the ones used for normal church services. I'm not sure that my church does flowers for a normal church service especially as my wedding is on a thursday, but I was wondering if I actually need flowers for the church as the service is only about 45mins and it'll be saving me about £100. Do you think people will notice/be bothered that there isn't any flowers?

What do you think and what would you do......please I need sound advice!!

Mel x

6 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 27 July, 2009 at 17:33
  • Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have any flowers in the Church. Didn't even decorate it with anything else. It was lovely the way it was.

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

I would say it's up to you.

I'm a fan of a bit of decor but don't necessarily think it has to be flowers. I went to a church ceremony where they had lots of candles. I also like seeing ribbon bows at the end of pews if possible - I think they are more effective than flowers. A lot of churches are so decorative themselves that sometimes flowers fade into the background. I think it is nice to have flowers on the table where you sign the register but you could put your bouquet down in front of the register instead.

If you did go for flowers - you can arrange for an usher or friend to take the flowers from the church to the reception venue so they can be re-used.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mel - Normally the ladies who do the church flowers do them on a Friday and they stay in church all week. As churches are by nature cold buildings, they last very well. So you will probably find that there are already flowers in the church albeit maybe not in your colour scheme. However, if you have a word with the vicar, he will ask the church ladies to do flowers in neutral colours so it doesn't clash with your colour scheme. Usually, they ask for a small donation for the church in return. As Amethyst says, bows on the pews are cheaper and just as pretty particularly if you go for the organza bows. They don't need to be on every pew, alternate pews are better or just the front pews where you both stand. You can ask the vicar for permission to place the bows in church the night before so everything is in place for the big day.

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Brenda - most Churches have a permanent flower display, and many will accomodate your colour scheme to some degree if they know in advance what you're after.

• Mel B
    Beginner
    Mel B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts.

Rainbow, Are the bows you mention, pull bows? Are they expensive?

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We are just having the flowers that the church provide - an arrangement at the front. thats all. They have told us that if we want more we can, but someone will have to take them out with us as the next wedding might not want them or have their own. So really, I dont think it is worth the extra cost. The only church flowers I am considering are some to go over the arch, although they are going to be £200 so might be having a rethink!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

You can buy pull bows from places like Hobbycraft and they work out at around 50p each but are usually sold in boxes. Or, you can buy organza on a roll (again from places like Hobbycraft) and make your own bows as big as you like. Organza varies in price depending on the width you buy but one roll will do at least 6 pew ends. Both types come in every colour under the sun!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics