Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hannah22
Beginner August 2012

Do pomeranians make good pets?

hannah22, 14 of May of 2012 at 10:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

So i have been thinking about getting a pomeranian puppy and after seeing everyones pictures pf their pets it has made me want one even more!

My question is, do they make good pets? We have only been in our house for a few months and im scared that a puppy will do its business all on our cream carpets and chew all our wood furniture ? Also we both work full-time, however i tend to work only 4-6 hour shifts in the week. Would this be too long to leave a dog on its own in our house?

I have heard that you can use a spray on deterent for furniture to stop chewing, does this work? Also what about the puppy pads for them to go toilet on?

So for those of you that have experience with pets, do you think we could live with a pomeranian or are there other breeds you think may work better? I would like a small dog if that helps as im not as keen on big dogs and im not a cat person.

Advice please!

6 replies

Latest activity by Scottish, 30 of October of 2023 at 00:35
  • hannah22
    Beginner August 2012
    hannah22 ·
    • Hide content

Anyone got any advice?

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I always thought poms were quite snappy - atleast the ones I've ever met, bit temperamental.

You could get a dog walker, or someone to come in during your working hours to let the dog out to do it's business.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Don't bother with puppy pads, they will just get eaten. Oh, and if your worried about your cream carpets I wouldn't get a puppy!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

As Tricks said, if you're bothered about carpets and wooden furniture - a puppy may not be for you.

Also, 6 hours is quite a long time to leave a young dog that isn't used to it. Would you be taking a couple of weeks of work while they settle in?

Have you thought about looking at shelters? Some have dogs that they are happy to go to homes where they may be left for more than four hours at a time if they are older and are used to it (a home is better than no home).

A dog is a massive commitment and they can get rather messy on walks etc so only get one if you're prepared for that.

• greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

Poms I have met tend to be a bit snappy, but then if well raised there are always exceptions.

I have cream carpets and had plenty of accidents when housetraining my little westie. All cleaned up with no problem so I wouldnt worry about that too much. Some dogs do chew, but I've never had that problem. He is in the kitchen when we are out where there is nothing to chew, and he knows when he is in other rooms with us what he is and isnt allowed to play with.

I work part time, and my partner works shifts so our doggie sometimes gets left for 4-5 hours which he can manage now he is a bit older. He couldn't hold that long to begin with, but you just clear it up and expect it really. When we are out for any longer than that he has a dog walker come at lunchtime, or sometimes goes to doggie day care (only worked out as a pound more than a hours walk)

Housetraining is without a doubt the hardest thing I have done to date. But totally worth it. You do need to be patient and not mind some sleep deprivation!!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I dont know about Poms but i have a dog and can only go from my experience of her - shes 11 months old...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics