Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

Do we buy all the outfits?

Lilacbouquet, 7 of September of 2016 at 12:22 Posted on Planning 0 9

Reading various different posts on here and in magazines had got me wondering, what outfits do we need to buy?

I am paying for my bridesmaids dresses, they are paying for their shoes and accessories etc. We haven't discussed hair and make-up so I may offer to go halves or something with them nearer the time. At the moment I am having 1 maid of honour and 1 bridesmaid however if my cousin gets her act together there will be 3 bridesmaids (our wedding is June 2018 so plenty of time).

What do we do in terms of groomsmen and dads? Presumably we pay for the best man and ushers? Would we give the best man & ushers a budget as we can't afford to spend hundreds on lots of outfits?!!

There are 2 dads and 1 stepdad, 1 best man, and 2 ushers.

Who should have button holes and corsages, parents and grandparents or every family member?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 27 of September of 2016 at 17:41
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

It's really up to you. If you do decide to hire or buy for all of the groomsmen, though, definitely set a budget and only look within that - the same as you would do for the BMs.

For my first wedding, we hired suits for my ex, his dad, my dad, the best man, and the ushers. We set a budget for the menswear as a whole, and looked at buying and hiring within that budget. A lot of hire places do special offers where if you hire so many suits, the Groom's suit is free. We ended up hiring from Slaters Menswear.

This time around, we've got OH, my dad, a best man, and two ushers. OH's dad is severely disabled and unlikely to attend the wedding. OH has bought his suit already, and we've asked the rest of the men to wear black suits which they already own. We're going for a bit of a more casual feel anyway, and it saves the hassle of getting all the men together for shopping, picking up the suits before the wedding and having to get them back to the shop the day after the wedding. Plus, it saves on the budget, of course!

Traditionally, corsages are given worn by the mums, while buttonholes are only worn by the dads, groom, best man, and ushers.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

We have OH, best man and ushers in the same suits. Dad's potentially wearing same suit, but buying their own. In terms or button holes we're going a bit overboard! OH, Best man, ushers, his dad, my dad, my mum's partner, grandad and his uncle (his wife and daughter are bridesmaids and don't want him to be left out). We're doing corsages for both mums, my step mum and grans ?

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

We're paying for suit hire for 2 best men (H2B couldn't make up his mind between two friends!), 3 ushers and both dads, and they will all wear button holes. We decided to use a local suit hire shop near where we live because we found them to be better value and H2B liked the quality more than other places we looked at. I think if you go for getting all the men a suit, its easier to get them all at the same time from the same place.

We're also paying for the dresses and hair and make-up for the 4 bridesmaids but they are paying for their shoes and accessories.

My florist said that if you go down the traditional route its the grooms party and then the mums who have button holes/corsages. Our mums aren't too fussed about it so we aren't getting them one. Obviously it's up to you though who gets one. Maybe if you are particularly close to certain family members like grandparents etc it would be nice to make them feel included by getting them one Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

It's up to you. The last time I was a bridesmaid I had my dress bought but I bought everything else and we did our own hair and make up. I had no problem with this because the bride was clear up front and gave me pretty much free reign so I could get something I could wear again. I had to buy a specific necklace but it was a couple of quid from the high street.

We will be paying for my solebridesmaids outfit, suits for best man, usher and both dads which will be from a hire place and comes with shoes. Me and OH will be picking their outfits. I'm paying for hair and make up for my bridesmaid, mum and future mother in law, but the girl I'm going to has done me a good deal so I'm not stretching my original budget. I wasn't going to pay for anyone's hair and make up at first.

We will also be paying the hotel costs for bridesmaid, usher and best man But we got two extra rooms free with our package and a discounted rate on the other room.

I think for button holes OH, best man, usher, both dads and both step dads will have them. Both mums will have corsages and my little boy is having a small button hole too.

When deciding what we were buying for people we planned our budget and worked from there to see what we could afford for people.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion anyone you ask to participate in your wedding should never end up out of pocket and if the couple can't afford to pay for the outfits for everyone then they shouldn't be doing it at all.

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

We bought the bridesmaid dresses (great deal in the Dorothy Perkins sale) - girls are supplying their own shoes (as the dresses are long so don't mind what they wear) and accessories. We've agreed to go halves for hair and makeup.

We've suggested buying suits rather than hiring, as it's just OH, one best man, and my Dad...and have suggested that we'll put what we paid for bridesmaid dresses towards each suit - though OH needs to discuss this with his best man.

We will just be having bouquets for me and 3 bridesmaids, and button holes for the 3 men. I hadn't even thought of a corsage until the florist asked me, and my Mum isn't bothered, so not bothering.

I would just suggest whatever you decide to do, that you're very clear early on with anyone involved if you're expecting them to contribute at all so at least they know and can agree to roles knowing any costs involved.

• disneyfanatic95
    Dedicated June 2017
    disneyfanatic95 ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I were going to pay for everything ourselves but our wedding party have been really good. One of our best men have said that he wants to pay for his own suit, but he knows a guy who makes them so he has said he will try to get us some discount. My family has said they are paying for all of my brother and sisters suits and dresses and my fiancées parents want to pay for the stuff. It is a big help but I feel guilty because I always wanted to pay for the stuff myself because I asked them.

my MOH on the other hand I think I'm paying for her dress but I'm making it clear that I'm not wanting to go above a certain price but if she sees a dress she likes and is willing to pay the difference then I'm happy to pay for it?

I actually forget about the buttonholes/corsages for our mothers. I should probably get looking at those.

tbh I think that if you have a strict budget tell them that you can only afford so much but if they see something they like get them to pay the difference. That way they will be in a dress they like and you wouldn't have gone over your budget.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For a start, anyone you ask to a wedding is always out of pocket when you include travel costs, a card or present, a new outfit etc! Secondly, we and a lot of other people on this forum are not millionaires and cannot afford a blingy wedding with millions of bridesmaids and groomsmen in a posh setting, and why should we not include the important people in our life because we don't have much money? I would much rather have the important people around me who are happy to be invited and involved if they are happy with the arrangements (which they are). And we are not going to wait until we do win the lottery to get married because that would never happen! That's fine if you are loaded an can have anything you want, go for it. But I asked for money advice not a criticism.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone else for your replies they have been very useful and it is nice to know what other people are doing. A price around here for a suit seems to be around £100 per suit but rent more than 4 and the groom goes free! The more people who require a suit the cost reduces per man anyway which is very helpful.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

At no point did I criticise you. This is a forum where people post questions and others give their opininions which is what I did. When I was a bridesmaid the bride paid for my dress, my shoes, my hair and my make up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics