Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsMeldrew
Beginner October 2012

Do side tiaras hurt??

MrsMeldrew, 28 March, 2012 at 15:21 Posted on Planning 0 21

Sounds like a daft question but do side tiaras dig in at the back of your ears? You know like a headband when you get that headache lol? i started thinking about it the other day and I remembered that every headband I've ever worn kills after about an hour!

21 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 30 March, 2012 at 08:04
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Thats what I'm worried about too!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I imagine it depends on the shape of your head and the type of headband used.

Mine had a fairly soft, covered band rather than a metal one and I didn't feel it all day. I think it's one of those things where you get what you pay for, though.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I think you might be right! I'll have to get trying on!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Good plan! I found the hard metal ones quite painful and I only have a small head!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping not! I asked mine to be covered with ivory ribbon specifically for this reason but the lovely west lake designs on here. I haven't tried it on yet though so hopefully it will be ok, couldn't imagine anything worse than wearing hard metal on my head all day, I do get headaches really easily though ?

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I dont always think you get what you pay for nessersarily where headband ect are concerned, I recently went dress shopping and loved a side headband which was £209, beautifully crafted with crystals and pearls but after trying just a few dresses on it started to hurt behind my ears and was so uncomfortable. And it wasnt just that one either, I tend to think all metal ones are going to hurt me because of my head shape. Still on the hunt for something beautiful and sparkly but not heavy as I think ill have to go for a slide or comb.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

I use metal bands, but manipulate mine to suit the shape of head for where it's going to be sitting. The same band can be used for an alice band or tiara and is fairly pliable. So it shouldn't hurt at all.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I think if it's a full metal one then maybe...i have already bought a side tiara but only because it was such a fab bargain at £4.50!! (i may not even wear it depending on what dress i get) and that is one with the material band and thats really comfy...i think it depends on the shape as well but just make sure that you have a hairstyle that means you 'could' take it out if its really hurting? ... heres my £4.50 bargain! haha ...

• xx Mrs Amor to be xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xx Mrs Amor to be xx ·
    • Hide content

How funny, I have just come home to a delivery of my side tiara, was soooo excited and them put it on my head! It is a metal band and I did check with the website I bought it from regarding the size and thought it would be fine. I am sitting here all night in it now to see how it feels after a while, my head isn't big by any means, but I think I may have to try and cushion the ends that go behind my ears :-(. BUT I love it!!!! Here it is; (sorry for the huge flash)

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I tried mine on & it fits fine with my glasses as well x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

All tiaras will probably be made from a metal band even if it's covered by ribbon and if the band is solid without any movement in it then if it's going to hurt it will do so whether it's covered in ribbon or not.

The bands I use are very flexible and it's one of the reasons I started the business because I couldn't find any bands to fit me and even the ones that were too big were in a stupid round shape that stabbed me. I shape the bands before I use them and encourage brides to flex out the ends if necessary. The beauty of my own handcrafted items means it's very hard (impossible even) to break the band whereas on some machine made designs they are welded together and any movement will just snap the design off.

You get what you pay for......well not really. I charge £20 for my single bands on flexible bases and I've seen the same designs in bridal shops for £60 but on a solid rigid base so it's not about the money spent.

Ask the designer if the bands are flexible.

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

For those who are worried about a metal band hurting behind the ears- it's useful to play around a little with the position of the band on your head. I wouldn't place it straight down behind my ears, but I tip the ends towards the back of the head so it's angled slightly (just try positioning it different ways if that doesn't make sense!)

The one I've made for my wedding is quite heavy, but still comfortable after wearing for a few hours (had a couple of trial runs doing the housework ? )

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Yes my one kills me after 30 mins and its soooo heavy, but im gonna put furniture leg cusshions on the end bits and it wont matter coz my hair will hide it.

im hoping this will help and wont feel so heavy one its all pinned in x this is mine

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly WSS in all respects.

I have had a rigid band which has dug into my head and also snapped when I tried to bend it slightly to relieve the pressure.

Most handmade jewellers like myself and Lynsey will use several types of metal bands which can be manipulated without breaking. Cushioning won't make a difference if the ends are tapered and pointing into your head - all my bands have the ends flicked out so that the band sits snuggly to the head and behind the ears but there is no pressure points.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. HIBs, will a comb do the same job as the tiara as I'm not sure I want to risk the pain!

• N
    Beginner June 2013
    natsastar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i love your side tiara...where did you get it & how much did u pay if u dont mind me asking? x

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

A comb with look as good but will need more securing so not so good with short or fine hair. Different designs of side tiaras fit differently from my experience and most are quite flexible these days. Just as a point of info anything not custom made off the internet can be returned it's the law, so you can return. I do a full refund on anything returned within 7 days and I can count on one hand the number returned in any year and I sell hundreds.

• xx Mrs Amor to be xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xx Mrs Amor to be xx ·
    • Hide content

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Mine didnt hurt at all, it was a double band with a side element from star struck designs, I wore it for 15 hours and had no problems at all!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends on your hairstyle as sometimes a side tiara will look better with the positioning but the same applies to combs as well. Like 3D said combs need more securing. If you like any of my designs I can send you a plain band to try on before placing an order.

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's sometimes easy to tell by the design, apart from looking beautiful this one has the chunky band and ends which is going to be uncomfortable after a while, this would be better on a comb or clip for finer hair, most of our bands are on flexible bands and wrapped with ribbon for extra comfort! You can also have them made on a ribbon wrapped wire that you can shape to your head or hair style, there is also the option of having the decoration on a ribbon to match your hair colour like the one above.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it isn't wide enough you could try finding something a little bigger than your head like a box, and placing the tiara over over it to stretch it open slightly. The longer you leave it there the more likely it is to loosen up a bit. You also should be able to straighten out the ends a bit if they are curving in and pincnching behind your ears, it may be the position too try turning it round or edging it back or forward a bit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics