Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Do night schools exist anymore?

22 of February of 2009 at 09:00 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I'm not even sure I'm asking with the right phrase. My Dad did O & A levels at night school (is that what it's called?), back in the mists of time. I did my A Levels at 6th Form, but lately have been getting very twitchy about the D I got in English Language & now want to re-sit it to get a better grade. However, I can't seem to find any evening courses which do A Levels, apart from a tiny handful at a college a fair distance from me & they only do a combined English Lang/Lit course, which is no good as I've already got a decent Eng Lit grade & just want to prove to myself I could have/should have got a better grade with the Lang. Is there no way of doing A Levels without going back to college?

14 replies

Latest activity by Shree, 10 of June of 2024 at 13:07
  • S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

Around us there are evening classes that cover A levels but they normally all start in Sept I think.

Where abouts are you ?

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to do a GCSE in IT (they didn't do it when I was at school - old fart!) but it is virtually impossible I found. No wonder teachers harp on about working hard while you're there, it seems if you miss it then you miss out!

It may be different where you are, and A levels may be more accessible. When I was doing mine we had an old boy in his 70s in our Spanish class, so it might be something you'd have to do in the day, which is rather impossible if you work. I got Ds in two of my A levels and wonder about retaking them, but they don't really matter now, do they?

• FizzyLizzy
    Beginner December 2004
    FizzyLizzy ·
    • Hide content

I did an AS in psychology last year at night school but as someone else said, the AS/A2 courses generally start in september so you do the exams at the same time as the day students. If you go to your local education authority's website and search for adult education you might find more info there.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I don't put my grades on! I just put that I got A levels. I got 2 Ds and C!

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Distance learning?

• sweetersong
    Beginner January 2006
    sweetersong ·
    • Hide content

I am doing an A level with ICS via distance learning, it may be your best bet if there is no local colleges doing it

• Hurtle Turtle
    Beginner June 2008
    Hurtle Turtle ·
    • Hide content

/courses/a-levels/ I was looking at these recently with a view to doing some A Levels, if you have no joy with colleges

• Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Nonie - I'm in the North West too and there are quite a few colleges near me that offer A-levels via evening classes. Happy to send you some links but obviously depends whereabouts you are as to whether they're useful! Have you tried LearnDirect? They're usually good at finding courses.

• Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Oh you're near me then - I've done an AS at Hopwood Hall - so they definitely do them as evening courses - I've had a nosey at their website but to be honest it's not always representative of what they actually offer, much better to given them a call www.hopwood.ac.uk

• IWantOne
    IWantOne ·
    • Hide content

If you are interested in distance learning then the National Extension Colleges offers a very wide range of courses: http://www.nec.ac.uk/info/

Or check www.hotcourses.com for evening courses near you.

HTH x

• N
    Beginner May 2024 Maharashtra
    Nilesh ·
    • Hide content

Hello.

I accidentally sent ETH from Meta mask to ETC on robinhood. I have been trying to recover it for weeks now. I succeeded when I reached out to support on; HACKRECOVERY [at] YANDEX d/o/t RU and with their help I was able to recover my lost ETH. I never knew I had a chance to get it back. So happy !
  • Z
    Quebec
    Ziya ·
    • Hide content

I had a terrible time a few weeks ago, I was convinced on telegram by a crypto investment firm to invest my funds and I did. But I was badly scammed that I couldn't get my funds and my returns or access my account. So I came across a review on funds recovery on Medium and I contacted this guys on, hackrecovery At yandex Dot ru, and with their efforts and services my funds were tracked and recovered. It is not a good experience losing funds while trading Crypto.

• A
    Beginner July 2024 Southern Finland
    Ayme ·
    • Hide content

Hello guys, I had a challenging time a few weeks ago. I transferred ETH from my Kucoin to my Metamask. I never saw the ETH on my wallet. I opened ether scan to see what happened to my Transaction and it shows me that my ETH was transferred directly to another address. The gas fee was much higher than the actual transferred Eth value. I tried to recover my money but it was difficult, since I don't know this address. To get my money back I had to seek the help of a recovery team on Hackrecovery AT yandex Dot ru, and with their support, I got my money recovered. Couldn't afford to lose such an amount of money.

• Shree
    Curious March 2019 Karnataka
    Shree ·
    • Hide content

Yes, night schools do still exist in many places. They are often referred to as adult education programs or continuing education classes. These programs offer a variety of courses and qualifications that can be taken outside of traditional school hours, catering to those who may be working during the day or have other commitments. If you are interested in improving your English Language qualification, enrolling in a night school or adult education program could be a great way to achieve that goal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics