Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner June 2019

Do registrars count people?!

HappyGoldStationery16326, 21 of May of 2019 at 19:29 Posted on Planning 0 2

So first off, we're idiots, but no judgement, please! Slightly stressed....

When we booked our venue (not a registry office), they said that we could have 70 guests at the ceremony, no problem. Sent out our Save the dates etc.

Our supplier, who we are renting chairs from, flagged to us that it wasn't just how many people could fit into the room physically, but there would be a capacity number on the venue licence that we'd need to stick to.

Spoke to the venue "it will be fine! But we'll follow up". A few months later. "Oh, it says 56....well we don't mind, stick with 70, the registrar won't check".

Now we are getting closer to the day, we are really nervous. We have to tell the registrar office the number of guests!

My research suggests the number on the licence is to do with fire regs, which the venue are happy to flout.

What I'm not clear on is:

-does the registrar care and will they check numbers? Or is the venue responsible for this. I know registrars are strict on their own premises. But I'm not clear if they will check in approved venues or leave it to the venue.

-has anyone been at a ceremony at an approved venue and seen a registrar count guests or has anyone been at an approved venue where guests have been asked to leave the ceremony room?

2 replies

Latest activity by Mintyslippers, 28 of May of 2019 at 09:58
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The limit on guest numbers applies to the venue. The registrars will not count the guests at a hotel venue as it's none of their business.

Registrars will only do that at venues operated by the council they work for. Eg in Leeds they will limit numbers to the maximum in each room at the Town Hall. But when they leave Council premises guest numbers are nothing to do with them.

• R
    Savvy August 2019
    RomanticPinkDecor31906 ·
    • Hide content

Yes it’s a venue issue not registrar. Sounds like the venue would taken them a couple of months to tell them the capacity anyway ;-)

the venue would get in trouble if there was a fire and not everyone got out. I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Mintyslippers
    Mintyslippers ·
    • Hide content

Capacity limit is nothing to do with their wedding licence, it's a fire safety thing. So the registrars don't care. They will have no idea what the venue is covered for anyway.

It is a little odd though that your venue doesn't know how many they are licenced for and I would guess that 70 in a room for 56 is going to be a bit of a squeeze.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics