Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ImagineIt
Beginner December 2012

Do I wear my engagement ring on the day?

ImagineIt, 5 November, 2012 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi Hitchers,

Quick question which has been bugging me!

My registrar said not to wear my engagement ring down the aisle as I need a naked finger to put my wedding ring on. She said to wear it on the other hand. It doesn't fit any other finger & I'd really like to have it on the day. What's the usual etiquette for engagement rings?

Thankin you all.x

17 replies

Latest activity by Blondilocks, 5 November, 2012 at 21:13
  • Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I wore mine on the other hand until after the ceremony than I swapped it over.

• kitty83
    Beginner March 2014
    kitty83 ·
    • Hide content

My mum is going to hold onto mine for the ceremony and then I'll put it back on for the photos afterwards. Is there someone trustworthy who can look after it for a few hours for you?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I wore mine on the other hand then swapped it back over as soon as we were married.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll be wearing mine on my other hand then swapping over.

It doesn't fit any other finger at all? It doesn't have to be the perfect fit, it's only going to be on there for a really short time.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I put mine on the other hand, it felt really strange and as soon as we sat down to sign the register I moved it back! Remember, it's only for like half an hour, if it doesn't quite fit I'm sure it won't come off during that short time! xx

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I swapped mine onto the other hand during the first hymn as I'd forgotten til then. If it doesn't fit I'd get your mum/bridesmaid to hold onto it during the service. I put it back over my wedding ring as we left the church.

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

It won't go over the knuckles of any other finger and is too loose for my little fingers. It just slides straight off.

I think I'll give it to my friend then who's driving me there on the day. She's a witness too, so could maybe give it to me before we sign the register.

I've ordered a little bridal bag to have with me on the day, so I could put it in there along with my chapstick. ?

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

Why do you have to have a naked finger? I assumed you put the WR on top of the ER?

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too ellebob, which is why I had the panic about it. ?

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now I'm panicking, haha! With my unshifting baby weight my ER now makes quite the groove on my finger so it would look pretty ugly naked

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Mine didn't fit on any other finger either, so my mum kept it in her bag until after the ceremony and meal (once all photos were mainly done), I then put it on in the gap before the evening thing, as people were asking to see my ring during the day, so it was easier to only be wearing the wedding ring.

• bexjoe
    Beginner May 2013
    bexjoe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this post! I didn't even consider that but it makes sense! Other finger for me too!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, its convention to take your ER off, get married and put your WR on, then the ER is worn on top on the WR.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

Apparently the wedding band is worn first as it is closest to your heart. I wear mine in the order: Wedding ring, engagement ring, eternity ring. Both my wedding and eternity rings are shaped to fit my engagement ring.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring sits on top of my wedding ring too.

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    Rachel88 ·
    • Hide content

When bridesmaid for my sister and my friend i wore their engagement ring and gave it to them when over signing the register. I will get one of them to wear mine then get it back later on. They didn't wear it on other hand as both wore a ring that belonged to their granny as their something old. xoxo

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I was planning to put my ER on my other hand, and putting it back on my ring finger after the ceremony.

I asked Mum about which way round she wore her rings (WR at base, ER at top), and apparently you wear them that way round, as you shouldn't take your WR off.

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

Mine doesn't fit on my other hand either - right ring finger is bigger than my left so it won't go over the knuckle and little finger is too small.

I think it fits on my daughter but not sure I want her to wear it! I was thinking just put the WR on top then switch it over.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics